A Conversation for Old Announcements: January - September 2011

This thread has been closed

19 May, 2005: A Reminder of the House Rules

Post 1

The H2G2 Editors

Regrettably, we have to draw the attention of our community members to the House Rules. Specifically the following sections:

"Please, no flaming or trolling. On h2g2, flaming means posting something that's angry and mean-spirited - the online equivalent of flying off the handle. It's not a pretty sight, and we recommend constructive discussion as a far more satisfying pastime...

Unlawful, harassing, defamatory, abusive, threatening, harmful, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, racially offensive, or otherwise objectionable material is not acceptable...

The BBC welcomes feedback, both positive and negative, about our programmes and services but please make sure your comments are in line with the above House Rules. Repeatedly posting personal or offensive comments about individual members of the public or people who work for the BBC may be considered harassment. We reserve the right to remove such messages and take action against those responsible."

[http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/HouseRules]

The h2g2 team has always tried to be as lenient as possible. We appreciate that, in a community as large as h2g2, it's unrealistic to expect everyone to be best of friends. Nevertheless, we do expect certain levels of courtesy to be observed. Specifically, we believe that there is a difference between a genuine transgression of the House Rules and a difference of opinion. The moderators are not here to decide who is 'right' or 'wrong' in disputes, nor should the Moderators be subjected to abuse just because they don't know the entire heritage attached to an argument.

Handling flame wars or other sustained campaigns against other individuals or groups takes the in-house team way from other important issues such as site development and the central editorial process. We're remind everyone of this becaue of a few incidents in the last few days that have resulted in the in-house team having less time to spend on looking after the volunteer scheems, reviewing feature suggestions and encouraging people in Peer Review and other schemes. It's in everyone's best interests to avoid flame wars and attempt civil and sociable behaviour, especially after such an impressive response to the recent Election discussion forum.

Post 2

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit staying clear from loaded conversations
"Congratulations, I have seen the 255 accounts online -mark smiley - biggrin"

Post 3

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I've been visiting Internet message boards and other sites for almost ten years. One thing that they all [including this one] seem to have in common is that Summer is the cruelest season. People are more likely to be flamers and trolls in the hot weather than at other times. Just my two cents' worth.

Post 4

aka Bel - A87832164

How long ago was that ?
Would be nice if all of them respected the house rules, eh ? smiley - biggrin

Post 5

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

hello

and i think your doing a grand job keep it up!

smiley - winkeye

Post 6

redpeckhamthegreatpompomwithnobson

I agree. It must be a horendous job for the editors.

In the past I have tried to speak out against nastiness and bullying and then found myself labelled a troll by a certain group. I have been tempted to get sucked in and post with sarcasm.

Overall I applaud what's been done, of the little I know of it

Post 7

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

I try to allways use smiley - biggrin cus its the best one i have found to the probs of the "h2 Family" but on the whole i still think is one of the best of the "on line" ones

smiley - biggrin

Post 8

Researcher 825122

smiley - biggrin It reminds me of a chimpansee.

Post 9

pheloxi | is it time to wear a hat? |

Krabatt, I think you mixed post!

Post 10

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit sitting on a tail
"Mixing posts will give smiley - stiffdrinks and cocktails. smiley - cheers"

Post 11

hey did someone say smiley - stiffdrinks smiley - biggrin

Post 12

Keseral - lost...

Hurrah! smiley - smiley

well done to all you Italics and everyone who obeys the house rules! smiley - biggrin

(chimpanzee? smiley - biggrin but its yellow, can you get yellow chimpanzees?smiley - ermsmiley - biggrin)

Post 13

Jab [Since 29th November 2002]

There's nothing like a stiff one once the sun has gone below the yardarm. Hmm, I see me b******s need a tweek. smiley - pirate

Post 14

Researcher 825122

Ah, Pheloxi, you're right. But who said coincidences don't exist?

smiley - biggrin is more of a languagy-thing. Showing teeth in my native tongue means 'laughing like a farmer with a toothache'. Methinks a smiley - smiley is more effective.

Post 15

Jab [Since 29th November 2002]

*Your complaint number is P3771221*

Well, I did ask for the whole post to go, not just star words out. Would appear moderation is still short in understanding *complete post context*, so why *some people* expect mods to fix "wars" with a *magic wand* I know not.

smiley - tea

Still, it shows we can't always expect moderation to go our way and it's not just a delete button, its a connect to a human button!

smiley - tea

I wonder if the 'you pressed yikes' screen may be better off it it also provided a list of 'radio buttons' for us to check; so even if people get wordy in the text area, then in reading a post, the mods can check off against specific items of complaint not just emotions?

smiley - erm

Leave you with it... smiley - footprints

Post 16

Hikaru Poet

Think twice, post once.

WWMD (What would Marvin do?)

Post 17

SuperMoo: Now With Even More Online-ness

...be depressed?

Post 18

smiley - laugh Whine and complain. Ahhh the little darling, it must be hard for him having such a big brain!

Post 19

Arisztid Lugosi

WWMDsmiley - laugh thank you, thats a good one that i'll have to remember.

a big thank you to the italics! and to all of those who obey the house rules!
i greatly appreciate the general air of frienship that i find here.
keep up with the good work!smiley - ok

Post 20

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - applause

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more