A Conversation for Southeast US Researchers' Group Mark II

New Members Sign in Here

Post 221

Emee, out from under the rock

Hi, Quille smiley - elf. Good to see you here smiley - biggrin

New Members Sign in Here

Post 222

EVIL TYPO DUCK

Hey Quille, and OH to be in Owasso NOW, it is so NOT cold here, it is driving me nuts! Austin is too WARM!

New Members Sign in Here

Post 223

Here ya' go ETD. I'll send some cold air your way smiley - puffsmiley - snowman

New Members Sign in Here

Post 224

Quille the cynic...TC

Hello Emee! YAY! IT's cold here today smiley - biggrin. *watches the cold float over to TYPO DUCK*
smiley - elf

New Members Sign in Here

Post 225

It was 29F when I left for work this morning.

New Members Sign in Here

Post 226

Batty_ACE

Yeah ETD but at least it's not an ice storm... smiley - yuk I remember those from when I lived in Tulsa. I owned a business there for a few years before I moved to NYC. Whenever we had an ice storm I had to set out REALLY early to pick everyone up and drive them to work (since I drove a tank).

I loved NYC but I have to admit Charlotte is growing on me... it's beautiful here. I have pictures of it in my photo album on Yahoo if anyone wants to see. Just follow the link in the last paragraph of my PS and go to 'View My Photos' then to the 'Home Shots' album. The pics are mostly in spring but it's lovely...

New Members Sign in Here

Post 227

Last year at Christmas, I was down at my mom's in TX. I thought I had to be back to work the day after Christmas so drove home in one of the worst ice/snowstorms ever. Had to stop every 30-45 minutes to scrape my windshield because the wipers & defroster couldn't keep up.

A trip that was supposed to take 4 hours took 8. They ended up closing the building and no one went to work for a couple days. I was glad to be home though. The electricity was out at my mom's for 4 days.

New Members Sign in Here

Post 228

Batty_ACE

Yup... sounds just like I remember it... smiley - yuk

I remember just before New Years 2001 there was a huge storm that hit NYC and dumped a ton of snow. They had to hurry and get bulldozers in for Times Square so they wouldn't have to cancel it all. The day or two that the city really wasn't moving much, the snow was so beautiful! Especially because it really wasn't icy. smiley - erm Then when life resumed some sort of normalcy it went all gray and stuff..

New Members Sign in Here

Post 229

Sludgy grey snow is the worst. smiley - sadface

New Members Sign in Here

Post 230

Quille the cynic...TC

I think grey sludge should be outlawed! It's not even fun to run around in...
smiley - elf

New Members Sign in Here

Post 231

EVIL TYPO DUCK

ahh, it hink it is like... 65? yah. it sux.

New Members Sign in Here

Post 232

Quille the cynic...TC

poor duck smiley - sadface
smiley - elf

New Members Sign in Here

Post 233

You won't be so sorry to be in Austin when we get our 'wintry mix' next week. I hate driving in slush 5 inches thick. smiley - cross

New Members Sign in Here

Post 234

The Average Joe No One EVER Suspects

Holy carp. I've heard some really horror story about driving in the winter. My step-dad's from Michigan. He'd tell us about all the out-of-control cars that wwent by his house every winter. There's even a story about having to walk to school in the winter and a time when he really thought he wasn't going to make it.

New Members Sign in Here

Post 235

Batty_ACE

smiley - erm did any of those stories involve him slaying a bear with his looseleaf notebook?? smiley - biggrin

New Members Sign in Here

Post 236

The Average Joe No One EVER Suspects

Hahaha! smiley - laugh I'll have to ask him. I'm sure he'll modify.

New Members Sign in Here

Post 237

Batty_ACE

Thought you'd appreciate that... I think it's a Cosbyism...

New Members Sign in Here

Post 238

Darth Vol

I'd like to be considered for membership. I live in Knoxville (UTK to be exact) and I was born in Alabama (moved here when I was six). I don't have much else to declare...but if you need more info just let me know.

New Members Sign in Here

Post 239

Lentilla (Keeper of Non-Sequiturs)

Man... last year in Austin, I think the bridges iced over. Here in Fort Worth, it snowed in December, and my defroster wasn't working. I had to roll down the window every five minutes and pour cool water over the windshield. (until I ran out of water, and found an ancient bottle of Sprite!) Scary.

It's not that snow bothers me particularly, it's just that Fort Worth isn't geared for snow. People don't know how to drive when the weather's nasty, and there's very little indoor parking, and there's almost no drainage.

Just wrote an article on Big Bend National Park... stop by and check it out, and give me input if I need to add or fix something.

New Members Sign in Here

Post 240

araven

Looks like North Carolina is well-represented by Chapel Hill residents, but if one more won't hurt, sign me up!

Key: Complain about this post