smiley - evilgrin

What did you learn today? (TIL)

Post 162

bobstafford

That's a true talentsmiley - oksmiley - biggrin

Post 163

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

The Muppets have loosed quite a lot of earworms on an unsuspecting world. I blame the Russian clone of Kermit. He may be innocent of some of it, but obviously he's Russian, and we Yanks like to blame Russians.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4txmBNCAXg8

Post 164

Baron Grim

So...

American evangelical Christians just love to condem homosexuality by quoting the Old Testament, specifically Leviticus 18:22. “Man shall not lie with man, for it is an abomination,”

WELL! Apparently this is not only a modern translation, but a modern AMERICAN translation dating only back to 1946.

Every other translation refers not to homosexuality, but rather to paedophilia!

Well that actually sounds reasonable!

http://www.forgeonline.org/blog/2019/3/8/what-about-romans-124-27

smiley - pirate BG

Post 165

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

That is really interesting. If you look at it that way, you might as well interpret the current version as, lying down is sinful, but doing the deed while standing upright is OK. Alternatively, it could mean that men always have to speak the truth in the presence of another man.

Post 166

Orcus

I think we need a non-clerical theologist and language expert to re-examine the results of the Council of Nicea and possibly the Dead Sea Scrolls on this one.

Or.... we could just use our own sense of 'do as you would be done by' type thing ... radical!

Post 167

Orcus

(that is actually quite an interesting article, they have indeed gone for the original Nicean greek there...)

Post 168

Maybe we can petition to re-evaluate the apple incident and solve all problems at the source.

Post 169

You can call me TC

You mean gravity doesn't exist??

Post 170

I was referring to the Apple/Eve/Adam/Snake event, but maybe we can sidetrack to Newtonian physics as well.

Post 171

Orcus

Ah but was it a snake.... or a serpent..?

Post 172

Orcus

TIL that I have unlearned the use of hootoo smileys lol smiley - winkeye

Post 173

ITIWBS

"Snake" or "Serpent" was a poetical allusion for a Druidical priest in classical times, from the tattoos of serpents they had about their wrists to identify them.

Post 174

Baron Grim

Also there's no direct reference to the fruit being an apple. smiley - apple

Theologians might argue that the fruit might have been a pomegranate much like Star Wars fans might argue about the the relation between wookies and ewoks. Both groups will leave me smiley - rolleyessmiley - facepalm.

Post 175

Orcus

Well, I was being facetious I hope you appreciate smiley - winkeye

I agree smiley - smiley

Post 176

Baron Grim

Bees quit flying during a total eclipse.

In multi-state experiment that had elementary school students place microphones in flowered fields during the 2017 American Eclipse, they confirmed that bees stop buzzing during totality. Most likely this is similar to how drivers will slow down in foggy weather and should pull over when visibility degrades to zero.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/busy-bees-take-break-during-total-solar-eclipses-180970502/

Post 177

You can call me TC

From what I remember of the 1999 eclipse, EVERYTHING just shut up and stopped moving - humans, birds, crickets, bees.....

Post 178

Orcus

Yes indeed - it was very eerie, and worth going to the area of totality just for that. Let's face it, it was cloudy so we couldn't actually see the eclipse smiley - rolleyes

I liked it that the birds started singing as totality broke again too - that was beautiful and weird at the same time.

Post 179

You can call me TC

We were lucky - we had a clear sky. Although not far up the road, it was cloudy.

Post 180

Orcus

Today (or more correctly last night) I learned an operational essential for use of push-button powered reclining chairs - we got a new one y'see.

If you are in recline, and you have a cat on your lap.... and you now need to get off the chair...

remove cat first.

Otherwise you have a cat who unexpectedly falls off your lap and so digs claws in to stop falling.

Ouch!

Strictly speaking also - I should have learned this TWO days ago. But no.... I have to learn the hard way as usual smiley - facepalmsmiley - catsmiley - laugh

Key: Complain about this post