A Conversation for Old Announcements: January - September 2011

This thread has been closed

20 February 2002: Server Problems

Post 1

The H2G2 Editors

We're really sorry about the current unreliability of h2g2. We're having some major problems with our servers - they're crashing about once a day - but we haven't yet identified what the exact cause is. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a consistent pattern to the problem, so it's very difficult to see what is causing the crashes.

As soon as we can pinpoint a cause we can prevent it from happening again, but until then there's nothing we can do except keep hunting for the cause.

We apologise profusely for this performance problem, and hope you can bear with us while we work into the night on finding a fix.

Post 2

Whisky

wanders in with a supply of smiley - coffee and smiley - cake for all the staff...

Don't worry, we'll survive, just don't work too late, it's alright if the researcher's are all addicts, but we don't want the staff to get sick of the place

smiley - cheers
whisky

Post 3

Marjin, After a long time of procrastination back lurking

Any chance of going back to the slow but dependable pre-christmas servers?

Post 4

Toccata

Here Here!

Leaves a supply of smiley - choc

Don't do yourselves an injury guys smiley - smiley

Post 5

Kes

Thanks for letting us know! (I always think it's me smiley - smiley ) ...and good luck!

Post 6

And please don't consider my suggestion as critisism. I know you do a great jobsmiley - ok, but it might take some of the urgency from your shoulders, while we can go on.

Unless of course the problems are load-related...

Keep a clear head, and take your time for smiley - coffee and smiley - cake.
The well deserved smiley - stiffdrink comes later.

Post 7

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Is there a connection between the current flakiness and the fact that Jim's not allowed to maintain the servers personally any more? smiley - geeksmiley - wah

Post 8

Dancer (put your advert here)

Good luck you guys, we'll be here, doint the stuff that inconsistently crashes the servers smiley - erm

Love,
smiley - hsif
Dancer

Post 9

Tube - the being being back for the time being

Good Luck! smiley - cheerup

... and if everything else fails: Remember Ripley. Nuke the Site from orbit smiley - winkeye

Post 10

Zak T Duck

I always find bribing my computter with some sort of upgrade helps when it's not behaving itself. Either that or I teach it a lesson by formatting its hard drive smiley - devil

Post 11

Whisky

Failing that, a sharp kick usually does the trick, or leaning over the box and muttering LINUX, LINUX, LINUX usually helps when dealing with M****soft smiley - winkeye

(Mind you, you should take into consideration that this advice comes from someone with a rubber mallet hanging up in his office, with a sign underneath saying 'IT Support')

Post 12

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

Is this why I keep having scary moments where I go to my space and it says
'Welcome to the space of Researcher 180xxx. Unfortunately they haven't written anything here..etc'

and then won't let me log in for a while (doesn't recognise me apparently)?

I thought I had done something evil and been booted out!

Have a nice healthy smiley - strawberry to go with all that smiley - cake, got to keep up the vitamin levels in these tryig times...

smiley - puffk

Post 13

Zak T Duck

We need to name the database problems. How about Spontaneous Existance Failure?

Post 14

Tube - the being being back for the time being

Hardware rattles when kicked. smiley - winkeye

Post 15

No, it's not S.E.P., it's MY problem and YOUR problem and OUR problem.smiley - grr

As it's a large pain in the a*s, what about Macrosore?smiley - smiley

Post 16

Toccata

smiley - erm Spontaneous Existance Failure isn't that S.E.F not SEP?

An Sep field wouldn't help much smiley - sadface maybe if we all sit with our towels over our heads, if we can't see it.......smiley - laugh

Yes it does scare when your existance fails, but it only seems to be in short bursts.

Post 17

And after it denies your existence, it stops reacting at all. Maybe that's when someone gives it the tree-finger symbol V I
(or Ctrl-Alt Del)smiley - winkeye

Post 18

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

Maybe the Critical Updates have updated it to the Critical list.

Post 19

MaW

* has woe for computer problems at h2g2, but has problems of his own as well to deal with *

Post 20

Nora - back from the Dublin meet!

Tree-finger symbol?
I've always called it the three-finger salute. smiley - winkeye

Good luck, guys! It's scary when your stuff vanishes..

smiley - teasmiley - cake

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more