A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What did you learn today? (TIL)

Post 121

Baron Grim

Bok choi would be so tasty with haggis. smiley - drool

Post 122

Deb

Today I learnt that the national animal of Scotland is the unicorn.

My brother called and said he was doing an online quiz and it asked what the national animal of Scotland was, giving as the answers a) highland cow; b) unicorn; c) haggis; 4) badger (it wasn't that, but something like); or e) the loch ness monster. He tried highland cow and it said the answer was unicorn - I asked him what the quiz was...What kind of princess are you? smiley - rofl

So of course I had to google it and it's true:

http://www.visitscotland.com/about/uniquely-scottish/national-animal-unicorn/

I lived in Orkney for 10 years and never leart this. I'm completely charmed by it

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 123

Baron Grim

I recently learned this as well. It wasn't from a quiz for me. It was just a meme that said, "Google the national animal of Scotland, you'll be glad you did." I did, and I was. smiley - ok

Post 124

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

http://www.thecut.com/2016/03/unicorns-real-but-ugly.html

Unicon deer are sometimes encountered
http://www.unicornsrule.com/unicorn-deer/

Post 125

Baron Grim

TIL

Before the wonderfully frustrating Infocom text adventure (which I still haven't finished playing smiley - erm), there was another "official" Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy text adventure game. It was licensed by Pan Books and DNA but that permission was later rescinded to make way for the Infocom game.

This was definitely a good thing as the first game was apparently a real stinker.

http://advgamer.blogspot.com/2018/07/missed-classic-56-hitch-hikers-guide-to.html

It very much seems they just picked some names, characters, objects, and planets out of the original radio series or books and slapped them into a game with no consideration of plot and character development.

Still an interesting story.

Post 126

Sho - employed again!

at my advanced age I have just learned how to play Beer Pong.
smiley - ale

Post 127

I still haven't learned that. So far this month I've learned how to identify Catalba Trees and Eastern Red Cedar Trees. I like both kinds of trees a lot, though the Catalbas have a habit of taking root in the worst possible places. smiley - steam

Post 128

ITIWBS

Sounds like my kind of tree. (The catalba.)

'Minds me of a potted pathos philodendron I had once.

Kept uprooting itself and replanting itself in the bare earth.

I finally gave up and let it grow where it wanted to.

Post 129

That's generally the best idea. smiley - smiley

Post 130

Baron Grim

TIL
The word "rooster" was created by puritan Americans as a euphemism for the word "cock" to avoid sexual connotations.

Post 131

Orcus

So they couldn't just say cockerel then smiley - rolleyes

Post 132

Whenever I'm riding on The Tube, I get a big kick out of hearing the proper recorded voice pronounce "Cockfoster". smiley - laugh

Post 133

Baron Grim

I also learned today that a cockerel is specifically a younger male chicken, less than a year old.

Post 134

You can call me TC

I learned a helluva lot about Power Point, just by trial and error and fiddling around. (I am putting together a slide show of our holiday using power point rather than just a slide show, so I can include maps and stuff.)

Post 135

Icy North

Don’t forget the heavy-duty padlocks for the doors, so your guests can’t escape during the slideshow smiley - winkeye

Post 136

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

I always wondered about cockpit. Why did the puritans miss that (maybe some temporal displacement issue, I guess)
Maybe I'll just go and look up the etymology.

Post 137

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Ah, derived from the workspace of the coxswain on Navy ships. No intercourse or aviary related predecessors.

Post 138

Baron Grim

You mean the roosterpit. Before starting the plane, you'll need fuel so open the stoprooster. You don't want to go off half roostered. For badminton you'll need a shuttlerooster. Under the fridge and cupboards you might find rooster-roaches. And after all this I'm sure you're ready for a stiff roostertail.

Post 139

All this to avoid using a word derived form the French word coq?

The French will continue using this word, and people will still eat coq au vin.

Post 140

Baron Grim

Heh... The quite British fellow who runs my local pub (in Texas, with his Arizonian wife) occasionally cooks a dish he calls "drunken chicken". It has mushrooms, onions, carrots... it's cooked in a red wine sauce...

It's coq au vin!

But he just can't allow himself to admit he cooks a French dish in his British pub. smiley - laugh

Key: Complain about this post