A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 101

Metal Chicken

I want to read the Amber Spyglass too but it's not out in paperback yet and I refuse to buy hardbacks. I heard Phillip Pullman talking about the trilogy, religious scepticism, CS Lewis and Milton on the radio this morning. Fascinating interview, I'm even more keen to read it now

Post 102

The Apathetic

Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas - Hunter S. Thompson.

It's the third time of reading now, and certain lines still make me convulse with laughter.

Post 103

DoctorGonzo

Hurrah!

smiley - smiley

Post 104

Ashley

Just finished 'Orpheus Descending' by Tennessee Williams and have started, after a recommendation by abi, 'The Eyre Affair' by Jasper Fforde.

Post 105

Ek* this space intentionally left blank *ki

Well in the last three weeks I've got through:

Our Man in Havana, Harry Potter and the ... Philosophers Stone, Chamber of Secrets, and am just about to finish The Prisoner of Azkaban ... what can i say.

I was sceptical when I started but now I'm addicted!

smiley - bigeyes

Post 106

Andy

Still reading The Amber Spyglass (I don't buy hardbacks either, got it from the library). Can't quite believe how good it is. I even stopped reading last night because I thought my tired state would mean I couldn't devote my attention to it enough. Read Hidden Agendas by John Pilger instead.

Post 107

weakpun

Just bought "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" by Dave Eggers. From what I've read so far, the title's almost appropriate.

Post 108

Ashley

I was reading this book in this thread a while back. It is absolutely fantastic and appropriately titled. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did... smiley - smiley

Post 109

threesecondmemory

Whats White Teeth (Z Smith) like then? I bought it for the missus as a birthday present and I might read it myself seen as she isn't.

Post 110

threesecondmemory

I've just finished sean Hughes - it what he would have wanted. Very enjoyable. Funny in a dark way.

Post 111

weakpun

I liked White Teeth - it's very funny with some great dialogue, but then I'm a bit biased 'cos I went to uni with Zadie. I once loaned her a shirt when she was waitressing at some event at college. She spilled red wine all over it.

Post 112

Andy

Dave Eggers was very candid when he said in the intro that the book goes downhill after page 100. I thought it sort of descended into self conscious ranting.

Post 113

weakpun

Yeah, I'm a bit iffy on the whole self-conscious thing. It can seem a bit too pleased with its own cleverness - but I'm still enjoying it, for all that.

What book are you reading at this time?

Post 114

Spaceechik, Typomancer

I just went down to the Central Library in downtown L.A. and got "The Stones of Florence" by Mary McCarthy. It NOT a new book (I'm catching up on my reading!), but friends are going to Firenze for three weeks and I came across this while seeking a good gift for their trip. Very good so far.

SC smiley - planet

What book are you reading at this time?

Post 115

shrinkwrapped

I appear to be in the process of finishing Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. It is good.

Post 116

Phil (just the one head)

Just finished "Look to Windward"
Still working on "Godel Escher Bach" but getting pretty bogged down.
Rereading The Meme Machine
2/3 through the Elegant Universe but now its just words that are randomly jumbled in so-called sentences and I have no idea what is going on

Post 117

threesecondmemory

Just started Brave New World - Aldous Huxley. Been meaning to read it for years and finally got round to it. Hope it lives up to my expectations.

Post 118

Spaceechik, Typomancer

I just got a book today called "The Broke Diaries" by Angela Nissel. Apparently, these were diary entries she put on her web page (by the same name as the title, wink, wink), and was convinced to publish it. Funny, quirky and uncomfortable thoughts on being broke. Since I am most of the time, thought I'd compare notes.

SC smiley - planet

Post 119

Trinity's Child

Everbody seems to be reading quite hi-brow books. Me I just stick to what I know and at the moment thats.

'The Talisman' By Stephen King and Peter Straub (about the third time i've read it)

And also 'The emperor's new mind' by Robert Penrose (Heavy going lots of maths)

Post 120

Steviebab (Squad No. 8)

Read\reading

Playing the Moldovans At Tennis by Tony Hawks - Good
Experience by Martin Amis - Excellent
Pagan Babies by Elmore Leonard - OK
Full Time by Tony Cascarino with Paul Kimmage - Worth reading

Key: Complain about this post