A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 1481

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

I'm now reading Cloak of Deception, a Star Wars book it's a prequal to The Phantom Menace

Post 1482

A Super Furry Animal

I've just started "I, Lucifer" by Glen Duncan - the story of Lucifer, being given a second chance by God. Very very funny. smiley - devil

I'd just also like to say what a brilliant ("brill-yunt!") book "Life Of Pi" is.

Post 1483

Jimbob - Got a Favourite Band? Tell Us All About It at A2464355

I'm currently reading 'Chasing Che'. It's about a man following the route the young Che Guevara took around South America. It's pretty good.

After that I'm going to start the biography of Spike Milligan. smiley - smiley

Post 1484

Demon Drawer

I've just finished Number Ten by Sue Townsend. It was an hilarious send up of the curent occuapnts of Whitehall. smiley - winkeye

Post 1485

Baconlefeets

i've just read the bit in 'life the universe and everything' where he has a coctail party in the small of his back.

and i finished Orwell's 1984 a bit back too

Post 1486

Ek* this space intentionally left blank *ki

I Lucifer is fantastic!! smiley - devil

Currently settling in to Tears of the Giraffe, the sequel to Alexander McCall Smith's The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency ... so easy to read and fab to boot ...

Post 1487

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

Just finished 'Stardust' by Niel Gaiman... a fantasticly charming novel about Tristrans journey through Faerie.

smiley - peacedove

Post 1488

Rosemary {[(2+2+2)^2]+4+2=42}

Most of my reading at the moment is for a history project on TE Lawrence (aka Lawrence of Arabia.) but to keep myself sane I'm also reading Foccaults Pendulum by Umberto Eco, boy is it a little wierd, and Dorothy L Sayers, who I'm now addicted too. I'm having a break before I finish all the books that I can lay my hands on!

Post 1489

Asmodai Dark (The Eternal Builder, servant of Howard, Crom, and Beans)

Im currently reading:

The Art Of War by Sun Tzu - which is really strange because sometimes its obvious and sometimes it forces you to think.

The Millers tale by Chaucer - This is for my English, translations a bit tricky but its a really funny story. Involves red hot pokers and bums.

Deamonworld by Ben Courter - Superb book, finished it recently. Difficult to pin down the real plot, but has around five or six sub-plots all revolving around the planet of Torvendis.

Ninetenn eighty-four by George Orwell - Great book and again just finished. Where the world has been divided into three super powers. One is ruled by Big brother, and its from this book that the popular series comes from. Also brought about room 101.

The Handmainds tale my Margeret Atwood - Just finished. Its about a woman who becomes a slave to a zealous christian based dictator ship.

How to paint citadel minatures by various - I paint and wargame a lot so this helps a lot.

The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King By JRR Tolkein - I've seen the trailer and can't wait any longer. If you don't know what its about then hang your head in shame.

just a few books then!

Post 1490

Nitina the Pig (see my new personal space!)

Right now I am reading a book by Malorie Blackman called 'Noughts £ Crosses'. Its really interesting and shows you how a boy and girl, both from different are social classes, in spite of all difficulties, try to stay together.

Before I started this book, I read George Orwell's 'Animal Farm'. Its really really good and worth reading! I loved it.

Post 1491

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

I'm currently reading 'American Gods' by Neil Gaiman... and it's what I've come expect from this author - an excellently crafted tale...

smiley - peacedove

Post 1492

Sho - employed again!

Asmodai... I've had the Handmaid's Tale for a wihle, but I haven't wanted to read it because I'm a softie and everyone says it will make me cry.

Finally I picked it up, read the first 6 chapters, and now I'm hooked. It's horribly scary, worse even than 1984 - right from the beginning it's obvious that it's not a merry book. I can't put it down, and I know it's going to make me smiley - wah

eek!

I'm also - still - plugging through The Silmarillion. I hate it. The stories are fab (if it had all been written like the tale of Beren and Luthien it wouldn't have been so bad). Ho hum. I think if I finish it (again) and this time go right back and start from the beginning (like I keep meaning to) it might be better. Of course, I know I'll chicken and pick up The Fellowship of the Ring again, to get myself ready for the next film.

Enemy of God was fab, I'm now looking for Excalibur the third of the trilogy by Bernard Cornwell.

Post 1493

nada

A couple odd vampire books...I don't remember what they're called, but you know the type I'm sure...
The Robber's Bride (Atwood)
Inside the outside...or something resembling that...by Silverberg(I always forget titles!)
More Vonnegut...
and some happy sappy mysteries...
ep, can't trmrmber more now, shall return later!

Post 1494

Athena, Muse of Philosophy -1+7+9*(3+0!)+0=42

Oh, Vonnegut, always good! smiley - smiley

Well, well. I just started Pride and Prejudice, so far very much not my thing.

Planning to read the Silmarillion agian, now that's my thing!

And if I hadn't just had my second copy of the Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide stolen I would read Mostly Harmless agian. Those books are just too popular!!! smiley - winkeye

smiley - cheers
Athena

Post 1495

Researcher 249779

Just finished Salmon of Doubt. It led me to h2g2. I miss D.N.A.
got a little misty. Maybe I'll go read Gary Zukov.

Post 1496

Cat-Eyes: No..... why.... ?

I'm re-reading the Lord of the Rings books (it's not a trilogy and I'll rant a lot if any says it is) cause last time I read them I was 11 (I'm 14 now, just) and I've not only completely forgotten half of it, it's so hard to read Tolkien in some bits, I only really skim-read Return of the King and since the movie's coming out I want to be able to remember it, since all of my friends alreayd know I've read the book and I'm trying not to look like an idiot smiley - smiley

The Handmaid's Tale, is that the one where she's a...damn, lost the word...she wears red and has wings over her face when she leaves the house and I'll try not to give away the rest of it, but everything's big in religion and status? And in the house there are Marthas and they wear green and the Wife and she wears blue? .

If it is that book, my English teacher gave that to me to read this year (I'm in year 8) to compare to another book we read (The Giver by Lois Lowry). Apparently the Handmaid's Tale used to be a year 12 text smiley - bigeyes

Anyways, back to the point, it didn't make me cry smiley - nahnah

Ok, I'm bored, now maybe I should bo back to Tolkien...maybe not.

Catsmiley - blackcat

Post 1497

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

It did used to be... I did my A-level coursework on the Handmaid's Tale.
very good book
so good that I actually still enjoy it!

Post 1498

Cat-Eyes: No..... why.... ?

I wanna get a copy of it, cause I used my teacher's when I read it.

Anyway, back to the point, seeing as no one else has said a book they're reading and I already said mine, I'm going to advise people to read John Marsden just cause he rocks. Especially the Tomorrow series, it's brilliant. It's about some country invading Australia.

Catsmiley - cat

Post 1499

Sho - employed again!

Maybe if you were a mother you'd find the Handmaid's Tale more depressing, I don't know.

Beautifully written, but very depressing.

And, LOTR... it *IS* a trilogy smiley - nahnah (I even have an ancient version in 3 books to prove it

Still reading the Silmarillion, do we have a smiley - yawn smiley?smiley - winkeye (it seems we do)

Post 1500

Serephina

I'm currently reading volumes 1-3 of Clive Barker's Books Of Blood smiley - monster

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more