A Conversation for Central US Researchers Group

NO! The Central States Researchers Group is Not Dead Yet!!

Post 161

broelan

The Central US Researchers Group LIVES!!!

After my involuntary exile and taking the summer to work out the kinks (and go to the first Central US meet) I've FINALLY come back and *updated the page*.

And yes, you read that right, there was finally a researchers meet-up in the midwest. My most sincere apologies for not promoting it here. July 4th a handful or two of us met in President Hypatia's lovely hometown of Webb City, Missouri. A grand time was had by all, and I think those assembled represented a wide chunk of geography: Missouri (of course), Kansas, Wisconsin, Indiana, California, Florida and England.

There will be another one, we promise smiley - smiley

Meanwhile, I hope the lack of activity hasn't put off any potential new members! I'll get to work knocking down the cobwebs and cleaning the loo smiley - cheerup

Post 162

broelan

I don't know if anyone noticed, but we have a link on the front page in the clubs and organisations section this week smiley - magic

I've updated the page again and, as always, if you know about something that should be listed there that I've missed just let me know. I added a lot of good entries, and half of them weren't about Ohio for a change smiley - winkeye (we miss you, Jodan!)

We had a new member a couple of months back, as well - Blue Eyed Bi-Pedal Bookworm from Betelgeuse (U208842).

The last of the cold weather is behind us, I think, and summer has wasted no time in establishing its presence - in St Louis we set records for high and low temperatures in April. Hope everyone is having a nice spring, and if you're making travel plans for the summer let us know if you'd like to hook up somewhere. I think I'll be driving through Missouri and Oklahoma in August, maybe I'll see some of you then.

smiley - cheers

Post 163

Afgncaap5

Prob'ly not me, but keep us posted. smiley - smiley

Post 164

shagbark

quoting Bob Dylan- "Ya better get a bigger gun- we're not dead yet"

Post 165

shagbark

So what do you think Broelin- Are you going to hold the next meet-up out on route 66 ??!

Post 166

broelan

Well, I can't say a rolling meet up hasn't occurred to me.... smiley - devil

Central States Researchers

Post 167

WickedSmart

I'm new here but would like to be a part of the Central States Researchers. I currently reside in Livonia, MI.

Post 168

shagbark

Glad to see a new face. I hope brolean notices you.
I am in Lansing myself smiley - smiley

Post 169

broelan

Yes, I noticed smiley - smiley.

Actually, I saw this yesterday, but was logged into another account.

And we're always happy to meet new people! I'm in St Louis, but we have an aunt and uncle in Romulus, and a cousin in Carleton. We've been meaning to get up there for a visit for the past couple of years.

I'll get the page updated soon(ish). Everything got put on hold over the holidays because I was so busy offline, and now I have three different groups that need updating. I'll try to get you on the page this afternoon, and hopefully I'll update the rest of the page by next week.

Welcome! smiley - cake

Post 170

broelan

Okay, to the best of my ability, the page has been completely updated smiley - ok

And you've been added, WickedSmart. smiley - cheers

For the record, I will not be attempting to organise any kind of meet up this summer. We're trying to sell our rental, and get our house ready to sell, too, then we'll be in the market for new digs.

I'm certainly not opposed to anyone else staging a clam bake, and I might even be able to make it to one. There was talk elsewhere of somthing in Webb City again, possibly, maybe. If anything official comes of it I'll make sure to post it here.

Post 171

broelan

A quick note here - Jordan has written a fantastic series of entries on American Dialects. vogonpoet has opted the entries for a Beeblecast segment for the AViators. It's really an exciting project!

Here's where you come in (yes, YOU.)
Jordan's project is with the Sub at the moment and isn't in Peer Review yet. Meanwhile, discussion is taking place in his journal:
F113808?thread=4926973
The AViators clip idea gets thrown in around post 67.
Please check it out and see if you'd like to help.

The AViators are a fledgling group on h2 devoted to creating Audio/Visual content of h2g2 material. Their first Beeblecast can be found through their home page at A13264670. It's a really exciting project and we'd like to help them spread the word.

I'm going to post a similar, yet less long-winded version of this in a new convo on the group page, for the benefit of anyone still subscribed to the group that has somehow unsubscribed from this thread.

Post 172

elwood

Hey more Michiganders!

You've got me surrounded - Livonia, Lansing and Broe's relatives in Carleton + Romulus that puts Belleville in the middle. "Well pilgrims lets get the wagon's in a circle...and...and..." I never knew what John Wayne did next.smiley - huh

Anyway in a perfect midwesterners nasal accent "Hiya you-guyz"

Post 173

shagbark

In a perfect neutral accent shagbark replies-And hello to you as well smiley - winkeye I voted Kucinich smiley - zen

Post 174

shagbark

That makes twice I have had smileys in the wrong place. maybe I should file a bug report.

Post 175

Yelbakk

Yay for Kucinich!

Y.

Post 176

shagbark

wake up central researchers. any new articles there?

Post 177

shagbark

article A600526 Lansing MI was updated May 2008 and picture added smiley - biggrin

Post 178

broelan

I haven't left entirely, but I am experiencing accessibility issues again. I'm not going to have the time to do a thorough update for quite some time; in the meantime if anyone comes across something that should be added to the page just post it here and I'll get to it (but probably not immediately).

Hope everyone's well!

Post 179

shagbark

I still have my smiley - towel
any body shakin' in the heartlandsmiley - huh

Post 180

Yelbakk

Still shaking, often in my boots, but no longer in the heartland smiley - winkeye

Y.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more