A Conversation for United States of America (USA)

United States of Irony

Post 81

Dawd1

There are many more parties than the LD's. I still wonder why a law is necessary, preventing someone from buying alcohol in the USA if they are under 21. Still, it's better than prohibition I guess.

United States of Irony

Post 82

Jonny

How many seats in The Commons are currently occupied by Greens or Monster Raving Loonies? Not many!

The 18 age limit on drinking in England is just as arbitrary as the 21 over here. People from, for example, Switzerland probably think it's odd that a 16 year old can't legally drink in an English pub. Since much of the fun of drinking goes out the window when it's actually legal it could be argued that they have 3 more years of fun over here. It's probably a lot harder to do any under-age drinking out here though, so the argument does hold much Bud.

United States of Irony

Post 83

Jonny

Sorry:

...doesn't hold much Bud.

United States of Irony

Post 84

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

Who on earth would want to hold a Bud. Pass the Heinekin. NZ is currently having a debate about lowering the drinking age from 20 to 18. This is creating more debate than the proposal to allow any shop to sell beer, with the exception of service stations (garages)

United States of Irony

Post 85

Jonny

Holding Bud == holding water. See?

United States of Irony

Post 86

Spot on Pete, alias The bearded one

Hey I like Bud, when its hot who wants to drink Old Fuddleduck ale ? you need something cooling and, well, watery !

America (more)

Post 87

Researcher 45382

LOL!! The day when a Texan rural property is larger on average than an
Australian one is the day I'll eat my hat!! And by the way, I reside in the State
of Western Australia which, in size, is only about as big as half of the entire
continental U.S.A.

United States of Irony

Post 88

Jonny

It's true that lager does go down better than bitter in warmer weather, there are far better options than Budweiser though. Like Carling Black Label and Fosters, for example...

OK, maybe there aren't.

United States of Irony

Post 89

Seanie

Yawn Yawn Yawn, I dunno, you work all day down the Pit, and when you get back to the site you happen to read all of this back-biting stuff... elsewhere on the site there's another discussion which started out talking about USA and just got into a slandering session against England and the English.... Here its against the Americans and America.... yawn yawn yawn.... Share and Enjoy! - just get on with it and you won't have time to worry about it!!!!!!! I've been to the USA, on work, had to go to San Francisco and Maynard near Boston, had a fantastic time! Met some cool people, some not so cool people. I've been to Moscow, met some cool people, met some not so cool people... I've been to Johannesburg... met some cool people, met some not so cool people.... IS ANYONE SPOTTING A COMMON THREAD HERE? just because some local customs may differ from one spot to another it doesn't mean that human nature is any different! Sorry to spout so much but until I find anything different I'll keep the opinion that the national trends my differ but on an individual level people are much the same...... now quit the back biting and tell me why Apple Pie is so American.... just curious!!!!

United States of Irony

Post 90

Seanie

by the way, for more backbiting go here:

http://www.h2g2.com/forumframe.cgi?forum=316&thread=1465

but please don't contribute!!!!

can't drive 55

Post 91

FairlyStrange

Back to the speed limit. I don't know where in America (by the way, the Latin Americans hate for folks to call us that> But that's another story.)anyway, where in this country can you get by driving 55? In central Alabama, that will get you killed! The German Autobaun ain't got nothin' on us!smiley - smiley

United States of Irony

Post 92

Doctor Anarchy

Speaking of irony, in the United States, we have the House of Representatives, elected officials who are supposed to represent the
common person....
...yet over half of them are millionares.

Excuse me, would you like some more sugar with your IRONY?!?

United States of Irony

Post 93

Dawd1

At least they are elected. In England the second house is full of peers, who are in that position due to the accident of birth. Some of them being in that position due to their ancestors doing favours for the monarch etc. And if you ever see the House of Lords on TV, you will invariably notice some of the old chaps/ladies asleep on the benches. smiley - smiley
PS I wasn't intended to have a go at the US, just messing around. Peace. I'd like to go there sometime.

United States of Irony

Post 94

Speaking of peace. Which country with the USA bomb next in its relentless, desperate, determination not to be late for WW3 as it so shamefully was for WW1 and WW2.

United States of Irony

Post 95

FairlyStrange

OUCH!!!

United States of Irony

Post 96

Seanie

so, about this Apple Pie? - I can understand Blueberry Pie but....

America (more)

Post 97

Dandelion Pegleen

I am a curiosity of nature - born in New Jersey and raised in England (Lancashire, Essex, Kent, Birmingham). I talk the Queen's English what's proper (WITHOUT a Brummie accent) but my passport bears the Great Seal of the USA. I have married a Solihull man and both us intend to relocate to Los Angeles.

There is much wrong with my native land, as there is with all nations. Its media does not do it any favours. But there is still a greatness of heart and breadth of soul - Lady Liberty has her arms outstretched even if the INS have made her hold a STOP sign instead of a torch of welcome. God Bless America and all other nations! (not just because I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for her!)

United States of Irony

Post 98

I think it has something to do with Adam and Eve, snakes and the sexual habits of the so-called Moral Majority of corrupt bigots

United States of Irony

Post 99

Spot on Pete, alias The bearded one

Apple Pie is really English in origin, well OK French, but as a good chunk of the US population has ancestry on this side of the Atlantic the reference to apple pie is simply harking back to the search for roots.......and we all know apple trees have roots.

United States of Irony

Post 100

And now thanks to the gee wiz we are americans, arn't we terrific syndrum strawberrys grow on trees, and only some carry life threatening diseases. America the Brave. American Indian Braves, wow good desert, wanna sell. We have friends in government you know.

Key: Complain about this post