A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What Films have you seen recently?

Post 3041

Chewy-Chewy

In the last few weeks I have watched Norbit - thought it was rubbish, Children of Men - Good Film and Eragon - brilliant films.

Post 3042

A Super Furry Animal

I finally got round to seeing Shaun Of The Dead at the weekend. Very funny. Gonna try and see Hot Fuzz this weekend now.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 3043

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

You will absolutely enjoy that - I bet you a bottom-slappingsmiley - winkeye

Post 3044

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

After many failed attempts I finally watched The Ipcress File from beginning to end last night. Absolute classic, beautiful cinematography. It pains me to think that if it was re-made Harry Palmer would be all gung-ho and rugged and there'd probably be at least three explosions.

Post 3045

Xanatic

Well the Illusionist wasn´t as good as The Prestige, less complicated plot for one thing. But it is still a good movie, and probably more realistic.

Post 3046

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Just finished watching The Queen with Helen Mirren.

Not bad, a interesting replay of not-to-distant events. Some of the charactertures of the main players are well done and effective. I was particular taken by Alistair Cambells aggressive masculine posturing. smiley - laugh Whoever the guy that played him is, he sold the role well. smiley - smiley Also The Queen Mother's stoop reminded me of the old spitting image puppet. smiley - laugh

The voice of early Blair was well captured when less affected by the tics and shatner-like syncopation.

I'd say the film deserves a 3/5 / 5 because the performances are all enjoyable but I can't make my mind up about the film as a whole because I think so much rests of suppositions of events re-staged for dramatic effect so there's a feeling of ...hmm I dunno...a falseness which sits at odds with the re-telling of history.

Favourite moments:

"Oh bugger it!"

The Cheri Blair / Curtsey Gag. rather amusing. smiley - smiley

Post 3047

Rented Pan's labyrinth (finally) as well - that's for tomorrow's viewing. smiley - popcorn

Post 3048

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Just seen "Secretary" what an odd film.... good though.

Post 3049

yeah - it's an odd film that - the submissive/ dominace thing. smiley - handcuffs

Post 3050

flakey-lady.... you lookin' at me punk?

thanks xanatic i'll probably wait til it comes out on dvd... i finally saw THE QUEEN tonight on dvd... brilliant performances... tony blair was great as was prince phillip.. himoutdoors said he never realised what a nasty old basket he was... he doesn't read the tabloids then!!!

that sparten 300 looks very interesting..its doing fantastically in america apparently... out here 22 march.. we'll need babysitters but will watch this space for all your comments on it too...

Post 3051

300 - that's another Frank Milller inspired tale isn't it? (Batman, Sin City) Could proove interesting...

Post 3052

Pals of mine who have seen it say it is visually good, but smiley - erm not all that in the old plot department. You get a bit fed up of chaps in loin cloths killing after a bit! They all liked it.

To a man they said if you are going to see it go to the cinema mind....

Post 3053

clive we are definitely in tune here.. we saw the queen tonight and have pans labyrinth [also the prestige.. had a 3 for 2 voucher from block buster] i've seen the latter 2 but himoutdoors hasn't and i can watch them again with no problem

Post 3054

yes same director as sin city.. and it has that darkish shadowy look too... it'll have to be one for the big screensmiley - ok

Post 3055

Discerning patrons of the cinematic arts, we. smiley - cdoublesmiley - popcorn

smiley - winkeye

Post 3056

smiley - laugh

Post 3057

Xanatic

I see there´s a new movie on the way called Pathfinder, where vikings are again shown as horned, stupid brutes. If the Iranians are complaining about 300, perhaps Scandinavia should attempt a defamation suit against Hollywood. smiley - smiley

Post 3058

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

I went to see 300 this afternoon, considering I subbed A12889146 the Battle of Thermopylae I couldn't not, could I?

<> I can honestly say I never got fed up of the chaps in loin cloths, smiley - laugh and there were some moments when I laughed - like when King Leonidas came face-to-face with 'man-god' Xerxes and what he saidsmiley - roflbut it wasn't a funny film, don't get me wrong. It was toe-curlingly gory, definitely not a girlie film, and no wonder the Iranians are unhappysmiley - yikes

Post 3059

Miz307

I watched "Click" very funny smiley - smileysmiley - magic

Post 3060

Kiwisap - Thrower of Bananas and Master of Pineapples

Just saw Mad Max, never saw it, everybody told me it was a good film, well it proves that my friends don't have a good film-taste, terrible film

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more