A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What questions are you expecting to see on ASK as a consequence of the influx of new researchers at the film release?

Post 1

The Groob

1) What do those little eyes next to my name mean?

2) What were your favourite children's TV shows from yesteryear?

What questions are you expecting to see on ASK as a consequence of the influx of new researchers at the film release?

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

I refuse to comment on a thread with such a wide title, as it plays hell with my browser.

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

Apologies! I posted this to the wrong thread.smiley - blush

Post 4

The Groob

Actually I've been thinking of posting this question for a while and as there's a thread with a very long title I thought this is the best time to take the plunge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

The first question will be:

Wots the question with the ansur 42?

Post 6

Yelbakk

smiley - cheers

"Hey, I bet someone will even write a book based on the movie!"

Y.

Post 7

You can call me TC

Shades of Xolin - who arrived here expecting a hard core fan site on the day that the "talking point" was ginger biscuits, and started the "Trite Cr*p" thread. He got the hang in the end, and I, for one, miss him.

There'll be plenty similar to Gnomon's suggestion. (How *did* you think that up?)

We will then all be asked how we first found the site, will be told we're all pedants, threads will be started about favourite books, favourite films, blah blah. Someone will have to explain "Rupert" all over again, and what an Italic is.

The rule about spitting will be ignored.

I could ramble on with a load of other stuff which is becoming obsolete, and which is only known to those who've been here a few years. But the whole point of the medium of the internet is that people can come and go when they want, and it is open to all. Not knowing that the "Help" button used to be called "Don't Panic", or that there didn't used to be a "Yikes" smiley - yikes button doesn't make anyone stupid or superfluous to the site.

When we've sorted the wheat from the chaff, I hope we'll have acquired some really useful contributors, particularly if they fall outside the usual pattern of researchers we have here. Sometimes I despair that we are such a homogenous group of middle class Western European types. This is fine and helps conversation along most of the time, and, of course, there is still a high degree of diversity, but we do need some fresh viewpoints sometimes.

And despite what I have said that about the wheat and the chaff, I don't wish anyone to leave without having found out what this place has to offer. Maybe some of the fluffier ones will calm down and turn out not to be so fluffy.

Sorry - such a long philosophical answer to a simple question.

Any bets on when the first one asks "How do you play Mornington Crescent?"

And how much publicity is the site going to get within the film's marketing concept anyway?

Post 8

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

1) I want 2 use my old account what 2 dosmiley - zen

2) Hichhikkerz wos wikkid who finks so

3) Will there be a book?

24% of the new users will be called Ford Prefect.
22% will be called Arthur Dent.
19% will be called Marvin
14% will be called Zaphod
11% will be called Slartibartfast and 63% of them will have spelt it wrong.
10% will be called Trillian

In Peer Review we'll get a few reviews of the film, a smart arse who has Copied some of the guide's dialogue into an Entry, and somebody's awful attempt at a Hitchhikers 2 script.

Post 9

intelligent moose (the one true H2G2 Moose)

ASL?

Wanna see some puppies?

smiley - winkeye

(those were examples - I'm not coming on to Mr Dreadful...)

Post 10

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

i want 2 uncancil this account wat 2 do?

help.

When was the last time you took your dinasaur for a walk in the park with some kitchen countertops made in Spain?

Post 11

GodBen (The Magical Astronomer) - 00000011

'Who's Bob?'

Post 12

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

Who is this n i g h t h o o v e r cult, and what does it have to do with Rupert?

What the f*** is an LDer?

Why does No No No have such a long string?

Why should I believe in thing?

And WHO is 2legs? smiley - laugh

Oh! and Badgers? Where'd they come from?

Just a nice friendly assortment to start with.

smiley - musicalnote

Post 13

What the f*** is an LDer? smiley - erm </>

Post 14

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

and while we're at it what/who *is* Rupert anmyway?</>

Post 15

Its (I think) a reverse trangulation of the middle 800 posts in teh cancil thread, combined with the tangent of the most recent badger thrads, divided by the number of churchill dogs out on an average Sundsy in 'ask', which is then ra transverse comodulated to the cosine of the number of Tony Curtis's online at 2.15 on the first Wednesday of Lent.

Post 16

Ah yes, of course. smiley - huh

OK, I'm taking bets on how many entries about Earth which only contain the words "Mostly Harmless" will appear within a month of the film release.

Post 17

The answer is, of course, 42 smiley - groan

Post 18

Researcher XXXXXX

i understand this question up to the point (at the fim release?)

what does this mean

and what do the little eyes mean after my name?

Post 19

Ged42

I wonder if it will save a lot of flame wars between old and new researchers, if they put a 'Discuss the Film' section on the front page or a link to...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/A2642384

As for more questions:

Which version of Hitchhikers do you think is the best?

Post 20

Perhaps a page should be made explaining everything and anything about this site that we can be bothered to put down. That way any newbies can be sent to that page instead of asking questions.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more