A Conversation for Ask h2g2

It's Happening

Post 281

Xanatic

That I could go and buy a drink anywhere I wanted and get a blockbuster card and such, and use it in ATM and for internet transactions.

It's Happening

Post 282

weegie

i don't want to seem boring, but i just couldn't bring myself to carry one. on a very fundamental level i think they're wrong.

Define fatKelliitis

Post 283

Ancient Brit

fat Kelli - Hope I've got that right
I used 'xanaticaphobia' to describe fear of ID Cards.(posting 172-I think)
If your reply was aimed at me you must either press the correct reply button, use my Nick name in some way, or use my name within the context of what it is you want to define
Such as :-
AncientBritonian : One from the old school
xanaticaphobia - see above.
Steudy and Rossmania have already been taken (see earlier postings)

Play this game if you like it gets you well away from the topic of conversation.
To avoid further confusion Xanatica : Ste : Ross and AncienBrit have now been utilised, please do not use them again ..smiley - smiley
You can put your own definition to fatKelliitis..smiley - smiley. It's first come first served.

Definitions in General

Post 284

Ancient Brit

I should add that definitions should only be derived within the context of this conversation or the game may lead to moderation yet again. ..smiley - smiley

It's Happening

Post 285

E G Mel

And the fundamental wrongness being?

Bearing in mind that they are not compulsory, you don't have to have it on you at all times and in our imaginary world are fraud proof.....

Mel smiley - hsif

Define fatKelliitis

Post 286

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

My reply was to, erm, Lost In Scotland I think, your tree gadget will probably show you which posting it was. They asked for a definition of xanaticaphobia. If you read around some of the other threads on the site you will see that Xan is well known for his ceaseless search for a nice, friendly girl to interact with on a personal level smiley - winkeye (agreed Xan?).

In fact, you say this is your only conversation. Why don't you read some of the other threads and join in with them? You might get into the swing of things a little better once you have spent some time chatting, and seeing how the subject of conversations ebbs and flows according to the whims of researchers.

smiley - puffk

United we stand

Post 287

Ancient Brit

Mel
I think we are on a roll regarding ID.
Regading my experimental side. I don't want to antagonise you but to get home to W****E you should have pressed the reply button in posting 282.

It's Happening

Post 288

weegie

if they're not compulsary; i don't have to carry one about and they're fraud-free - what's the point of having them?

With the amount of money the government are saying these things will cost the taxpayer, they will probably be made compulsary.

I think we've gone over the "why many of us object with having to prove our identities" slippery slope, paranoia, thin end of wedges that kind of thing.

It's Happening

Post 289

Xanatic

AB: there is only one reply button people press, the one at the end of the last reply. And for us without a tree structure, they all end up at the end no matter who they are a reply to.

United we stand

Post 290

AncientBrit, I think you need to get over your new obsession with which post is being replied to. If you have a specific point to make in response to something, then quote it, or state in your response to which posting you are replying. I don't like the tree gadget myself - it just confuses me smiley - biggrin

W****E

Post 291

Ancient Brit

You said that you would go to jail rather than carry an ID card.
Because of the impending introduction of ID Cards into th UK, your claim may be put to the test (Sorry if you don't live in the UK you should carry an ID Card smiley - smiley.) That is why I said be careful.
I think fatKelli has tried to reply to your ? regarding xanaticaphobia
she may have missed the mark.

To whom it may concern

Post 292

Ancient Brit

I'm going for lunch try and pick up later. (Make sure you press the correct reply button)

To whom it may concern

Post 293

I have tried being friendly and helpful to no avail. I am now just frustrated and annoyed - it is rare that I'll leave a conversation because of one researcher but this thread is not a nice and friendly place to be thanks to Ancient Brit's relentless and deliberate trollish behaviour.

To whom it may concern

Post 294

Xanatic

There is no correct reply button.

ID Cards - Why?

Post 295

E G Mel

I wouldn't consider prison an inducement, I would consider it a threat, an inducement is more like a bribe.

And what exactly is wrong with the idea of ID cards, if you find yourself somewhere that you need to prove your ID (plane, bar, bank etc) why not have a nice simple card you can use to do so?

Mel smiley - hsif

ID Cards - Why?

Post 296

Xanatic

That's also something I've considered kelli. And probably best to do it. So bye everybody, see you in another thread.

ID Cards - What's the problem ?

Post 297

Ku'Reshtin (Bring the beat back!)

AB, what's this new fascination of yours that people have to press the correct reply button? As most in here have said, they don't use the tree structure of the threads, and therefor, pressing the reply button on the last opst in the thread is much more convenient than re-reading the thread to find the specific post you want to reply to.

Or do you press the "This post is in reply to..:" button to refresh your memory on what has been said in the previous post?

Keli, I know Xan is a he as we've been chatting in other threads, pretty much revolving around the (lack) of nice, available ladies in our resspective areas that a, don't run away screaming when we approach or b, are available because of some strange, unexplicable reason that probably shouldn't be investigated further... smiley - smiley I also know that you've unsubscribed fromt eh thread, but I didn't want to not reply.

Experimental side of this conversation

Post 298

Ancient Brit

Thanks Lost in Scotland.
In posting 287 I asked that we talked this out via my Personal Space.
In the light of events that followed I guess we might as well talk it our here. You would find if you visited my personal space that learning/experimentation was one of my objectives in starting this conversation. In fact it was the first objective. You talk of a 'tree structure', honest I would not know a tree structure if I fell over it.
In this conversion I began to loose track of who was talking to who at about posting 12 and by the time we were changing pages (about posting 20 ?) I'd lost it completely. I had to work hard to make any sense of it at all. But being an old cantankerous b****r I stuck at it. I not only stuck at it but I began to truly experiment with it.
In its course I have learned quite a bit about some of the friendly smiley - smiley researchers who stick to their human frailties like s**t to a blanket and at the same gained some knowledge if the inner workings of h2g2. As a Newbie I've stil got a lot of hiking to do. However back to the point. I reread the FAQ:Conversations on h2g2 and started to follow the rules. It failed to make any difference because as you say no one bothers despite it being so simple.
Click on the posting that you want to apply to, this gives you a page that shows the posting that you are replying to at the bottom. Preview the message. and post if clear. You must click on the reply button of the posting you are replying to otherwisw the whole sytem becomes a shambles.
When you join the conversation usually with the last posting there could be several after the one you are interested in. particularly if someone like me is playing silly b****r. To find out who a particular posting is addressing you click on the "This post is in reply to..:".
I'm afraid that the way you describe the use of this button is the wrong way round. It would be very nice if you could read what the previous posting was but we haven't quite got there yet if you see what I mean smiley - smiley
An example of the confusion caused by pressing the wrong button can be found in your reply. ie Keli as you call her ( by the way I got told off for spelling her name wrong) was telling me that Xanatica was a fella. Mark you I was being a bit of a pain about that time, trying to make a point.

I quote from the manual:- FAQ Conversations h2g2
' Every Posting you make - unless it's the first in a new Conversation (which you can start by clicking the 'New Conversation' button) - is sent as a reply to an existing Posting in the Conversation. Pick the Posting to which you want to reply and simply click on the 'Reply' button below that Posting. '
What could be simpler. No 'tree structure' just simple rules to give a measure of control and prevent misunderstanding. It a pity that Keli and Xan are not around to read them.

Please-Please do not take umbridge by th way I have treated this aspect of my posting. I am beginning to feel rather like an old ogre.
rather than a congenial grandfather.

Like you I am going to reply to Xanatic's and fat Kelli's last postings you never know they might take a sneaky look.

ID Cards - A General Discussion

Post 299

Ste

E G Mel, I think we went through the problems of ID cards relatively exhaustively earlier on in the thread smiley - smiley. It basically came down to this:

- It is not worth selling out your fundamental rights and civil liberities for mere convenience.

- The burden of proof is on the Pro-ID cards side. They have not stated any real benefits nearly 300 posts into the conversation.

- The expense of the cards, the threat of identity theft/fraud on a massive scale makes and the introduction of a *huge* new governmental beaurocracy makes the whole ordeal just not worth it.

smiley - cheers

Stesmiley - earth

Reply Button

Post 300

Ancient Brit

Oh yes there is !

Key: Complain about this post