A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 161

Hobbes - Keeper of Himself to Himself,(scout)

I'm reading two at the minute:

The Profanosarus, a dictionary of rude words from the writers of the Viz and Spares by Michael Marshall Smith

Post 162

Zero Irregardless

I'm hacking my way through "The Fabric of Reality" by David Deutsch. Although, if he is to be believed, there are an infinite number of copies of me reading the book, each misunderstanding his argument in a different way. There are also an infinite number of versions of his book, each fallacious in a different way, each being read by an infinite number of copies of me.

The "me" who is typing this is, I would judge, one of the more defective copies, reading an even more defective version. I hope this is not typical of the extant parallel universe.

Post 163

Crescent

Over the weekend Look to Windward by Iain M (Culture kicks ass), and A Scanner Darkly by Philip K Dick (Horrifying, bleak and funny - Trainspotting before Trainspotting was even a twinkle in Irvine's eye). Now onto Northern Lights, by Philip Pullman? As the Amber Spyglass is onsale, thought I should get the first one smiley - smiley Until later....
BCNU - Crescent

Post 164

weegie

Chuch Palahniuk's fight club

Post 165

Ommigosh

A collection of early Kurt Vonnegut SF stories.

Has anyone read his Slaughterhouse 5 or Cat's Cradle? They are supposed to be good but I haven't managed to find them anywhere yet.

Post 166

Solsbury

Just started Methuselah's Children. Robert A. Heinlein

Post 167

Crescent

Finished Northern Lights, a good romp and an old-fashioned kids book, so dark dark dark. If you liked Potter you will probably like this smiley - smiley Just started Donnerjack by Roger Zelazny and Jane Lindskold. Until later.....
BCNU - Crescent

Post 168

Blat

A popular thing to be reading several books at once...

"The Oxford Book of Twentieth Century Poetry" - it sulks by my bed and when I am not quite tired enough to turn out the light I flick through a couple of poems. Not the best way to read poetry I know but then the book's too big to take on the train.

"The Grail Quest - Harlequin" by Bernard Cornwell. I love historical fiction. This is the one I am reading on the train.

"Captain Correlli's Mandolin" - Can't seem to get into this but it's currently in the downstairs loo next to this month's Readers Digest. It'll probably replace the Cornwell book on the train when I've finished that one.

Post 169

weakpun

Belated reply to the A Scanner Darkly and Kurt Vonnegut things -

Crescent: Great taste! A Scanner Darkly has to be one of Philip K. Dick's best books, I really can't recommend it highly enough. (Also, hurray (again!) for the Culture!)

Ommigosh: Slaughterhouse 5 and Cat's Cradle - both excellent. You should be able to get hold of them in just about any bookshop. If you're in the UK, I've yet to come across a branch of Waterstone's that doesn't stock either or both. Not that I am recommending this purveyor of reading material above any other, you understand, just that I know they tend to have them.

Just finished "Cryptonomicon". Wow.

Post 170

Amy: ear-deep in novels, poetics, and historical documents.

Rereading "Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art" by Madeline L'Engle... I love that book... I always have to stop reading and just converse with myself about the points she makes. smiley - smiley

Post 171

Cardinal Noah (is now back!!!)

on the noo i'm reading 'Faust among equals' by Tom Holt. a very groovy author!

Post 172

Sol

Ooooh. Just finished Northen Lights myself. Great book. Really enjoyed it (are kids fantasy books better than adults? Certainly have less of a tendency to have women in improbably small bits of leather running around. This is a good thing I feel). Anyway, a friend has promised to lend me the next in the series, so I'll be off to pester him today...

Post 173

wheehee! i've read all 3 in that series, i thought they were very good! smiley - biggrin

Post 174

Andy

On a bit of a Mars tip at the moment, so I'm reading Mars by Ben Bova.
I've read Voyage by Stephen Baxter (which was okay) and will probably start on the Kim Stanley Robinson ones next. Are they any good?

Post 175

Solsbury

The Man Who Sold The Moon, Robert Heinlein. A collection of six short stories of his including Life-Lines, Blow Ups Happena dn The Man Who Sold The Moon.
All this heinlein is just a case of putting off starting reading something else smiley - smiley

Post 176

Abi

"(are kids fantasy books better than adults? Certainly have less of a tendency to have women in improbably small bits of leather running around. This is a good thing I feel)"

Absolutely!

Lord of the Rings myself. Can you believe it - I have got to the grand old age of 28 and never read it! smiley - blush

Post 177

you must!!!!!! it's a brilliant book! have you read the Hobbit?

Post 178

threesecondmemory

Is that the same fight club that was made into a film staring brad pitt and edward norton? [scuse my ignorance]

Post 179

smiley - erm are we still talking about Tolkein? smiley - erm

Post 180

threesecondmemory

r u talkin 2 me??

Cos I was referring to fight club by Chuch Palahniuk's.

Key: Complain about this post