A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

Post 1581

Coniraya

Wnet to bad last night with that feeling at the top of my throat that a cold was on it's way. Hope I've taken some VitC with Zinc in time.

The tree got decorated yesterday and is looking wonderful. Just hope it doesn't lose it's leaves before all the family come over on 2nd Jan.

Post 1582

STRANGELY STRANGE ( A brain on a spring )

Hi all, and a Merry Christmas to one and all!
Cookware wise, one of the most useful items I ever bought is an old fashioned steel frying pan from a professional catering shop. Totally non stick but tough as old boots, a simple handle riveted on with large rivets, you could drop it from the moon and it wouldn't break/dent. Lots of cookware these days has finishes that come off or colours that tire. And all this for only £6!

Post 1583

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

Lentilla: good reasoning with the bitter thing smiley - ok

Dark and stringy? Rabbit's a game meat (duh), and if you don't eat a lot of game, it can taste too heavy. Try soaking it in lightly salted water before cooking. Also, if the rabbit's over about 6 months old, then stewing really is the best way to go.

smiley - ale

Post 1584

Bugger: Z- I find the cuter an animal, the better it tastes smiley - winkeye.

There was something else... It'll come back after a few more smiley - teas.

smiley - ale

Post 1585

David B - Singing Librarian Owl

Right, I'm off home now, so probably won't be able to pop in to the Salon for a while. smiley - smiley and smiley - sadface

I wish you all a very Merry Christmas or whatever other holiday you may be celebrating and an exciting and prosperous New Year!

smiley - cracker

David

Post 1586

Sol

It was one of those 'I'm really a soft townee' moments when we went to the local market in the town near B's village house and say everyone selling cute little fluffy young rabbits... which you take home and butcher yourself. The trouble I've had trying to explain to Mother in Law that we never ate our family's pet rabbit because... I do like rabbit though.

Our tree is a bit of an embarrassment. I'd picked out a nice modestly sized and modestly priced one from the Homebase accross the road - the important part of this being 'accross the road' as we don't have a car or anything, but when it came to it, we were so late (ie last weekend) that all they had were huge ones - though still medestly priced as there was a sale on. So I now have the biggest tree I've ever had, which I had to rearrange the furniture in the living room to fit in. It is rather cool though. And I got to decide that that was probably enough as far as decorations went.

I am providing the edibles for the family road trip to Grandad's tomorrow - it being decided that apart from eating on the way it's a bit harsh to expect a rather doddery 85 year old to do the feasting. I'm going for salads and cold meats, and a wintery soup with squash, ginger and apricots in, which I feel is suitably festive. Not sure what I'm going to give the aged Ps when they turn up to pick us up. Pizza perhaps...

My family are revenging themselves for all of you becoming and appendage to your man. Most of our cards have been sent to Mr and Mrs Female Version of Our Surname.

Post 1587

Phil

Have a good one David smiley - smiley

I'm here at work hoping to be let off early. Even if they don't I'm meeting MC for lunch so that should be good.

Ag, perhaps you should have asked the person who did all the duff shelving why they did it like that in the first place when you were asked about the rearranging of it all.

Post 1588

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

*snags a large slice of stollen from the kitchen hatchway*

Happy holidays, David! *waves to the owl*

*limps back to the fireplace*

Now, there's something I need to get off my chest... or, more precisely, off my leg... and even more precisely, it's the back leg on my right side we're talking about here. There is a large, painful swelling on my thigh: I've never had such a thing before and it cannot be a coincidence that the last time I spent any time here at the Salon you were all talking about swellings, abcesses and nasty infected things smiley - yikes.

Is Vinnie smiley - blackcat ok, btw?

I'm finding it very hard to stop w*rking and take some time off but I must tidy the Nest just in case I get visitors and I suppose I ought to go out shopping but I really don't want to. M&S will be packed - the cars are queuing back as far as the Nest as it is.

smiley - sigh

Post 1589

Phil

If it's painful and has been there for more than a day then you should have it looked at Amy.

Post 1590

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

There's no hope of getting an appointment with a smiley - doctor or smiley - nurse today. The swelling will probably have gone away of its own accord by the time the world gets back to what passes for normal in these parts.

I had better go and get on with things smiley - run...

Post 1591

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

Hope the swelling goes down soon Amy, try not to do too much on it so you don't make it worse!

Mum just called, she thinks her retina has detached again after her latest eye surgery this week smiley - sadface I hope it hasn't, she will hate having to deal with the treatment for it again - they put a bubble of gas in the eye and she has to sit in a position such that the bubble holds the retina in place until it can heal. This process takes months smiley - sadface

It also means I might be getting a late-notice call to take over christmas *sigh*

She is seeing the eye doctor this afternoon who will be able to tell her if it has detached so please everyone cross your fingers that she is just overreacting and it isn't another detatchment. Poor mum smiley - blue

Post 1592

Hypatia

*waves to David as he flies away*

Sol, how long a drive do you have?

Lil, this stollen is wonderful. My compliments to Matina. Thanks.

smiley - hugsmiley - ant Hope the swelling goes away and it isn't painful over the holidays.

Kelli, I'm hoping for good news about your mom's eye. smiley - hug

My holiday is turning out to be 'not as planned'. First, my brother and his wife, who VOLUNTEERED to bring the food for Christmas Eve at Mother's and do the cooking, have given me a menu. They plan to bring a loaf of bread, one package of ham for sandwiches, one package of cheese, and a bag of potato chips. Excuse me, but that is not cooking. I asked what they wanted me to bring and was told a jar of mayonnaise and a head of lettuce. So, since Mother will not be having a proper meal on Christmas Eve, that means that I will have to come up with something for Christmas Day after they leave. I thought there would be leftovers for her and I could have the day off. Silly me.(And I am still trying to decide what to say to him if he brings his dog.)

Then for Boxing Day, my niece's husband had a death in his family yesterday, so unless the funeral is tomorrow - which is unlikely - she won't be able to come. The best I can hope for is the older of the great nephews, who may come with Lady C. The younger one would never be happy making a long trip without his mother. But I will enjoy having Lady C, so that is still ok.

Post 1593

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Still at w**k and there hasn't been a call in two-and-a-half hours.
What's wrong with this picture?

Post 1594

Best of luck, Kelli.

I'm stuck at work too, Mr. D. NOthing to do (well there probably is, but I'm not doing it) so I'm sitting here reading SFX.

smiley - ale

Post 1595

Hypatia

I'm working today until 5. smiley - sigh Better get out of here and get it over with.

Post 1596

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

F38024?thread=1792785

Clean cups! Clean cups! smiley - run

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more