A Conversation for h2g2 Announcements

Thursday 4th April - Announcing: h2g2 is one of 100 websites Capturing the digital universe

Post 1

h2g2 Operations

A group of curators and experts from participating libraries (the British Library, the National Library of Scotland, the National Library of Wales, Bodleian Libraries, Cambridge University Library and Trinity College Dublin) have chosen 100 Websites which they judge will be essential reading for future generations researching our life and times in 2013. These sites will be archived, to ensure their permanent availability.

And h2g2 is among those! We are so proud!

Here's what they say: H2g2 - launched in 1999 by Douglas Adams, and formerly hosted by the BBC, hg2g (sic!) did Wikipedia before Wikipedia. A wonderful eclectic community which does the original source proud.

Read more here: http://www.bl.uk/100websites/index.html

And for the full list, see http://www.bl.uk/100websites/top100.html

Thank you *everyone* who contribute to h2g2, in all the ways you do it!

Milla smiley - cogs

Thursday 4th April - Announcing: h2g2 is one of 100 websites Capturing the digital universe

Post 2

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

We should be rightly proud to be part of this fantastic website. Congratulations to everybody past and present who has contributed, supported and been part of our community.

smiley - applause to all the Researchers!

smiley - pggbsmiley - pggbsmiley - pggbsmiley - pggb

Post 3

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Yay™

smiley - pirate

Post 4

Baron Grim

"Go! Team HooToo!" smiley - towel

Post 5

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - biggrin

Truly welcome news.
Now that I know for certain that Cyber-archeologists
will be able to find my work after I'm gone, I can now
die happily. No wait, not happily, just happy.

I haz been immordalised.
smiley - laugh
~jwf~

Post 6

Rod

Hmm
Not sure I want ALL my words & works to be to be preserved in vinegar or even aspic.

Can you imagine, in fifty years' time, a research project: What type of people were 'we' then?

Post 7

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

The ledgend of nighthoover shall be preserved for all eternity... scarey thought eh? smiley - laugh
More seriously... smiley - wow gosh, blimey and double gosh blimey... kor... smiley - wow

Post 8

Peanut

Well done smiley - applause and congratulations smiley - bubbly

Post 9

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

As a member of the h2g2 community, I am taking personal credit for this. Thank me in your own time.

Post 10

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Yay, to all of us. smiley - somersault

Well done peeps. smiley - biggrinsmiley - applause

smiley - bubbly
smiley - ale
smiley - cider

</smiley overload over>

Post 11

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

They've managed to mispell h2g2 in the list of the websites, the second time its mentioned by name smiley - huhsmiley - erm

OK.

So, who's going to write a guide entry about the project to catalog the web? smiley - biggrinsmiley - biro

Post 12

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

Oh my gosh......... smiley - bubbly well done everyone...... Now can I have my badges back smiley - rofl

Post 13

HonestIago

Sounds like a good excuse to raise a glass in Manchester. This is seriously awesome.

Post 14

Vip

I think the misspelling is just the normal capitalisation problem we have when things decide to capitalise the beginning of sentences.

smiley - bubbly

smiley - fairy

Post 15

Icy North

This is a significant recognition of the h2g2 project. Not only is it due to our late founder's insight, but also to all those people who kept it on the straight and narrow - the editors, moderators and, most of all, 2legs smiley - zensmiley - ponysmiley - handcuffssmiley - drool

Post 16

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

I'm too modest to let it go to my headsmiley - whistle

BUT! bloodysmiley - magic

Post 17

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

"underscore" just hope it don't attract hackerssmiley - sadface to cause any problems etc

Post 18

benjaminpmoore

I hate to underline what Icy already said, but a glance at the QOTD archive suggests that 2legs will be taken VERY seriously in 100 years time. Like stonehenge, marvellous, weird and inexplicable.

Post 19

HonestIago

And also like Stonehenge, may have been used for fertility rituals.

Post 20

benjaminpmoore

LOL

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more