A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What films etc

Post 7661

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Depends on their tastes.

The movies of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers are my favorites.

If comedy is what's wanted, there's a slew of Mel Brooks classics to consider.

Animation? "Toy Story" and its sequels, as well as the series started by "Shrek," "Ice Age," and 'Madagascar."

If violence and action is key, there are series that I've never seen but keep hearing about: "Die Hard," "Fast and Furious."

Horror? Take your pick among "friday the 13th," "Nightmare on Elm Street," and "saw"

Young adult classics adaptations? "Twilight," Hunger Games, "Divergent." Or, if golden-age Hollywood can be tolerated, there are all the "Andy hardy" movies.

What films etc

Post 7662

You can call me TC

Pastey did you say film box sets or TV series box sets?

For films the obvious choice would be the Blues Brothers, not only because it is a favourite of mine but it always goes down well. Music, comedy, car chases, great star cameos, great quotes. For TV I would go for classic comedy or maybe even old detective series or Dixon of Dock Green, Z cars. Can you get hold of 20-year old episodes of Coronation street?

Silent movies would be great because people can still chat while watching. Can also be accompanied by live music.

What films etc

Post 7663

Pastey

Both film and TV. I was thinking of kicking it off with starting with Firefly from lunchtime followed by Serenity in the evening.

I like the idea of silent films!

What films etc

Post 7664

Bluebottle

Does Leeds still have a silent film festival? We saw 'Metropolis' on the big screen there, and they used to have silent films in a gothic church with live music dating from the 1920s played on the church organ, which was very atmospheric…

You didn't want to go for a pub-themed film? 'The World's End' and 'Shaun of the Dead' would work well if you wanted a modern film. Or there's always the traditional drinking game films like 'Withnail and I'.

<BB<

What films etc

Post 7665

If you want an upscale concept, how about a restaurant setting like "My dinner with Andre?"

What films etc

Post 7666

You can call me TC

World's End - the film about the pub - is really fitting. Talking of the World Ending, there is of course quite a long scene in a pub in the Hitchhiker's film, too. You know, where the barman asks if they should be putting paper bags over their heads and hiding under the table. smiley - shrug

What films etc

Post 7667

As the world population grows, so does the genre of end-of-world stories. smiley - bigeyes

What films etc

Post 7668

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

It seems to me the real question is, what kinds of films do your patrons like? smiley - bigeyes

Do they prefer action, romance, old classics, scifi?

What films etc

Post 7669

Pastey

That's the beauty of it, at the moment we don't have any patrons. So we've got the opportunity to chose how this goes.

Although we could chose some weird/wonderful stuff and no-one might turn up. There's already a few film nights dotted about the city, but generally they're very obscure films, or far too pretentious for normal people.
I guess I'm looking for films like I do my beers, good quality ones that you can sit and enjoy, rather than whittering on about some bizarre concept or other than the maker was aiming for smiley - winkeye

What films etc

Post 7670

That sounds like a good plan. smiley - smiley After all, you want customers. smiley - winkeye

I don't have any films to recommend because I have no idea what normal people in the UK watch, not being either normal or from the UK. smiley - goodluck with it!

What films etc

Post 7671

Pastey

Our customers so far are definitely not normal!

Okay, some of them are very normal. Others make up for them smiley - biggrin

What films etc

Post 7672

How about movies that feature pubs? smiley - laugh

What films etc

Post 7673

Pastey

Not sure I want to give them ideas to go visit a pub instead of the brewery smiley - winkeye

What films etc

Post 7674

Well, there's "Strange Brew."
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086373/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I'll come up with some more as I think of them.....

What films etc

Post 7675

Mol - on the new tablet

We watched Inside Out this evening.

I'm not going to attempt to describe it. Just, everybody should see it.

Mol

What films etc

Post 7676

Pink Paisley

How about this Buster Keaton film?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1R5D2WFAfQ

PP.

What films etc

Post 7677

You can call me TC

So on the one hand you want something broadly pleasing to attract as many customers as possible, but on the other hand, you can control who comes by your choice of film.

How about drawing up a short list and asking your best customers which they would prefer.

This should now move to another thread.

What films etc

Post 7678

That sounds like a good plan.

Just don't ever show the 1930s "Robin Hood" to ladies at a retirement home smiley - bruised.

What films etc

Post 7679

You can call me TC

As if ladies from a retirement home would go for an outing to a brewery!

What films etc

Post 7680

You'd be surprised! smiley - biggrin

But I showed "Robin Hood" to them where they lived, a big mistake smiley - yikes. I got chewed out smiley - run.

As I aid earlier, if I think of more brewery-related films, I'll mention them here, if anyone is still on this thread. [My mind is as fast as a turtle these days smiley - blush]

Key: Complain about this post