A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Quiet, isn't it ?

Post 3561

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

Can there be limits?

Quiet, isn't it ?

Post 3562

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

In school zones, surely.
*don't call me Shirley*
smiley - biggrin
jwf

Quiet, isn't it ?

Post 3563

Ocean Soul (registered Linux user 390755)

Hi everyone!

I'm afraid I've been lurking here for some time....sorrysmiley - grovel, but I was wondering if you could help me out with something, namely the origin of the word "parka." Most sources I've looked at say it comes from either Native American languages or Russian dialects. However, here in Dorset there's a word "parky" meaning cold, and some folks in my English class have suggested there might be a connection. Any ideas?

Quiet, isn't it ?

Post 3564

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

I've only recently heard the Brit word 'parky' and wondered that myself. smiley - bigeyes I can tell you that 'parka' was really pronounced more like 'parky' in the aboriginal tongue.
Early explorers, being educated gents, applied their Latin knowledge (a little being dangerous as always) to the sound of the word 'parki'. Because the singular would be 'parkus' and that still sounds plural, the singular became 'parka' when they anglosized it in their journals.
smiley - biggrin
jwf

Quiet, isn't it ?

Post 3565

plaguesville

It stands to reason that ~JWF~ knows about "cold", but I'm suprised that he doesn't recall hearing Jack Duckworth say "Eh, it's parky lad."
Oh yes, there's a new opening sequence now ~JWF~ with a different cat; and a tram running across the viaduct. Something to look forward to.
smiley - smiley

Park your bottom

Post 3566

Wand'rin star

as my father used to say at the beginning of conversations (even to the vicar) and consider the following:
A famous TV Yorkshireman is Michael (Parky) Parkinson. All regional references derive from him (or from parkin, a type of gingerbread).
We don't need to bother with "parka" in that it's 18th century Aleut, therefore not British by any stretch of the imagination. We adopted the Inuit "anorak" instead. That now has other derivations not applicable to anyone on this thread.
So 'stand to' folks and it stands to reason you must be able to come up with a more plausible reason for 'stands to reason'. I favour the raison meaning (in the sense of 'right') myself and confidently predict that someone will be along shortly to connect it with 'bang to rights' (or grapes) smiley - star

Park your bottom

Post 3567

alji's

To go back a bit, I have often heard withstand used. Also withstands notwithstanding and withstood.

The Royal Welch Fusiliers was raised at Ludlow, in the Welsh Marches, on the 16th March 1689. Since that date, it has seen continuous service to crown and country

The Welch Regiment (41st/69th Foot). In July 1881, a new territorial system saw the 41st (The Welch) united with the 69th (South Lincolnshire) Regiment to form respectively the 1st and 2nd Battalions, The Welsh Regiment. A new regimental depot was established at the then recently completed Maindy Barracks, Cardiff.

Alji smiley - zensmiley - wizard

Park your bottom

Post 3568

Surely "Parky" comes from the Beano, and those mean park Keepers smiley - winkeye....

I reckon the Stands to just comes from "STANDS up TO investigation"

I've heard people say that "Stands up", when referring to research, or simply an idea, making sense....

Substance

Post 3569

alji's

How did sub - below, under, added to stance - to stand come to mean - that which has mass and occupies space; matter.

Substance

Post 3570

Gnomon - time to move on

Substance does indeed come from sub and stance, although the two words were joined in Latin long before it came to English. While most of us think of substance as matter or solidity (it has substance), it originally meant "essence", the essential something inside which makes a thing what it is. So ideas, dreams and poems can all have substance in this meaning of the word. Stand is used here to mean "to exist", for example a house stands on a hill. We don't assume it has legs. So sub-stance is the existence beneath the surface, the essence of the thing.

Substance

Post 3571

james

if you were to put reason before the waggon,i would hope it had legs

Substance

Post 3572

Munchkin

I would have said that if something "stands up" then it can stand on its own two feet and defend itself in any argument. Therefore if a theory is said to stand up that indicates that no supplementary information is required, the theory explains itself and can prove itself to be true. Maybe?

Substance

Post 3573

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

Maybe it is that whatever theorys and logical arguments you throw at it, it can't be knocked over/disproved, so it stands up to reasoned argument?

smiley - bluek

Substance

Post 3574

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

smiley - erm ...theories...

Substance

Post 3575

That last one sounds right to me... Or maybe its because they are funny?

Substance

Post 3576

Evil Zombie Strider

OK. I know we've been over effect vs. affect quite a bit, but I got confused yesterday would it be:

"Show how physical settings effect emotions" or "Show how physical settings affect emotions"?

I thought it would be affect, but I saw effect used by somebody quite respectable and wondered...

smiley - footprints

Substance

Post 3577

alji's

It depends on the context. The meaning changes with affect but it can be used. As a verb affect is most commonly used in the sense of 'to influence'. Effect means 'to bring about or execute'.

Substance

Post 3578

Evil Zombie Strider

Ah. Thanks you Aljiis.smiley - ok

smiley - footprints

Anoraks

Post 3579

beanfoto

Is everybody sure there aren't anoraks on this thread? I had one when I was a trainspotter.
Isn't a regiment singular?

Anoraks

Post 3580

Gnomon - time to move on

I think smoking jackets are the uniform on this thread.smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post