A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Vegetarianism

Post 1

aliashell

Due to a new found self-belief I am becoming a vegetarian. It is something I have always wanted to do but never had the courage.

My reasons are purely ethical, and I must admit a week in my resolve is weakening. I crave more than anything a crispy rasher of bacon. But I know I'll be able to hold.

Are there any other researchers out there going through or have gone through similar experiences that can help out with advice, recipes...etc

smiley - tongueout

Vegetarianism

Post 2

abbi normal "Putting on the Ritz" with Dr Frankenstein

Get your protein! That is where most veggitarians drop too low. Brain food, if your sluggish in the head, try more protein in the day.I especially like nuts & nut butters (yummy almond butter)to easily fill in protein gaps. smiley - devilI Have to have bacon occaisionally.

Vegetarianism

Post 3

aliashell

Thanks for that.

Can you recommend any good web sites ?

Also, does anyone know of a ( fairly ) definitive site of what products contain animal extracts?

smiley - biggrin

Vegetarianism

Post 4

Stephen

I have given up a number of things in my life:smoking, sugar and coffee being prime amonst them.

I have always found that early on there is almost no craving at all and you think you've got it cracked. Then the craving sets in and builds to a climax. Once you get past that stage however, it rapidly tails off and after a few months disappears altogether. And the problem is over!

Stick with it! Long term it's worth it!

Vegetarianism

Post 5

superdogmonkey

Lots of books available with info + all products used are listed on the side of packets. Watch out for meat by-products in the weirdest things!
ie: Chocolate mousse!
Biscuits from abroad - found some with pork fat in ... yummy!
lots more but no time.

smiley - monster

Vegetarianism

Post 6

The Snockerty Friddle

Try here A393176 .

TSF ( can now pass a chicken korma without drooling )

Vegetarianism

Post 7

Narapoia

Mmmmmmmm Bacon butty!
Roast beef and yorkshire pudding!!!

Gave up being a veggie after about 10 years when free range and organic meat started to become more easily available.

Vegetarianism

Post 8

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

If God has meant us to be vegetarians, he would have made cows run faster....

smiley - ale

Vegetarianism

Post 9

mrs the wife

If you do really fancy a bacon butty - try some veggie bacon, bacon bits or even bacon flavour crisps in a butty (yes, bacon crisps are veggie, it's only cheese and onion that aren't). OK it's not quite the same but it does cure that craving! NB an American brand is rather better than the UK varieties - and can be obtained in a supermarket that Jamie Oliver advertises. Have I got around the BBC no advertising stuff with that?

smiley - artist

(successfully veggie for the past 12 years!)

Vegetarianism

Post 10

xyroth

I can't help. I am an unashamed omnivore, who doesn't draw the line at anything that moves.

still, as long as you don't turn into one of the veggie mafia who think we should all be forced to give up meat (while at the same time thinking this will have no consequences) then all power to you.

good luck with it.

Vegetarianism

Post 11

aliashell

Nah, I still think that animals are a fiar part of the food chain if treated properly.

Vegetarianism

Post 12

aliashell

Just, erm....not for me.

Vegetarianism

Post 13

Ek* this space intentionally left blank *ki

I met a veggie who eats bacon ... he didn't like the taste of other meats but loved bacon ... eat what you want to eat.

Personally, I could never give up meat as I enjoy it too much - if it doesn't moo when you fork it, it's over cooked.

That's not to say I need meat for every meal but I could never give it up ... Lent is hard enough!

Vegetarianism

Post 14

zendevil

We meet yet again! Do you realise you, me & mrs are all veggies?
Wonder if smiley - reindeer is too?
Yet another line of research?!
smiley - strawberrysmiley - zenTerri

Vegetarianism

Post 15

cafram - in the states.

I agree - eat what you want to eat - don't say "oh I'm not allowed to eat that" - it's your choice - you can eat whatever you bally well want - there's not a food police force who will chase you down because you ate something you "shouldn't" have!

Vegetarianism

Post 16

alji's

There's only one good reason for being a veggie - You can eat food that is still alive.
The ethics of not eating meat - Farmers would not keep cattle, poultry and sheep of the fun of it so there would be no milk products, eggs, leather and wool.

We get our nuts mainly from third world countries and not everyone can eat them. See http://www.nutallergy.net/info.html

On the subject of nuts, see http://www.food.gov.uk/news/newsarchive/fig_and_nuts

Alji smiley - magicthe Magus

Vegetarianism

Post 17

cafram - in the states.

There are many good reasons to be a vegetarian!

Did you know that it takes more to 'keep' animals than to grow the crops?? In order to have a herd of cows, there must be land and a food source for the cows - if we used the land instead to grow grains or vegetables, it would be far more efficient!

Vegetarianism

Post 18

alji's

Try growing crops up a Welsh mountain.

Alji smiley - magicthe Magus

Vegetarianism

Post 19

Phryne- 'Best Suppurating Actress'

Has there any actual biological conclusion been drawn on whether we are 'meant' to be omnivorous or not? (i.e. teeth, digestive system, proteins normally obtained from meat not otherwise occuring naturally, etc.)

Vegetarianism

Post 20

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

"Try growing crops up a Welsh mountain."

Irrigating Montana, Wyoming, and Texas would be a neat trick, too.

Key: Complain about this post