Post 141

elwood

Hey orchidgirl shouldn't it be...

England---> Scotland--->St Louisland

smiley - huh

Central States Researchers

Post 142

orchidgirl

Good point. Or maybe St Louis-how-can-I-persuade-everyone-back-home-that-you-really-do-pronounce-the-"s"-land?

Post 143

broelan

I've always found it best not to try to explain our pronunciations to the 'unenlightened' smiley - winkeye

Post 144

broelan

Midsummer greetings, fellow midwesterners smiley - cheers. I hope everyone is faring well and remembering that sunscreen!

I've done a bit of freshening up, which mainly consisted of looking again for new edited entries. I removed the meet-up announcements from the top of the page since it's obvious we've all been too busy and/or broke to make an honest effort of it. I have faith though, I know we'll get together eventually smiley - ok

While I was looking for edited entries I noticed quite a few unedited entries that have been written and abandonned, and several of them seem to be decent efforts. If anyone has some time on their hands and would like to, you can try to find some of these entries and submit them to Peer Review. If something needs more than just a little work but the basics are there and the author has Elvised you could try rehashing it Flea Market-style and submitting it as a collaboration for some easy credit. If anyone needs help on how to do this just ask!

To find the entries I'm talking about just enter the name of a state in the h2g2 Search box and read through some of the unedited results. If we have any success stories let me know so I can add them to the page smiley - ok.

There's been a call from the editors for generic state entries in Challenge h2g2, if anyone's interested. We need state entries for Illinios, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, South Dakota and Wisconsin. There are already entries for Michigan (A143849) and Ohio (A2175824) to give you an idea of what you could include.

Also in Challenge h2g2 there's been a request for UNESCO World Heritage Site entries. Cahokia Mounds in Illinois is one of them and needs an entry; if I find any more I'll post them here.

Enjoy the rest of your summer and stay cool smiley - cool

broe

Post 145

whitec

Hello from Appleton, (NE) Wisconsin!

I just stumbled into this thread and thought I would say hello. "Hello."

Apart from begging for membership, I suppose I should offer to help out with midwestern articles. I confess to wanting to add bits to the Green Bay Packers article, like how difficult it is up here to watch local news without seeing a piece on the Packers (even in the off-season) smiley - smiley . I'll have to think about a Wisconsin article.

Post 146

broelan

No need to beg! We're happy to have you smiley - smiley. As a matter of fact I've already added you to the page!

Knowing how popular the Packers are elsewhere in the country I can only imagine what it must be like to live up there!

Post 147

whitec

Many thanks. smiley - cheers

Post 148

shagbark

Has this conversation been abandoned. this seems to be an awfully quiet group smiley - zzz

Post 149

broelan

I haven't abandoned it smiley - smiley
There just hasn't been much going on.
I haven't had the opportunity to try to schedule any get-togethers, but if anyone else is interested, by all means smiley - ok

Post 150

Michele - Doily Mogul: Don't leave me! If you go there'll be no braincells in the room at all!

Well, smiley - erm the problem was that we were just all so busy with weddings and such smiley - run, trying to schedule vacations and those of us that were unemployed smiley - yikes at the time who couldn't do anything, that the meet kind of fell by the wayside...smiley - wah

Hopefully this year we can make it happen! smiley - ok

Post 151

broelan

Well, I'll say now that I can't be the one to organise it. After the first of the year I'll be busy turning my home office into a nursery, and after that I'll have my hands full with baby. I'll give what help I can, but I won't have the time to set it up, and I might not be able to attend. It would be great if some of you could though! smiley - smiley

Post 152

shagbark

smiley - hollyChristmas greetings to all my fellow researchers and may you all have better things ahead in 2005.smiley - mistletoesmiley - holly

Post 153

khyron1144

I am Khyron.

I am from Michigan. Greater Grand Rapids area to be a little more exact.

I believe that makes me a Central U.S. researcher, then.

Post 154

broelan

Hi Khyron! Welcome!
I've added you to the page smiley - ok Sorry for the delay.
I can't say we're a terribly exciting bunch, but we have our moments smiley - winkeye

While I was updating, I also added some new entries. Either I'm going to have to do that more often, or Jodan's going to have to write slower smiley - tongueout

Anyway, the search function is down again, so I used the directory which doesn't include people or things that aren't integrally linked to a particular state. So if anyone knows of something I've missed that should be added, just let me know!

Post 155

Yelbakk

Well, just to keep things rolling... let me say that the months/days/years I spent in the Central States (i.e. in Minnesota) are among the best of my life.

Y.

Post 156

shagbark

I hope you remember Y that Escanaba is in Michigan but Chicago is in Illinoissmiley - spacesmiley - winkeye.

Post 157

Yelbakk

Can you sell me some rope so I can go and hang myself? Hope I never do that kind of mistake when my students are watching smiley - winkeye

Y.

Post 158

shagbark

smiley - laugh That's all right.

Post 159

shagbark

I don't think my rope will stretch that far. Maybe you should try India. I hear they are good at rope trickssmiley - biggrinsmiley - zen

Post 160

shagbark

And didn't Mohamad Ali used to have an old boxing trick called

rope a dopesmiley - huh

Key: Complain about this post