This is the Message Centre for paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

R.I.P. Dad

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

My father passed away half an hour ago.

My brother and sister were with him at the end. He had been in a nursing home a few miles away from them. I'm about a hundred miles away. Even if I had left when I heard he was slipping, I might not have gotten there in time to bid adieu.

Dad had been been like one of those mountains that have been there seemingly forever. Totally reliable. You could bank on his promises. My mother died six years ago. Dad kept her at home and cared for her himself until almost the end. We never figured out how he kept going so long, or why he was able to be so adept at everything. He drove his car until the age of 95. He lost his bladder to cancer twenty years ago. This does not seem to have even slowed him down. He coped with urostomy bags as if there were nothing to it.

I'm seventy; I expected to become an orphan long ago. Why people live or die is a mystery, and will always be.

Living with my father for seventy years has given me a vast supply of memories. I remember how he could be gentle even when he was in great pain -- He once persuade me to help him move large rocks. I screwed up; a rock fell on his finger, tearing off the nail. I feared that he would be very angry with me, but he never was.

He could also be a curmudgeon, a stickler for perfection. I avoided canoeing with him after he gave me such a hard time about my oar strokes. He was fearless on the tennis courts, so playing singles matches against him would have been an ordeal. I managed to avoid that kind of competition, but doubles matches were fun. My only strength (if you can call it that) was in being wildly unpredictable. Some of my worst returns flew high in the air and then landed just within the lines. smiley - wow

R.I.P. Dad

Post 2

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

smiley - hug

R.I.P. Dad

Post 3

Thanks, Amy. smiley - hug

I've just been on the phone with my brother, reminiscing. My sister will probably handle most of the paper work associated with Dad's affairs.

R.I.P. Dad

Post 4

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

You have my sympathies, Paul. My Dad did not last so long, and gone now a bit over 8 years ago. He was the one rock, the constant that I could count on. The most honest and fair man that I have ever known. I do know the gaping hole that is left in a life. Maybe fill that hole with every dear memory that comes up.

R.I.P. Dad

Post 5

Evangeline

Sorry, for your loss, Paul.
smiley - hug

smiley - rose

R.I.P. Dad

Post 6

Icy North

Hi Paul,

Thank you for sharing your memories of your father - you paint a vivid portrait of a great man. I was never close to my father (who died nearly 25 years ago - I can’t believe how the time has flown), although I picked up many of his traits.

Take care

smiley - candle

R.I.P. Dad

Post 7

Thanks, everyone. smiley - smiley

My father never tooted his own horn. He didn't see himself as a great man. Go figure!

R.I.P. Dad

Post 8

ITIWBS

My condolences also, I'm reminded of feelings when my stepfather died.

I actually wept, though not for some time after.

Best wishes in the meantime and beyond.

R.I.P. Dad

Post 9

Reality Manipulator

I am saddened to hear of your loss. My heart aches for you and your family. My thoughts are with you during this difficult time of loss.

R.I.P. Dad

Post 10

Reality Manipulator

smiley - candlesmiley - candlesmiley - candlesmiley - candlesmiley - rosesmiley - rosesmiley - rosesmiley - rosesmiley - peacedovesmiley - peacedovesmiley - peacedovesmiley - peacedovesmiley - candlesmiley - candlesmiley - candlesmiley - candle

R.I.P. Dad

Post 11

You can call me TC

My condolences, Paul. He obviously lived up to the saying mentioned elsewhere about having plenty of life in his days - as well as, in his case, days in his life.

smiley - candlesmiley - rose

R.I.P. Dad

Post 12

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Sorry for your loss, my friend smiley - hug

smiley - pirate

R.I.P. Dad

Post 13

I think that his life was well worth celebrating. smiley - cakesmiley - stiffdrink
He was at least 96 on the winter day when I arrived to take him on errands, only to find him on a ladder scraping snow off the roof of his garage. I thought it was fine that he was removing snow; I just wished he had waited for me to arrive so her wouldn't be risking having something happen to him with no one around.

At the nursing home they made him use a walker, but he always wanted to go as fast as possible. Walker races? smiley - huhsmiley - winkeye

Thanks for the condolences, my friends. smiley - smiley

R.I.P. Dad

Post 14

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

smiley - peacedovesmiley - peacedovesmiley - peacedove

Paul! I've no words my friend, except to say my thoughts are with you and your family

Also I've a shoulder, over the "pond" to lean on if needed smiley - hug

R.I.P. Dad

Post 15

If you're going to be at the H2G2 get-together on April 27, I'll get a chance to try out that shoulder. I paid for my hotel room today. smiley - smiley

R.I.P. Dad

Post 16

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

smiley - sadface I don't know any details of that "event" Paul and I doubt that I'd be able to get there anyway smiley - sadface

but even so! My strength is with you in spirit and always will besmiley - smiley

R.I.P. Dad

Post 17

I appreciate that. Thanks! smiley - ok

R.I.P. Dad

Post 18

If you wish ? I'll find a way of getting my email address to you smiley - ok without giving "it away via hootoo"

a friend is a friend, even if not met yetsmiley - hug

R.I.P. Dad

Post 19

Please remember that I have a brilliant ability to misunderstand any coded messages you care to give. smiley - huh I am really dense that way. I've never figured out how to email The Post, even though there are clear directions. smiley - blush

R.I.P. Dad

Post 20

smiley - smileyDmitri(Post Editor)smiley - smiley has my address and if he has yours via hootoo ? I can ask him to pass mine to you smiley - smiley without hootoo involvement smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more