A Conversation for Ask h2g2

ID Cards - Why?

Post 261

E G Mel

Induced, me never smiley - winkeye

Mel smiley - hsif *who owns store cards for almost everywhere she shops and half the places she doesn't!*

ID Cards - Why?

Post 262

Ancient Brit

Thanks Mel.
You have obviously been induced to carry a multiplicity of cards.
By implication I assume that you could be induced to carry an ID Card.
I have no doubt whatsoever that I could in spite of all the worries and fears that have been expounded in this coversation.
I would go further and suggest that due to the inherent vanity,greed and selfishness of humans they will do anything given the correct inducement.
smiley - ok

ID Cards - Why?

Post 263

Ancient Brit

This conversation has shown that you are not alone in your ' fears about id cards and their potential uses/abuse ' (Dare I say xanaticaphopbia..smiley - smiley..). But don't let's start that lot again.
What would induce induced you to carry an ID Card ?
Please don't let your reply induce an argument.. smiley - smiley

ID Cards - Why?

Post 264

E G Mel

I think if you could guarentee they were safe from fraud, you didn't need to carry them round and you weren't obliged to even have one!

Then add all the benefits such as loyalty cards, and you might get people's interest!

Mel smiley - hsif

ID Cards - Why?

Post 265

weegie

i find the whole idea of id cards abhorrent. i don't think there's any inducement that could get me to carry one. not even the threat of imprisonment.

we're at a bit of an en passe eh AB?

ID Cards - Why?

Post 266

Xanatic

So I've gotten a phobia named after me now?

ID Cards - Why?

Post 267

Ancient Brit

Mel - I tried via your personal space but you rebuffed me.
Re-Earth Mark one
If you were able to prove your ID beyond doubt.(An up to date birth certificate) you would have no need to carry it around unless the service that you required needed (induced..smiley - smiley) you to do so. In which case it would need an endorsement to cover that service. (eg, to travel, to drive a car, to obtain credit). It is bureaucracy and big business that have created all other forms of identity and in some way induced smiley - smiley you to carry them.

Re-h2g2
You enter and move freely around h2g2 with a simple name/ID.No. and password. This allows you be recognised/traced if need be and gives you access to the services and resources that are available. There is no need to carry a card. As a Newbie I have not found it necessary to have my h2g2-ID endorsed in any way. As I hike around I may find this necessary in order to join specific groups and activities or other aspects of h2g2. I am free to choose whether or not the carrot that is offered induces smiley - smiley me to do so.
Without an ID for its inhabitants h2g2 would not/could not exist..smiley - ok

It's Happening

Post 268

Ancient Brit

Be careful W****E - remember your new subject heading.
I thought we were friends.
Xanatic pressed the reply button to your posting.
Shall I remind her that 'xanaticaphobia' came about in posting 172 or will you ?
I find your reasoning so hard to follow.

It's Happening

Post 269

Ross

AB - Xanatic is a he not a she!!! as has already been pointed out in a number of previoous postings.

It's Happening

Post 270

Xanatic

It doesn't matter. What bothers me more is that saying ID cards seem like a bad idea due to fraud and such, is being described as a phobia.

Rossmania

Post 271

Ancient Brit

Ross - Thanks again for your reminder - Friend of yours ???

It's Happening

Post 272

Ross

Indeed Xanatic.

What bothers me is being berated for not reading things or sticking to the point by someone who patently doesnt do it themselves.

AB - numerous countries try to induce their citizens to vote (ok its a negative inducement - you get fined if you dont vote) and non of these countries has 100% turn out at elections.

So clearly there are some of us who will not be swayed by inducements if we think something is funamentally wrong, pointless whatever.

It's Happening

Post 273

Ancient Brit

Rossmania

Post 274

weegie

You and me are pals AB smiley - winkeye

You asked me what would induce me to carry an ID card - i said nothing, i don't really see why you have a problem with my reply - i don't see what i have to be careful about smiley - erm

just out of curiosity is 'xanaticaphobia' a real word - and what does it mean.

It's Happening

Post 275

Ancient Brit

Sorry - Pressed Wrong Button.. smiley - smiley

It's Happening

Post 276

Ku'Reshtin (Bring the beat back!)

Just a quick question, AB.. Are you using the tree structure of the discussion forum? That might be why it's a bit hard to follow the reasoning of some replies to certain posts.
I know that I myself don't use the tree structured forum layout, and every time I reply to any comments, I press the reply button on the last post and reply to all the posts I feel like replying to.

This post has nothing whatsoever to do with the subject of this thread, but I just needed to ask that.

And as far as I know, and as has been stated in several posts, and indeed several threads, Xanatic is a he.

Rossmania

Post 277

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

'xanaticaphobia' - the fear of not finding any nice, friendly girls in the near future smiley - winkeye

Rossmania

Post 278

Xanatic

Or maybe what the nice friendly girls suffer.

Experimental side of this conversation

Post 279

Ancient Brit

Lost in Scotland - Thanks for your help and consideration. Please drop in at my personal space we could discuss it there.
It doesn't help when you've read the manual. As an Ancient Brit I should have learned by now that rules are made to be broken..smiley - smiley
Actually I quite enjoy the confusion, this is the first time that I have stayed on line during a conversation. Normally I reply and come back next day. How do you hikers find the time ? Are you all retired ?
Of course time zones have some effect. (Lord knows what I shall INDUCE smiley - smiley with this posting.)
I've done the best I can to keep my act together, but I must confess that I'm about to give up. At the moment this is the only conversation that I've got.

It's Happening

Post 280

E G Mel

You all seem to be taking the word induced to mean you'll be punished if you don't.

What about the more common meaning of the word to mean you will be rewarded if you do.

*the closest I can find is persuaded, I think we all agree that persuaded often involves a bribe or logical argument, it only involves punishment when used by the baddie in a film smiley - winkeye*

If someone were to offer you a 'bribe' to have an ID card would it make any difference (let us assume that fraud is impossible, silly I know but we can dream, so lets all put on our imagination hats and... smiley - wizard). What would tempt you and why?

Mel smiley - hsif

Key: Complain about this post