A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 381

the other omylouse "multiply (1*6) by (6*1+0+3)!"

Tom Sharpes Indecent Exposure & Life @ the Limits by some guy whos a professor in new zealand smiley - smiley

Post 382

Metal Chicken

Nearly finished Wanderers & Islanders by Steve Cockayne. Then on to a little physics with The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene and I'm still determined to read the Silmarillion from cover to cover sometime soon...

Post 383

i found it helped to write down how was how on a scrap of paper when reading the silmarillion for d first time smiley - smiley

omy smiley - cheerup

Post 384

The Ghost of Polidari

'We Can Build You' by Philip K. Dick.

Post 385

random fat bird

Guards! Guards! PTerrysmiley - smiley

Post 386

Researcher 188007

Alain de Botton's The Consolations of Philosophy. Does exactly what it says on the tin without any of that Is a chair a chair? malarkey.

Post 387

yeay! a TP fan! smiley - wow
come & say hello @ Pratchetts Anonymous A640360 some time!

omy smiley - cheerup

Post 388

Avenging Washcloth, An unhurried sense of time is, in itself, a form of wealth.

I'm reading "The Physics of Immortality" by Frank J. Tipler. This book is written by a physicist who claims to have found scientific proof of the existence of God and the inevitability of resurrection. (Al)mighty interesting, to say the least.

Post 389

Bagpuss

smiley - erm So does his argument make sense? Is it that one about how life, the universe and everything is so incredibly unlikely? How does he argue resurrection is inevitable scientifically? Perhaps I should try the book myself if I'm that bothered.

I'm reading "Sanctuary Sparrow" by Ellis Peters. It's one of the Cadfael novels - I'm getting a bit into historical detectives at the moment.

Post 390

cheeky monkey

'The Crying Of Lot 49' by Thomas Pynchon, 'A Journal of the Plague Year' by Daniel Defoe and 'L'Étranger' by Albert Camus...the joys of being a literature student!

Post 391

cheeky monkey

And I would like to recommend an author too - Jorge Luis Borges, he writes amazing metaphysical fiction that will really get you thinking smiley - smiley

Post 392

Mister Matty

"Count Belisarius" by Robert Graves. Rubbishy cover but great book smiley - cool

Post 393

Little Mischief

Just started Burnt Offerings by Laurell Hamilton.
Almost finished with The Fifth Elephant by Pratchett.
Getting ready to start Lord of the Rings (which I received at Christmas and haven't gotten to yet, but that was okay because I hadn't seen the movie either until two weeks ago. And I've got you beat, Abi, I'll be 31 in a few days smiley - smiley) I hope it goes faster than the Hobbit, which took me nearly a year- I just couldn't stay with it for some reason.
Also recently finished Good Omens which immediately became my second favorite book; and now I hear they'll be making a movie?

Post 394

Little Mischief

Oh, and I almost forgot -
I haven't been to this thread since last August, so I've just read 6 months of backlog (and picked up some great suggestions too, btw!)

I noticed occasionally people mentioning books that had been hard to find or out of print. In the US there is http://www.half.com which is an incredible source for out of print books super cheap. Since it is not a warehouse but many individuals selling from private collections I'm not sure if they have the ability to ship overseas, but there may be similar sites in Europe. Amazon also used to have an out-of-print book-finding service as well, but it's quite a bit more expensive and takes longer. I don't know if they still do this or if it's available on their UK site, I haven't been back to Amazon for anything other than research purposes since I found Half.

Post 395

Fred Smith

I'm currently reading 'Last and First Men' by Olaf Stapledon, its the first book that I've reread in years. Its basically the history of the human race through a two billion year period.

I'm also reading 'Jesus Freaks' by DC Talk, its all about people who died for their religion. It's very interesting and it has a greak cover.

Post 396

Indefatigable

I just finished an English literature course called Apocalyptic Science Fiction, so I've been reading some pretty heavy stuff all term: "The Time Machine" by H. G. Wells, "A Canticle for Leibowitz" by Walter Miller Jr., "Cat's Cradle" by Kurt Vonnegut Jr., "This Is the Way the World Ends" by James Morrow, and "The Lathe of Heaven" by Ursula K. Le Guin, plus a pile of short stories. I'm reviewing them all for the exam in a little under two weeks.

Other than that, if I need lighter reading in between studying for exams, I'm reading "Warlock" by Andrew Cartmel, and getting started on my Doctor Who fanfic.

Post 397

Cardinal Noah (is now back!!!)

i'm reading Dragons of a Winter something or other. or was it Autumn? smiley - huh

i give up

Post 398

Tilly - back in mauve

Currently reading "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" smiley - wow

Post 399

ViceChancellorGriffin Keeper spelling Mistakes and Goldfish

Me Too smiley - smiley

Post 400

Cardinal Noah (is now back!!!)

i read that last week smiley - wow

Key: Complain about this post