A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What films etc

Post 7741

Orcus

Given their form for episode 7 they will not need to replace her. Peter Cushing being 20 odd years dead didn't stop him playing a major role in it smiley - winkeye

What films etc

Post 7742

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - laugh

What films etc

Post 7743

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

smiley - doh

A young Lawrence Olivier "appeared" digitally in "Sky Captain and the world of tomorrow," so I guess you're right. Maybe I just wanted to get Ms Streep into the Star Wars franchise by any means possible. smiley - whistle

What films etc

Post 7744

Pink Paisley

And this throws up an interesting question about how far this can go and the value of image rights.

On the Waterfront 2 staring Marlon Brando?
Return to Casablanca staring Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman?
Duck Soup - A Second Serving with Groucho, Harpo, Zeppo and Chico Marx?

After all, Roy Orbison and Elvis Presley have 'toured' recently.

PP.

What films etc

Post 7745

Teasswill

What about those adverts that have featured deceased film stars?

What films etc

Post 7746

I saw "Film stars don't die in Liverpool." Trouble is, a movie like that can very well die in theaters.

What films etc

Post 7747

Orcus

We can sort that one, just cast Sean Bean in a film set there :D

What films etc

Post 7748

I'd better agree with you. In "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" he played Zeus. I don't have the fancy footwork I'd need for dodging thunderbolts. smiley - run

What films etc

Post 7749

Teasswill

Last night saw "Intouchables" (French with English subtitles) at a pop-up cinema in our village hall.

Terrific film - very funny with a touch of pathos. Interested to discover it's based on a true story. Middle aged wealthy paraplegic (from paragliding accident) hires benefit seeking young street guy as carer. Utterly absorbing (probably helped by the wine & popcorn) but well worth seeing.

What films etc

Post 7750

You can call me TC

I'm so glad that film is now being seen in the UK. It took Europe by storm when it came out and young and old loved it (I can vouch for that - one young trainee in our department was as taken with it as any of us).

What films etc

Post 7751

Pink Paisley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34WIbmXkewU

I saw the trailer for The Intouchables ages ago and wanted to see it then but it didn't show up. Thanks for the alert. Eyes peeled......

PP.

What films etc

Post 7752

ITIWBS

Japanese anime films, "Lensman, The Power of the Lens",

What films etc

Post 7753

The Oscars were an interesting mix. not that I was interested enough to watch. Sally Hawkins was almost guaranteed to be in at least one award-winning movie, as she made three outstanding ones in 2017.

What films etc

Post 7754

Bluebottle

A thoroughly well-deserved Best Make-up and Hair win for 'Darkest Hour' I thought. They did outstanding work, and Gary Oldman deserved his Best Actor Oscar too.

<BB<

What films etc

Post 7755

Kudos all around.

I didn't see "get out" or the winning short subjects or foreign language films, but I saw the rest of the full-length English-language films that won awards.

What films etc

Post 7756

Pink Paisley

Gary Oldman was terrific and of the films I've seen this year, his performance was outstanding. I have no argument with that award.

I saw both 3 Billboards and The Shape of Water and would have given 3 Billboards the best film and Sally Hawkins the best actress awards. For my money Sally Hawkins was every bit as good as Gary Oldman she conveyed all sorts of emotions without speech. TSoW though, although highly original was a tad corny in parts - but still worth seeing just for Sally Hawkins' performance alone.

But then the 3 major Oscars would have been British and THAT could never happen.

If anybody out there in H2G2land hasn't seen these three films I'd recommend them highly.

And why do we still have best actor AND best actress awards? Same job.

PP.

What films etc

Post 7757

Orcus

Get out is a great fun film. It came on our telly package quite some time ago and we just watched if for a laugh, thinking it just another schlock horror pic - but it really was excellent fun.

Not quite sure how it is elevated to exultation to be fair, but it is jolly good fun.

We watched Baby Driver when snowbound in at the weekend - great high octane fun with a wonderful soundtrack.
I can't even bear to watch any of the fast and furious films but for some reason I didn't see this in the same light - a great heist action movie.

Seems it's a bit of a marmite film as looking at it's internet reviews it's a love it or hate it one.
Seeing as it's most likely Kevin Spacey's Swansong than gave it a little edge too.
My wife said she didn't care what he'd done, we'll watch it anyway - so I told her I was going to go in the attic and get out my Gary Glitter record collection... which I don't have of course, one big difference is he was also talentless smiley - winkeye

What films etc

Post 7758

"But then the 3 major Oscars would have been British and THAT could never happen" [Pink Paisley]

I haven't looked at Oscar history to test that hypothesis, but why couldn't it happen? And why couldn't American actors win BAFTA's, as Jake Gyllenhaal did for "Brokeback Mountain"?

I'd like to retain the separate actor and actress categories, even though Dustin Hoffmah won best actor for playing a woman in "Tootsy," and Linda Hunt won best actress for portraying a man in "Year of living dangerously."

That said, every year I get annoyed by the industry's insistence on flooding the theaters with more movies than anyone by critics could seer during November and December so they would qualify for Oscar nominations. That diminishes chances of seeing great films in the ten other months. Assuming, of course, that the awards have more than a passing concern for quality. How many classic movies, loved for years by connoisseurs and amateurs alike, originated with little or no notice by Oscar?

What films etc

Post 7759

Pink Paisley

Because $$$$$$$$$s.

PP.

What films etc

Post 7760

Pastey

Finally got around to watching Kingsman, and thoroughly enjoyed it. smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post