A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What films etc

Post 7681

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

You can't just drop that in here...WHY did the old ladies object to Errol Flynn? smiley - rofl

Was it his reputation? Olivia de Haviland's way of eating chicken? What????

Oh, and on-topic: last night, I watched 'Farewell, Herr Schwarz' by Yael Reuveny. A fascinating and touching movie about a search for the answer to a family mystery. Recommended highly for those who either don't mind subtitles, or are bilingual in German and Hebrew. smiley - winkeye

What films etc

Post 7682

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

"You can't just drop that in here...WHY did the old ladies object to Errol Flynn?" [Dmitri]

This is the *perfect* thread to drop it into. If I had had any clue why they didn't like it, I wouldn't have shown it to them. Seriously, can't you see this was a cry for help? smiley - sadface Adventure isn't high on their list of priorities, perhaps, but as they never said why they hated it, I'll never know. I was hoping you could help.

What films etc

Post 7683

If they were over 80, they might have objected to Flynn himself. My father was quite stern about mentioning the man in 'mixed company'. smiley - rofl

What films etc

Post 7684

I doubt that very many were *under* 80. smiley - winkeye

What films etc

Post 7685

Pink Paisley

Ben Hur.

Filmed in bludding woBBLYCam......

I really do wish they'd stop it. Thank the FSM that I didn't go for the 3D option. THAT would have been awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BmeR9GYdDU

Lots of shouting 'hya'.

PP.

What films etc

Post 7686

broelan

My son rented Batman V Superman over the weekend. I'd have rather dug my eyeballs out with a rusty spoon. That was awful!

What films etc

Post 7687

What is worse: that they keep remaking the same stories, or that they do it so badly? smiley - winkeye

What films etc

Post 7688

What's worst is that the old stories were barely worth doing the *first* time. smiley - groan

What films etc

Post 7689

smiley - laugh

What films etc

Post 7690

Pastey

I reckon they've got a monthly limit on old (and new) movies.

Once the stop bringing in that amount of money, they remake them.

What films etc

Post 7691

Teasswill

Saw Miss Peregrine's School for Peculiar Children last night.

Teen goth material - ghoulish but with humour. Enjoyable to watch, plenty of effects but plot a bit weak. As so often I came away thinking 'why didn't the goodies/baddies do that' which would be more sensible but of course shorten the film considerably...

What films etc

Post 7692

I won't talk about "Rogue One."

"Jackie" and "Manchester by the Sea" were superbly acted and deeply moving.

"La La Land" was a trifle, but an awesomely choreographed and filmed trifle. The big song and dance numbers were long, complex, and filmed in one take. How did they do it?

What films etc

Post 7693

Pastey

Saw Call Me Claus over the holidays, possibly the worst film I've ever watched. So bad I had to watch it to the end to see if it really was that awful. It was.

What films etc

Post 7694

According to one reviewer at IMDB, "it's not the worst Christmas film."

Have you ever seen "Santa Claus conquers the Martians"? Now *there's* a contender for the prize!smiley - biggrin

This week I will be seeing "Fences" and "sing"

What films etc

Post 7695

Pastey

Santa Claus versus the Martians... right.

What films etc

Post 7696

Bluebottle

'Santa Claus Conquers the Martians' really, really is bad – and not in a 'so bad it is good' sort of way… smiley - santasmiley - peacesignsmiley - martianfrown

<BB<

What films etc

Post 7697

coelacanth

Well is it's a 'so bad it's good' film you're after, can I recommend "Gonks Go Beat" which pops up occasionally on the Talking Pictures channel. I've now seen it twice, having made my daughter watch it last week.

It's Romeo and Juliet - if written in the 60's and set in the future. With groovy music. And Gonks. Mark Kermode described it as "the Plan 9 From Outer Space of film musicals", so that gives you a clue what to expect.

If you don't have the stamina for the whole film, check out the drumming sequence - which is awesome, and the Pan's People dream sequence - which isn't.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonks_Go_Beat
smiley - bluefish

What films etc

Post 7698

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

I saw Arrival at the Senior Screen today. Great film for a sci-fi fan, and it had a twist I didn't see coming, which is why I enjoyed it so much.

Last week I saw A Street Cat Named Bob. Not ashamed to admit this made me cry but then homelessness is one of my biggest fears.

A few weeks ago it was Light Between Oceans. Powerful drama, superbly acted. I'd back this for Oscars but I have never picked any award winners so what do I know. Just that it's worth seeing, if only to realise the power of love.

GB
smiley - galaxysmiley - cdouble

What films etc

Post 7699

Pink Paisley

I share that fear GB. I can't imagine what it would be like to have to have all your 'things' in a bag and not sleep under my own duvet.

On a more cheerful note, (really?) I saw Trainspotting 2 (after catching up with Trainspotting).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsozpEE543w

Highly recommended - especially if you can get to see the first film first.

PP.

What films etc

Post 7700

"A few weeks ago it was Light Between Oceans. Powerful drama, superbly acted. I'd back this for Oscars but I have never picked any award winners so what do I know" [Galaxy Babe]

I don't think that peopole on different continents have access to the same movies. Of the three movies you mentioned, "Light between oceans" was the only one that played in my area. I agree that it was superb. smiley - ok

I make an effort to see most of what Oscar nominates, but after last year's "Revenant," I no longer feel like punishing myself by seeing unpalatable films smiley - yuk. There are a lot of old fogeys [and maybe a few young fogeys] in the "Academy." Peter O'Toole was good enough to be nominated for 8 Oscars, but never won one? Please! Alfred Hitchcock, nominated for 5 Oscars, but never wion one? I could make a list of Oscar-winning films that most people have hardly heard of, let alone seen. There has to be a better way of identifying movie excellence. smiley - cross But until such a way is found, what we have is the Oscars every year.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more