A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 1501

Ged42

Currently also reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods, definately recomend it to anyone, its kind of an American version of Neverwhere (also an excellent Neil Gaiman book)

Prior to that was re-reading Kim Stanley Robinson's Red Mars smiley - mars, seeing Mars in the sky got me in martian mood again smiley - martiansmile. (mental note look round charity shops for copies of Green Mars and Blue Mars)

Post 1502

Wulfric

To Sail Beyond the Sunset by Robert A Heinlein.

A great book and, I think, his last - although I might be wrong about that.

Post 1503

dasilva

Over my summer break from The Guide (I'm still not back y'know, folks) I've re-read "Monkey," tackled "Shogun," Jasper Fforde #3 and quite a bit else besides (all of a sudden my reading speed more than doubled - I've been a bookworm for years but until this summer always a slow bookworm smiley - erm)

Post 1504

Frogglette, Tree dweller taking over the world

Shock Wave, a Dirk Pitt novel by Clive Cussler and Out of the Fire, forget who by... smiley - smiley

Post 1505

Cat-Eyes: No..... why.... ?

Sho, you ever read the prelude?

There are 2 VOLUMNS of LOTR, but if you read through they are divided into 6 BOOKS and were, by Tolkien, intended as one book, but binding it all together and all in one would make a huge book that would be too hard to cary and read. So, he divided it up. See, not a trilogy smiley - nahnah

Post 1506

Damn, pushed post thing before i was finished and now I have to go!! I'll finish this rant later. smiley - nahnah

Post 1507

I meant 3 VOLUMNS. Sorry.

Post 1508

dasilva

It was a 'suggestion' by the publishers who thought that children couldn't cope with such a big book - Tolkein wasn't happy smiley - winkeye

Post 1509

Coniraya

I shall be starting Umberto Eco's Baudolino tonight. I haven't read any of his books before so thought it was time I did.

Post 1510

PinkyBoodles

In the mood for something a bit classic, I find myself in the middle of both Howard's End and Sense And Sensibility. Just finished a good old Jeeves omnibus, and some terrible trashy novel I got free with a magazine. Never again. I've nothing against trashy novels, as long as they have either a plot, an interesting character, an event...just SOMETHING!

Post 1511

nada

Right after I post this I shall stick my nose into "The Oracle Glass" by Judith Merkle Riley...smiley - book

Post 1512

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

The Critique of Pure Reason by Immanuel Kant for uni smiley - headhurts

When I get a spare moment I'm going to start - "If on a winter's night a traveller" by Italo Calvino. smiley - book

Clive. smiley - smiley

A quick aside: I saw Robert Harris's new book 'Pompei' in the shops the other day...anyone read it or willing to reccomend it? smiley - smiley

Post 1513

Sho - employed again!

Cat-Eyes.

I have read the prelude.

And sure, LOTR can be looked at in loads of different ways: the published trilogy, the 6 books, one volume...

there is a precedent (actually, an antecedent) for having a Trilogy in more than 3 parts though...
smiley - winkeye

And to stay on topic: Still plugging through the Silmarillion (because it's sooooo smiley - zzz) and The Handmaid's Tale. Which is still horribly scary.

Post 1514

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

Pompeii's pretty good - a little different to Harris' other books - a bit less emphasis on the "thriller" side - given that half his readership'll know what happens at the end of the book...
but it's very well done, and I didn't sit there nit-picking his Roman history to shreds (which I do quite regularly for most things that try and be classical... pains of studying ancient history)

Post 1515

Sho - employed again!

Finally finished the Handmaid's Tale.

What a strange ending.

Hmmmmm... at least I didn't cry. I'm proud of myself for that.

What to read now, that's the question

Post 1516

I seriously need to get myself a copy, I can't remember the entire ending smiley - sadface Damn having to study it, I can remember my essay but when I try to remember what happened at the VERY end I end up remembering my stupid essay.

If you're refering to the Guide 5 book trilogy, it's not really PREcedent, what with being written after Tolkien. But anyways, there's no point in continuing this debate.

Anyone know what I can read now? I'm home sick and have nothing to do but go on h2g2 and reply to stuff, and once I'm finished all the replying I can do I'm going to be very bored. Maybe I should do the homework I didn't do last night cause I was exhausted...hmmmmmm

Cat(blackcat)

Post 1517

The Ghost of Polidari

In Cold Blood, Truman Capote.

smiley - ghost

Post 1518

Parker

The Dictionary by Mr Oxford English

Post 1519

Is it interesting, Parker? Personally I could never bring myself to read it, always seemed a bit daunting. People in my grade seem to believe I have, but, no, I haven't.

Post 1520

toybox

Just started Last Chance To See, by U42 and Mark Carwardine.

Key: Complain about this post