A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 3601

Beatrice

Just finished Nick Hornby's "A Long Way Down"

Blimey it takes me months to get through a book! Must try harder...

Thoroughly enjoyed it, especially Martin's rationale for why everyone should have an ex-wife smiley - laugh

Post 3602

Researcher 188007

Finished The Prisoner of Zenda. Hmmm, 6/10. Choked a bit on the convoluted sentences, but there's a good plot in there as well.

Post 3603

invisibleknight

Please don't think of these as childrens books. Despite the fact that I read these from age 8 to age 11, I actively saught them out as an adult, bought them, re-read them and still got as much pleasure if not more.

Fattypuffs & Thinifers - Andre Maurois. In a world obsessed with body image this book is more relevant today than it has ever been.
My Friend Mr Leakey - J.B.S. Haldane. This chap was a scientist and only ever wrote 1 childrens book, and it's a wonderful world of magicians and djinns.
Uncle, Uncle and his detective, Uncle cleans up, Uncle and the treacle trouble, Uncle and the battle for badgertown, Uncle and claudius the camel - J.P.Martin. These books are now so hard to find, I had to use all my web searching skills to find the 1st 3. These are an excellent series that children and adults alike will enjoy.

Post 3604

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

>>'The Cold Six Thousand' by James Ellroy, in hardback too. It's pish. Not a patch on American Tabloid, which was its predecessor.

That mas my conclusion, too - after waiting ages for it to come out in paperback. But I loved American Tabloid...even though most of the time I only had a vague idea what was going on.

Post 3605

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

So called 'childrens' books' can be of great value sometimes. The best one I've read recently, is 'A Wrinkle In Time', by Madeleine L'Engle, who wrote fantastic science fiction for, probably, 10-15 year olds. smiley - magic

I've finished Waylander II and have three books on the go:
Merlin, Stephen Lawhead
Deathstakler's War by Sion L Green and The Stone Fields by Courtney Angela Brkic, the only non-fiction, which is about her work in Bosnia as an anthropologist.

Post 3606

Keith Miller yes that Keith Miller

A conversation from another thread has got me rereading Robert Sheckley's 'The Alchemical Marriage of Alistair Crompton'. One can indeed see where Adams perhaps garnered some of his witticisms from. A very funny book indeed.

Post 3607

Spaceechik, Typomancer

"Raptor Red", by Robert T. Bakker.

It's about a girl and a boy, about 130 million years ago. smiley - smiley

I love this book!

SC

Post 3608

Robert Sheckley:

(from Wikipedia)
"His novel Dimension of Miracles is often cited as an influence on Douglas Adams, although in an interview for Neil Gaiman's book Don't Panic: The Official Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Companion, Adams claimed not to have read it until after writing The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy."

It reminds me of David Lodge's 'Small World' in which one of the characters is researching a thesis on the influence of TS Eliot on Shakespearsmiley - winkeye

Post 3609

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

Oh and of course Adams was daft enough to say yes to the question if it was true? Frankly, it bears no resemblance whatever to TS Eliots influence on Shakespeare.

Though of course one would allow DNA might be telling the trurth about that one volume of Sheckley's output.

smiley - shark

Post 3610

Easy now...I was only having a giggle, not being familiar with Sheckley (so looking him up).

It's often an interesting question, though, of who's influencing who. It's quite possible that two unrelated authors might have been influenced by the same sources. I'd have thought that Beachcomber *must* have been an influence - but I have no way of knowing.

Post 3611

Jim Lynn

Interestingly, Douglas tried to get Robert Sheckley to write the novelisation of Starship Titanic, but it didn't work out in the end.

Post 3612

A Super Furry Animal

I recently read The Earthsea Quartet by Ursula Le Guin*.

Is this a children's book? Or a work of fantasy for all ages? Or what?

Currently reading Ian McEwan's Saturday. Good so far...

RFsmiley - evilgrin

* sometimes Ursula K. Le Guin...to distinguish her from all the *other* Ursula Le Guins who are published authors, presumably? smiley - winkeye

Post 3613

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

>I recently read The Earthsea Quartet by Ursula Le Guin*.

Is this a children's book? Or a work of fantasy for all ages? Or what?<

Why? Would the classification make any difference to how you read the book?

smiley - shark

Post 3614

Ursula Le Guin...an interesting one. She definitely falls into the category of 'litratcha'. I think she's one of the few SF writers who'll continue to be read when others are past their sell-by date. I'd put Bradbury and Dick in the same category. (By the way...I know I'm being provocative here).

Oddly enough, I've just bought Saturday from Oxfam, and it's next on my list.

Same Oxfam trip, I bought 'A Cook's Tour' by Anthony Bourdain - a chef visiting various countries and eating the kind of food he likes. A book for foodies. Quite enjoyable, for all that he's a bit of a macho d**k. Light reading, obviously.

Post 3615

Ebarchery

Just finished reading Stephen King's The Shining. Pretty good although must confess I don't normally like the swaggering American style in such works.

This morning I started on Jonothan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke and think I'm going to love it. Anyone else read this?

Theoretically I'm also still reading Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco but I confess to have stalled about 30 pages from the end a few months ago and the book just sits on the shelf taunting me now. It's a battle of wills which will no doubt end in me either picking it up and skimming through the rest or just biting the bullet and dropping it into the nearest Oxfam for someone else to experience the punishment. smiley - erm

Post 3616

invisibleknight

Only Forward - Micheal Marshall Smith. for the 3rd time. it's really, really good. please buy it, sci-fi fans will like it.

Post 3617

A Super Furry Animal

>> Why? Would the classification make any difference to how you read the book? <<

Well, it doesn't really...just wondering whether other people classified it with HP, Narnia et al, and whether these are really "children's" books or not.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 3618

Trin Tragula

I think Le Guin thought of the Earthsea Books as definitely aimed at a younger audience than Left-Hand of Darkness etc.

Though that doesn't mean they belong with HP etc.

Largely because they're by Le Guin.

smiley - run

Post 3619

Keith Miller yes that Keith Miller

She's recently released a new volume of *Earthsea* writings.

*Note to self:- Purchase new LeGuin book.smiley - erm

Post 3620

Researcher 188007

Next in line: 'Death in Venice' by Thomas Mann. Seriously insular, repressed fiftysomething bloke falls in love / becomes obsessed with blond teenager in and around Venice. And well, I think you can guess the ending. It's probably the best example I can think of of a book informing the film, and I did get some things out of it, but it was also turgid and unremarkable: 4/10 and a slap in the face with a smiley - hsif

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more