A Conversation for Ask h2g2

How did you come to h2g2?

Post 1

toybox

More specifically, did you end up on h2g2 because of Douglas Adams's work, or for some other reason?

Post 2

Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo)

I think it was through the mention in The Salmon Of Doubt.

Post 3

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Digital Village is mentioned on the inside cover of my copy of The Deeper of Meaning of Liff - and from there to h2g2.com.

Post 4

Taff Agent of kaos

can only get out onto the bbc site at work and stumbled upon hootoo while rooting around in cult!!!

smiley - bat

Post 5

tzjin_anthony_ks

'flu. or rather, tried to fall, but missed the ground

Post 6

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I was carried here, through the air on the back of a badger, by forty-two swans with very strong necks and a bad scence of direction.

err randomly came across the pre BBC version via Google, and thence to the BBC, though I never could find my origional account... smiley - erm

Post 7

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

I haven't 'come to' yet.
I'm still in a comma,,,,,,
although the dockers say it could get inverted.

smiley - silly
~jwf~

Post 8

Incidentally, I stayed because someone answered my question in Ask and I was mightily impressed. smiley - ok

BaldBloke replied to my: 'What's the difference between a lexicographer and a philologist?' , poser. smiley - geek

Post 9

Well? what is the differnce? and can you find the thread now? smiley - laugh

Post 10

Taff Agent of kaos

you can't get a drink out of a philologist!!!!!!smiley - oksmiley - runsmiley - lurk

smiley - bat

Post 11

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

I was looking for information about 70s cult TV series The Professionals, and I found this excellent entry in the EG: A1161190

That go me really intrigued - who had written it, and what was this place? So I rambled round the EG for a bit, and then found the rest of the community. It was the writing aspect that intially interested me, but later it was the community that made me stay.

I read for a year or so before I joined. Learnt all about the dramas that happen here before I came onboard smiley - winkeye

Post 12

Philologists study the structure of language.

Lexicographers compile dictionaries.

Post 13

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

Daughter Vicki Virago had been telling the family all about this community of extremely odd people she'd come across online smiley - tongueincheek

Wee'ell, she decided to enroll me here so YOU odd entities could help me give up smoking smiley - sigh

That was over five years ago... and I haven't had a cigarette since! smiley - magic

Post 14

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

Needed an answer as to why there is not a definitive fire-man's uniform... And I'll I'm still waiting!!!

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 15

KB

smiley - erm Are there any definitive uniforms? Soldiers vary by regiment, police forces by region within the same country...

Professional fire-quenchers started off on a very local and regional basis anyway - basically a guild system to put out fires on members' property.

Post 16

A lot of the volenteer fire fighters in London during World war II were cabbies.... they knew the streets well so could hopefully* quickly get to any site where a fallen bomb had lead to a fire... smiley - erm

smiley - bluelight

They're uniforms are useually very nice though smiley - droolsmiley - droolsmiley - droolsmiley - droolsmiley - ermsmiley - blush

Post 17

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

There were bunches and bunches of references to h2g2 in The Salmon of Doubt.

Incidentally, wasn't there already a Thread about this at some point?

smiley - pirate

Post 18

"Incidentally, wasn't there already a Thread about this at some point?"

I believe so. It's probably flanked by threads about the lack of a form search. smiley - winkeye

Post 19

*forum* search.

Post 20

Milla, h2g2 Operations

I found it via the babelfish translation thingy on Yahoo. Nine years ago, almost to the day.

smiley - towel

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more