A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Have you got an embarassing name?

Post 1

swl

Inspired by: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7522952.stm

"A judge in New Zealand made a young girl a ward of court so that she could change the name she hated - Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii. He attacked a trend of giving children bizarre names, citing several examples.

Officials had blocked Sex Fruit, Keenan Got Lucy and Yeah Detroit, he said, but Number 16 Bus Shelter, Violence and Midnight Chardonnay had been allowed.

One mother wanted to name her child O.crnia using text language, but was later persuaded to use Oceania, he said."

So do you have a silly name? Or do you know anyone with a silly name?

Post 2

Researcher 1300304

i once read about the dick family in the birth notices, welcoming their daughter, ophelia.

Post 3

Researcher 1300304

sorry to double post, but i just remembered the spoonerists name of the century.

shiloh pitt.

Post 4

NPY

Saw this article a while ago - also from New Zealand for some random reason. They seem to like weird names there.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6937327.stm

The souple wanted to call their kid "4real" but settled for "Superman". Why!?!??!?

Post 5

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

Good to see the BBC picking up all the important stories coming out of New Zealand.

I don't find my name embarassing but it's a bit weird when people start on about buying furniture.

Post 6

kuzushi

There was a Chinese couple who wanted to call their kid "@".
Apparently "@" (at), pronounced "ai ta" sounds live "love him/her" in Chinese.

Post 7

HonestIago

A mate of mine has a self-inflicted awful name. He changed his perfectly normal name to Jellyfish McSavaloy. He thought it was great, got him in the newspapers. The rest of us thought it was ridiculous, and we've all ended up just calling him J.

Post 8

Researcher 1300304

i once met a group of elvis presleys in a pub. not impersonators, just friends so dedicated they changed their names as a group. and yes, i did ask to see their drivers licences.

Post 9

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

heard about a family called bob. one of the sons was named bob bob

and then of course major major major in joseph hellers smiley - book catch 22

smiley - pirate

Post 10

Feisor - -0- Generix I made it back - sortof ...

I heard on the radio today about Mr And Mrs Goodfellow's little girl - they named her Freesia. Not too bad - until they announced her middle name "Jolly" - poor girl was called Freesia Jolly Goodfellow smiley - groan

Some parents must hate their children!

Post 11

indeed smiley - erm

what makes me wonder is they allow these names - but cutting of ears is strictly prohibited

where's the logic smiley - huh

smiley - pirate

Post 12

swl

One of my mum's patients has two young daughters called Dolce and Gabbana. smiley - erm

Post 13

i'm guessing your mum's a psychiatrist smiley - erm

smiley - pirate

Post 14

Elentari

As an aside, did anyone notice that the section on this on the BBC front page linked to a hootoo article called How Not To Name Children?

Nice to see. I know from my ACEing spurt the other day it got us a few new researchers too. They probably won't stay, but it all helps.

Post 15

NPY

I remember that article. WAs a good one.

Post 16

BeowulfShaffer

Ya it was great it one of the three that I often show to my freinds.
My family uses noramal names but some how ends up with the same name multiple time for example I have a cousin named Sara whos brother is married to my other cousin Sara.

Post 17

NPY

So you've two cousin Saras and they're sister-in-laws.....that has to be confusing. Are they cousins to each other too, or are they opposite sides of your family?

I've heard of cousins the same age and same name where both sets of parents liked it. If it were me, I'd come up with a different name for my kid.

Post 18

Researcher 1300304

there are probably few families with so many shared names as the kennedy clan. a wade thru the family history of 4 generations on wiki is a serious challenge.

Post 19

NPY

Could you not come up with a bit of variation though? fair enough if you want to stick to the family tradition of calling the eldest child after his/her father/mother. but surely where there's a chance there'll be several kids of the same generation with the same name, surely you need a bit more imagination.

Post 20

McKay The Disorganised

In my family the first born son of the eldest son is always called George - I'm the 7th.

smiley - cider

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more