A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 3581

A Super Furry Animal

Hmm.

There's not very much to "Talk To The Hand", is there? Ripped through that one...now I don't have a book to read. smiley - wah

I do have a cookbook I got for Christmas, "Cooking Under The Influence"...not terribly handy for the train though.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 3582

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

Another of Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin books: Treason's Harbour. They're addictive.

Post 3583

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

Currently thoroughly enjoying Anne perry's 'Long Spoon Lane', which is not only a marvelously observed portrait of Victorian morals an mores, but also contains some fascinating insights into the threat of the Fennians and European anarchists to Victorian Society and they way it was met.

smiley - shark

Post 3584

azahar

Since I am *still* waiting for the Neil Gaiman and Lindsey Davis books I ordered to come in, today I picked up Another Bullshit Night in Suck City by Nick Flynn, which looks interesting . . .

az

Post 3585

invisibleknight

read last night for the 4th time,

Incompetence By Rob Grant (Of Red Dwarf fame)

Well worth a read, it's pretty good.

Post 3586

Sho - employed again!

I love 1984 - it's a really meaty read if you read all of it, and if you skim the "boring" pats it's still a cracking story.

There is one tiny throwaway (almost) line in it which always chokes me up. (if you're interested, ask me when you've finished smiley - winkeye)

I'm now reading another Louis L'Amour - The Cherokee Trail. Feisty Southern lady takes over the running of a stagecoach station, with her daugher, Irish girl helper and an orphan boy. Cue bad guys, Cherokee braves, bad guys, egnimatic gunman (good) and more bad guys. Fantastic.

And for work The Five Disfunctions of a Team by Patrick Lencioni. (who is, apparently, the author of The Five Temptations of a CEO). it contains nothing I don't already know about how the managers where I work (dis)function - and confirms that my team works "properly" despite the aforementioned managers best efforts. smiley - erm

Post 3587

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

I am reading the third book in the Deathstalker series by Simon R Green, having failed to find thesecond. It's funny, and cool and very addictive.

My book for work and buses, is Waylander II by David Gemmell, as I've already said - smiley - magic

I've just read 'The Last Hero' by Terry Pratchett, what a disappointment! Mean-spirited, derivative, and it seems like he's ripping himself off! I'm glad I didn't *buy* it!

Post 3588

Keith Miller yes that Keith Miller

Tis good to see Waylander being read, so one would assume you have read the Jon Shannow novels as well.(Isn't he a 'Moral' man?)
As for myself, I'm reading 'The Sentimental Bloke' by C.J.Dennis, its a book I doubt too many people (here) have read, being poetry from an age now long gone. Plus I might point out in a Patois which many if not most in Australia would find hard, let alone Blighty types.

Post 3589

Elentari

Finally finished Stasiland, about to start Pride and Prejudice.

Post 3590

Ménalque

Just completed the Great Gatsby by FS Fitzgerald, hence the new name.

Also, finished Don Juan, and considering reading Childe Harold's Pilgrimage.

the eyes of Dr. TJ Eckleblub

Post 3591

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

I've read only one of the Jon Shannow novels, Keith, because I read Gemmell as I am able, in other words, whenever I can get hold of one! Good and weird, which I love.

I confess I've never heard of Dennis, but being next door, in NZ, I'll check it out...

Post 3592

I enjoyed Stasiland. And it's a truth universally acknowledged that P&P is one of the greatest novels ever.

The Great Gatsby - my favourite quote, which I often use myself is 'I'll be the man smoking two cigarettes.'

Myself...I left my Patrick O'Brian in a barber's yesterday, so last night I picked up Voltaire's 'General History.' It's rather good! It's interesting to see what history looked like back then. I stole the book from a pub. I doubt they'll notice or even care. It was one of those places decorated by books bought by the yard from Hay-on-Wye.

Post 3593

Favourite quote: 'England is a nation which is destined to be ruled by foreigners.' smiley - smiley

Post 3594

Ågen†™

I'm still ploughing through Iain M Banks' The Algebraist - it's getting better!

One of my friends just had his first book published, so I'll need to read that in double quick time! It's called Cloud World, and is a sci-fi book aimed primarily at teenagers - my g/f read one of his first drafts and loved it.

Post 3595

pedro

Re-reading Banks' Against a Dark Background at the mo. Vintage stuff; great dialogue, marvellously twisty plot full of real drama, vivid characters and that sense of the absurd that makes him so readable.

Post 3596

A Super Furry Animal

Both top Iain M Banks books!

Much as I like The Culture, I think his beast SF has actually been in his non-Culture novels.

About to embark on Ian McEwan's "Saturday".

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 3597

pedro

Beg to differ there, RF. I'd say Consider Phlebas and Use of Weapons are his best (SF anyway). Although they were the first ones I read, which might have something to do with it. What did you have in mind?

Post 3598

A Super Furry Animal

Well, er, without repeating above posters *too* much: Against A Dark Background and The Algebraist spring to mind! I also liked Feersum Endjinn.

Of the Culture novels, I like The Player Of Games best.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 3599

pedro

RF, FE was BS! You heretic! It's one of the few books I've got in hardback as well, just couldn't wait for it to come out in paperback, and I was *so* disappointed. Other readers may note I also bought 'The Cold Six Thousand' by James Ellroy, in hardback too. It's pish. Not a patch on American Tabloid, which was its predecessor.

Post 3600

A Super Furry Animal

I realise that Feersum Endjinn does not enjoy the high reputation, even amongst aficionados of Ian M. Banks, as his other works.

Sod it. I still like it.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Key: Complain about this post