A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What to do?

Post 101

Mrs Zen

You could try setting it up on a cross-rig with a travelling-awl.

What to do?

Post 102

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Make sure you lubricate it properly first though, it doesn't take much for it to stick and when it does it's all broken windows and angry neighbours.

What to do?

Post 103

Icy North

I generally rig up 16/25-mesh pallisade netting to avoid breaking windows. You can't usually get it without a bat-netting licence, though.

What to do?

Post 104

McKay The Disorganised

Like they're going to give me a bat-netting license after that incident with Kerry Katona !

I think I may have over-wound it, to be honest. The oscillator spring looks to have jumped over the elevating trundle, and I can see daylight between the flaps.

smiley - cider

What to do?

Post 105

Mrs Zen

I always said "Kerry Katona" was a ridiculous name to give to a parrot. Did the goat die?

What to do?

Post 106

KB

I think it hit the fascia bundle before it slid into the lake - could've been worse!

What to do?

Post 107

Geggs

I've never been able to get my hands on an original - rare as hen's teeth, they are. I have heard tell of a modern digital version which comes with an auto-correct feature installed, though. Is this a modification too far do you think?

Geggs

What to do?

Post 108

Digital's fine for hobbyists, but really the only way to do it properly is analogue.

What to do?

Post 109

Mrs Zen

Hah! Ever tried digital manipulation of a nipple ring?

What to do?

Post 110

McKay The Disorganised

I've only ever tried to manipulate a nipple ring with my fingers.

smiley - cider

What to do?

Post 111

swl

Ah, well that's your problem right there y'see. You need a Hawkins Lipped Protruder to deal with nipple rings. Just ease the flanged lips over the nipple and gently use the sprung protruder to ease the ring off.

What to do?

Post 112

Icy North

I'm so glad you posted that. Usually my mate gets impatient while I'm fiddling around with circlip pliers.

What to do?

Post 113

Mrs Zen

I'm not overly fond of circlip pliers. It's something about the angle. I don't think my fingers are long enough. I prefer of snout nosed badger grips, but you have to get the torsion right.

What to do?

Post 114

Ooh, I frequently use my grandfather's badger grips when working on mine. Fantastically made tool, proper craftsmanship, if I were told I could only use one pair of pliers they're the ones I'd choose.

What to do?

Post 115

winternights

I use my girlfriend’s dads old hammer that when alive he repaired time and time again, it’s very good at bashing screws in, beats using a screw driver

What to do?

Post 116

Mrs Zen

Not much beats tap with a 4lb sledge, eh, winternights. Repairing hammers is a skill. I find it's best to replace the handle first, then when that's settled in you can replace the head. Mind you, you may have to do that two or three times before it works properly.

Ben

What to do?

Post 117

Geggs

Oh, indeed. The biggest mistake is trying to replace both the handle and the head at the same time. You could end up with a completely different hammer if you did that. It just wouldn't be the same.

Geggs

What to do?

Post 118

winternights

I used to have a full comprehensive tool box but as circumstance prevailed I lost possession of this well equipped array. I am now resigned to using things that break the instant that I employ them. Is the moral of this story that I let my girlfriend use them so as to stop the impending demise of the items in the tool box or do you know of some very strong glue that will keep them together?

What to do?

Post 119

Icy North

Just get your girlfriend a canvas tool roll (from all good camping shops) and fill it with the basic household-repair stuff (screwdrivers, stanley knife, adjustable jamb gauge, universal cotter float, etc)

You want to avoid the proprietary superglues, though. I swear by Milligans Tiptree Bond. It comes in three tubes, 1. oxypriotolunitropetrosilicate, 2. quinine resin, and 3. Epoxypharmokryptotungsten fluid. You'll need polypropylene overalls and an oxyacetylene torch on hand just in case. Mix together according to the instructions.

What to do?

Post 120

McKay The Disorganised

Yes I use Milligan's too - just a word of warning, keep well away from any dried blood you might have around, causes it to go opaque.

smiley - cider

Key: Complain about this post