The Ultimate DreamWorks Animated Film Guide: 1998-2004 Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

The Ultimate DreamWorks Animated Film Guide: 1998-2004

0 Conversations

The Ultimate DreamWorks Animated Film Guide
1998-2004 | 2005-2009 | 2010-2014

DreamWorks Animation is one of the world's most successful animated film studios. It began in 1994 as a division of DreamWorks SKG, a studio that not only made live-action films but also intended from the outset to challenge Disney's dominance of the animated film market. This goal has been achieved through the adoption of a loveable ogre as well as an early collaboration with British animated film studio Aardman.

Founders

DreamWorks SKG was founded in 1994 by three media moguls, Steven Spielberg, Jeffrey Katzenberg and David Geffen.

Spielberg

Perhaps the most famous American film director of the late 20th and early 21st Century, Steven Spielberg had had extensive animation experience. In the 1980s he had produced Don Bluth Studios' An American Tail (1986) and The Land Before Time (1988), both of which beat Disney films in the box office, before working with Disney on Who Framed Roger Rabbit. In the early 1990s Spielberg founded his own animation studio, Amblimation, which made An American Tail: Fievel Goes West (1991) and We're Back: A Dinosaur's Story (1993).

Katzenberg

In 1984 Jeffrey Katzenberg had been the Chairman of Film Production for Walt Disney. He successfully revived their animation department. Having recently made flops like The Black Cauldron (1985), with Katzenberg's influence Disney made an unprecedented string of successes. These included Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988), The Little Mermaid (1989), Beauty and the Beast (1991), Aladdin (1992) and The Lion King (1994). He had also promoted the partnership with Pixar.

In 1994 Katzenberg felt overlooked when he was not promoted following the death of Disney's President Frank Wells. He instigated the creation of a whole new studio on the understanding that he would particularly oversee the animation department.

Geffen

A media mogul with his own rags to riches story, David Geffen founded Asylum Records in 1971, discovering acts including The Eagles, and sold the company to Warner Brothers one year later for $7 million. In 1980 he formed Geffen Records, signing acts including John Lennon, Elton John and Guns 'n' Roses, selling it in 1989 for $550 million. He also founded Geffen Film Company.

Creation of the Animation Department

Having created their own film studio, DreamWorks SKG, and announced the intention to create animated films, DreamWorks needed to recruit talented animators. DreamWorks intended from the very beginning to release films in all three forms of animation: stop-motion, cel and computer-generated.

Stop-Motion Animation

In 1996 Aardman's script for their first film, Chicken Run, was finalised. After tough negotiations, Pathé and DreamWorks beat 20th Century Fox and Warner Brothers to gain the rights to invest in the film. Pathé distributed the film in Europe while DreamWorks handled distribution across the rest of the world. Though this was the first animated film DreamWorks were involved with, as stop-motion is the slowest form of animation it became the fourth they released.

Cel Animation

DreamWorks quickly gained an experienced cel animation department, responsible for hand-drawn or traditional animation. Spielberg's Amblimation animation studio had been closed down following Balto (1995), a cel-animated film about a dog, which had a disappointing performance at the box office when it was released at the same time as Pixar's Toy Story. Most of the animators were re-hired by DreamWorks.

Computer Animation

The newest branch of animation is Computer Animation, also called CGI or computer-generated imagery. After the tremendous success of Pixar's Toy Story (1995), it was inevitable that DreamWorks would be interested in this also. As they had done with stop-motion and cel animation, DreamWorks looked for an established animation studio active in this field. They chose Pacific Data Images (PDI), a company founded in 1980 and mainly involved in adverts and film effects. PDI had long held ambitions to make a feature-length film. In 1995 DreamWorks purchased 40% of PDI and hired them to make their first computer animated film, Antz, credited to DreamWorks/PDI. In 2000, between the release of Antz and Shrek, PDI founder Carl Rosendahl sold his remaining 50% share of PDI to DreamWorks. DreamWorks/PDI then simply became DreamWorks Animation's CGI division, based in North California.

Rivals

The mid-1990s was a time full of promise for Hollywood animation. Disney had shown how successful animation could be with films such as Aladdin and The Lion King. Pixar had met with considerable success with Toy Story. Thus many Hollywood studios decided to cash in on the act. Warner Brothers formed Warner Brothers Feature Animation and released Space Jam (1996), Quest for Camelot (1998), The Iron Giant (1999), Osmosis Jones (2001) and Looney Tunes: Back in Action (2003). All these films flopped with only Space Jam making a profit. Turner Feature Animation made Cats Don't Dance (1997) which also flopped.

Twentieth Century Fox had mixed success. At first they hired Don Bluth, the animator behind The Secret of NIMH (1982), An American Tail (1986) and The Land Before Time (1988) to head their newly founded Fox Animation Studios. Only two films were made; the successful Anastasia (1997) and the flop Titan AE (2000) before the studio closed. Also in 1997 Fox purchased computer animation company Blue Sky Studios, which since 2002 has continued to release CGI films, particularly the Ice Age series, enjoying steady success.

The other animation studio that succeeded in this period was Nickelodeon, which is part of the Viacom organisation. Nickelodeon successfully specialised in making films such as The Rugrats Movie based on their established cartoon characters, with much smaller budgets than the other Hollywood studios.

The First Films

Below are listed DreamWorks' first nine films and the only feature-length direct-to-video animation. The list includes a brief look at each one.

1. Antz (1998)

DirectorsEric Darnell & Tim Johnson
PlotWorker ant Z struggles to find his place in his colony while falling in love with Princess Bala. General Mandible, however, has other plans for the ants...
Length83 minutes
Animation TypeCGI
SettingAn ant hill in New York's Central Park
Characters
  • Z (Woody Allen)
  • Princess Bala (Sharon Stone)
  • General Mandible (Gene Hackman)
  • Weaver (Sylvester Stallone)
  • Colonel Cutter (Christopher Walken)
  • Barbatus (Danny Glover)
  • Queen (Anne Bancroft)
  • Azteca (Jennifer Lopez)
  • Muffy (Jane Curtin)
  • Chip (Dan Aykroyd)
  • Grebs (John Mahoney)
Music
  • 'I Can See Clearly Now' by Johnny Nash
  • 'High Hopes' by Sammy Cahn & Jimmy Van Heusen
  • 'Almost Like Being in Love' by Alan Jay Lerner & Frederick Loewe
  • 'Give Peace a Chance' by John Lennon
  • 'Guantanamera' by Pete Seeger, Julian Orbon, José Fernández Díaz & José Martí

Antz was the world's second computer-animated film, after Toy Story, yet its release was overlooked by controversy. Before co-founding DreamWorks, Katzenberg had liaised with Pixar as part of his role at Disney and had been aware that Pixar were making a film about ants under the working title 'Bugs'. Pixar were taking their time over the details when creating this film as they were hoping to establish a reputation for quality. After DreamWorks announced their intention to release what was expected to be their first animated film, The Prince of Egypt, Disney announced plans to release their films at the same time, with the alleged intention of burying The Prince of Egypt at the box office.

DreamWorks responded by rushing Antz into production, quickly making it their first animated film and releasing it in cinemas before Pixar's film, now retitled A Bug's Life (1998), was finished. Both films involve a unique ant who refuses to be a thoughtless clone, falls in love with a princess and saves the day and his colony. Though Antz was the first film out, DreamWorks' reputation was tarnished as they were perceived as being a studio of copycats. A Bug's Life was by far the more successful film.

Unusually, Antz was aimed at an older audience and had a much darker theme, containing more sexual innuendo and references than you would expect in an animated film1. This resulted in it receiving a PG classification, reducing its potential audience. It does have a very impressive cast, with Woody Allen making a surprisingly successful animated ant.

2. The Prince of Egypt (1998)

DirectorSimon Wells, Brenda Chapman & Steve Hickner
PlotHaving survived the genocide of Hebrew boys as a baby, Moses is raised as a prince of Egypt and brother to the heir to the throne, Ramesses. Moses is unaware of his true heritage until chance encounters with two Hebrew women, Tzipporah and his sister Miriam, result in a voyage of discovery in which he finds his true family, faith and people. He then returns to Egypt to demand that Ramesses, now Pharaoh, sets free all Hebrew slaves.
Length99 minutes
Animation TypeCel
SettingEgypt, circa 1400 BC
Characters
  • Moses (Val Kilmer)
  • Ramesses (Ralph Fiennes)
  • Seti (Patrick Stewart)
  • Tzipporah (Michelle Pfeiffer)
  • Miriam (Sandra Bullock/Eden Riegel)
  • Aaron (Jeff Goldblum)
  • The Queen2 (Helen Mirren)
  • Jethro (Danny Glover)
  • Hotep (Steve Martin)
  • Huy (Martin Short)
  • Ramesses' son (Bobby Motown)
  • Yocheved (Ofra Haza)
InspirationThe Book of Exodus
MusicMusic and Lyrics by Stephen Schwartz
  • 'Deliver Us'
  • 'All I Ever Wanted'
  • 'River Lullaby'
  • 'Through Heaven's Eyes'
  • 'Playing with the Big Boys'
  • 'The Plagues'
  • 'When You Believe'3
PrequelJoseph: King of Dreams (2000)
OscarBest Original Song: 'When You Believe'

The first traditional animated film that DreamWorks put into production, originally intended to be the first animated film they released, was The Prince of Egypt. This was a much stronger film than Antz, with time taken over making it and it entered cinemas only two months later than Antz.

The film is directed with style by lead director Simon Wells, great-grandson of HG Wells and the experienced director of Amblimation films An American Tail: Fievel Goes West, We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story and Balto. There are some truly spectacular scenes set in Ancient Egypt, shown in all its glory at the height of its power. Many of the filmmakers travelled to Egypt to research the look of the film.

The film is perhaps the closest to the traditional Disney animated musical style, only adapting a Biblical epic rather than a fairy tale. It is also rather refreshing to see that the first DreamWorks animated film to feature humans does not feature any Caucasian characters.

The film was a success and was briefly the most successful non-Disney animated film until being superseded by Chicken Run in 2000. It was the highest grossing non-Disney cel-animated film for almost a decade, until the release of The Simpsons Movie in 2007.

Joseph: King of Dreams (2000)

DirectorsRob LaDuca & Robert C Ramirez
PlotJoseph, firstborn son of Jacob's favourite wife Rachel, is sold into slavery by his jealous brothers
Length75 minutes
Animation TypeCel
SettingAncient Canaan and Egypt circa 1650 BC
Characters
  • Joseph (Ben Affleck)
  • Judah, Joseph's half-brother (Mark Hamill)
  • Jacob, Joseph's father (Richard Herd)
  • Rachel, Joseph's mother (Maureen McGovern)
  • Asentath, Joseph's wife (Jodi Benson)
  • Zuleika, Potiphar's wife (Judith Light)
  • Potiphar, Joseph's owner (James Eckhouse)
  • Pharaoh (Richard McGonagle)
  • Butler (René Auberjonois)
  • Baker4 (Ken Campbell)
  • Simeon, Joseph's half-brother (Steven Webber)
  • Issachar, Joseph's half-brother (Jess Harnell)
  • Benjamin, Joseph's brother (Matt Levin)
InspirationThe Bible, Genesis 37
MusicMusic and lyrics by John Bucchino:
  • 'Miracle Child'
  • 'Bloom'
  • 'Marketplace'
  • 'Whatever Road's at Your Feet'
  • 'Better Than I'
  • 'More than You Take'

The Prince of Egypt was so successful it led to a direct-to-video prequel, Joseph: King of Dreams. This was perhaps an odd choice. Although direct-to-video animations had been something of a novelty when Disney's Return of Jafar was released in 1994, by the 21st Century this had definitely worn off and such films had acquired a public perception of being inferior to proper, cinema-released films. This film did nothing to dispel that perception. The story of Joseph was also an odd one to adapt into a musical considering the overwhelming success of Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber's Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Simply put, the film is not in the same league.

There is not anything particularly wrong with Joseph: King of Dreams, but there is nothing that stands out about it either. The characters are all a bit bland, with nothing to distinguish between any of Joseph's brothers. Joseph gets married, but there's no character development or romance; one second he's seen playing with Potiphar's niece's pussy, the next they have two children5. The famous multi-coloured coat is a real disappointment, being blue with a bit of gold lining. The songs are fairly forgettable and after the excitement of Prince of Egypt's plagues and Red Sea parting, King of Dreams' plot revolving around storing grain for use during a drought isn't quite as captivating. That said, Joseph's dreams themselves have a surreal, van Gogh-like quality which is remarkably effective.

For a Biblical adaptation whose target audience would be people who are aware of the story in the Bible, there are a few very strange changes. For instance, Joseph's eldest brother is said to be Judah and not Reuben as the Biblical story states. What the filmmakers hoped to gain from this is unclear.

There had been plans to continue making more direct-to-video Biblical features, however Joseph: King of Dreams was not as successful as had been hoped and is the only feature-length direct-to-video film they have made to date6.

3. The Road to El Dorado (2000)

DirectorsDon Paul & Eric Bergeron
SettingSpain and New World, 1519
PlotMiguel and Tulio are two con artists who, after finding a map to the legendary city of gold, El Dorado, flee from ruthless conquistador Cortés with his horse, Altivo, and find the legendary city. There they are mistaken for gods and become embroiled in the rivalry between El Dorado's Chief and High Priest while they plan to flee with the city's gold, accompanied by Chel, an attractive local who is the only one to realise their true nature.
Length89 minutes
Animation TypeCel
Characters
  • Tulio, a con artist (Kevin Kline)
  • Miguel, a con artist (Kenneth Branagh)
  • Chel, a native of El Dorado who wishes to leave (Rosie Perez)
  • Tzekel-Kan, high priest (Armand Assante)
  • Chief Tannabok (Edward James Olmos)
  • Cortés (Jim Cummings)
  • Altivo, a horse (Frank Welker)
MusicSoundtrack: Hans Zimmer. Songs: lyrics by Tim Rice with music by Elton John unless stated.
  • 'El Dorado'
  • 'The Trail We Blaze'
  • 'It's Tough to Be a God'
  • 'Without Question'
  • 'Friends Never Say Goodbye'
  • 'Someday Out of the Blue (Theme From El Dorado)' written by Elton John, Tim Rice and Patrick Leonard
  • 'Without Question' written by Patrick Leonard

The Road to El Dorado was not a bad film, it just was not a new one. In the 1990s a group of films were made to celebrate the 500th anniversary of America's discovery by Christopher Columbus in 14927. The Road to El Dorado is another film in that genre, with the familiar plot line of Europeans travelling to the New World in search of gold. The baddy, in this case Cortés, wears the obligatory cape as baddies in these films always do. Witch doctor? Tick. Young, Native American girl who wears a skimpy outfit? Tick. Animal sidekick? Tick. Catchy tunes? Tick. The film ticks all the boxes, but these boxes had already been ticked several times before.

The Road to El Dorado was released around the same time as Disney's The Emperor's New Groove, which was also set in ancient Peru. The following Disney film, Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001), had a similar plot in which European travellers set out to find and exploit a long lost mythical empire. Perhaps because of this, DreamWorks' film failed at the box office.

There are reports that early in the storyboard process it was planned to make the two lead characters the first openly gay couple in a mainstream child-friendly animated film. This positive step would at the very least have been something new, and would have given the film a reason to be remembered. Kevin Kline and Kenneth Branagh do share a chemistry envied by any other screen couple. Unfortunately the finished film has tamed a lot of this down, although the heroes do still give each other smouldering glances and share a hot tub nude.

4. Chicken Run (2000)

A co-production with Aardman Animations.

DirectorsPeter Lord &  Nick Park
PlotThe Tweedys own a Yorkshire egg farm and keep chickens. Around the time that the Tweedys decide to stop collecting eggs and instead make their chickens into pies, a rooster named Rocky arrives over the fence. Despite his broken wing, he promises to teach all the chickens how to fly.
Length84 minutes
SettingA Yorkshire egg farm.
Animation TypeStop-motion
Characters
  • Ginger, a chicken (Julia Sawalha)
  • Rocky Rhodes, a Rhode Island Red rooster (Mel Gibson)
  • Fowler, a cockerel (Benjamin Whitrow)
  • Babs, a chicken (Jane Horrocks)
  • Bunty, a chicken (Imelda Staunton)
  • Mac, a chicken (Lynn Ferguson)
  • Mrs Tweedy, an ambitious farmer's wife (Miranda Richardson)
  • Mr Tweedy, a hen-pecked husband (Tony Haygarth)
  • Nick, a rat spiv (Timothy Spall)
  • Fletcher, a rat (Phil Daniels)
Music
  • 'Flip Flop and Fly' by Charles F Calhoun
  • 'The Wanderer' by Ernie Maresca

This British animated film about chickens became a huge box office hit. It remains the most successful stop-motion film of all time and on its release was the world's most successful non-Disney animated film then made. It was also the first animated DreamWorks film to have a female lead and predominantly female cast.

For more information, see The Ultimate Aardman Animated Film Guide.

5. Shrek (2001)

Characters and actors in Bold appear in other DreamWorks films.

DirectorsAndrew Adamson & Vicky Jenson
PlotShrek is an ogre happy living in solitude until his swamp unwittingly becomes the refuge for fairy-tale characters after he rescues a talking donkey. Hoping to regain his peace and quiet, Shrek agrees to rescue a princess for Lord Farquaad. Farquaad wishes to marry her in order to become a king, but she is in a tower guarded by a fearsome dragon.
Length90 minutes
Animation TypeCGI
SettingFairy tale land of Duloc
Characters
  • Shrek, an ogre (Mike Myers)
  • Donkey (Eddie Murphy)
  • Princess Fiona (Cameron Diaz)
  • Lord Farquaad (John Lithgow)
  • Gingerbread Man (Conrad Vernon)
  • Magic Mirror (Chris Miller)
  • Robin Hood (Vincent Cassel)
  • Pinocchio (Cody Cameron)
  • Big Bad Wolf (Aron Warner)
InspirationShrek! (1990) by William Steig
Music
  • 'All Star' by Greg Camp
  • 'Bad Reputation' by Joan Jett, Kenny Laguna, Ritchie Cordell & Marty Kupersmith
  • 'Best Years Of Our Lives' by David Jaymes & Geoffrey Deane
  • 'Escape (The Piña Colada Song)' by Rupert Holmes
  • 'Friends' by Mark Klingman & Buzzy Linhart
  • 'Hallelujah' by Leonard Cohen
  • 'I'm a Believer' by Neil Diamond
  • 'I'm on My Way' by Charlie & Craig Reid
  • 'It Is You (I Have Loved)' by Harry Gregson-Williams, John Powell, Gavin Greenaway & Dana Glover
  • 'Like Wow!' by James Harry & Sandra St Victor
  • 'Meditation' by Antonio Carlos Jobim, Norman Gimbel & Newton Mendonca
  • 'Merry Men' by Kirby Tepper, Andrew Adamson & Conrad Vernon
  • 'On the Road Again' by Willie Nelson
  • 'Stay Home' by Matt Mahaffey
  • 'Try a Little Tenderness' by Harry Woods, Jimmy Campbell & Reg Connelly
  • 'Welcome to Duloc' Music by Mike Himelstein, Lyrics by Eric Darnell
  • 'You Belong to Me' by Pee Wee King, Redd Stewart and Chilton Price
Sequels
  • 8. Shrek 2 (2004)
  • 14. Shrek the Third (2007)
  • 20. Shrek Forever After (2010)
  • 23. Puss in Boots (2011)
  • Shrek in the Swamp Karaoke Dance Party (2001) - musical short film
  • Shrek 4-D (2003) - theme park attraction
  • Far Far Away Idol (2004) - musical short film
  • Shrek the Halls (2007) - Christmas short film
  • Donkey's Carolling Christmas Shrek-tacular (2010) - musical short
  • Scared Shrekless (2011) - Halloween anthology
  • Shrek's Thrilling Tales (2011) - Halloween anthology
OscarBest Animated Film

Shrek is the film in which DreamWorks found its own identity and created something incredible. It even managed to beat Pixar at its own game, despite rumours that it was once again a rip off of a forthcoming Pixar film, in this case Monsters Inc. Both films featured lovable monsters, yet it was Shrek that won the Best Animated Film Oscar.

The character Shrek was named after the German and Yiddish word 'Schreck', meaning 'fear'. The original actor chosen to voice Shrek, even influencing Shrek's appearance, was Chris Farley. After he died in 1997 following a drug overdose, Mike Myers provided the voice. After initially recording all his lines, Myers felt that something was missing. He then asked if he could re-record his vocal using a 'Scottish' accent, which was accepted. Katzenberg later revealed that because lip-synchronisation had already taken place, all the scenes featuring Shrek talking had to be redone, costing the studio an extra $4 million, but it was truly worth the cost.

The film's beginning, in which a fairy tale book is ripped to pieces to make toilet paper, spoofs Disney's classic fairy tale introductions. Characters such as Pinocchio and Tinker Bell cameo, many lines of dialogue refer to Disney fairy tales, and Duloc is clearly inspired by Disneyland, complete with 'It's A Small World After All' spoof. Yet not just content with spoofing previous films, it has influenced every Disney film since. The film overturns the beauty and beast message - here the ogre marries the beast, not the 'beauty', and they live happily ever after. The traditional idea of a kiss being all it takes to fall in love with someone is also dismissed. Since Shrek, no Disney fairy tale film has had a princess in as simplified a relationship as those seen previously.

In a revolutionary move, Shrek included classic pop music into the film and ended the story with a feel good party rather than a typical happily-ever-after ending. On its release it was the best-selling DVD of all time, a record it has held to date.

6. Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron (2002)

DirectorsKelly Asury & Lorna Cook
PlotA young horse is separated from his herd and encounters various animals, people, waterfalls and trains on his journey back home.
Length83 minutes
Animation TypeCel
Setting19th Century Wild West America
Characters
  • Spirit, a mustang stallion (Matt Damon)
  • US Colonel (James Cromwell)
  • Little Creek, Lakota Native (Daniel Studi)
  • Rain, a horse (actual sound recordings of horses)
MusicWritten by Bryan Adams with Gavin Greenaway, Eliot Kennedy, RJ Lange, Gretchen Peters, Steve Jablonsky and/or Hans Zimmer unless stated
  • 'Here I am'
  • 'This is Where I Belong'
  • 'You Can't Take Me'
  • 'Get off my Back'
  • 'Sound the Bugle' by Gavin Greenaway & Trevor Horn
  • 'I Will Always Return'
  • 'Don't Let Go'
  • 'Brothers Under the Sun'

Though the story is a bit black and white, the animation is an explosion of colour and confidence. The plot anticipates Spielberg's later masterpiece, War Horse. Unusually, the central animal character remains very much a realistic horse and is not anthropomorphised, never talking except in whinnies and snorts, although the audience is given an occasional voiceover representing his thoughts.

7. Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas (2003)

DirectorsPatrick Gilmore & Tim Johnson
PlotSinbad, a roguish pirate, is framed by Eris, goddess of discord, for the crime of stealing the Book of Peace from Syracuse, a Greek colony on Sicily. With Sinbad sentenced to death an old friend, Proteus, Prince of Syracuse, offers himself in Sinbad's place. Sinbad and his crew have ten days in which to recover the Book of Peace from the goddess' realm of Tartarus and return to Syracuse, or Proteus will die. Yet on the voyage they encounter various monsters.
Length82 minutes
Animation TypeCel
SettingAncient Mediterranean and Tartarus
Characters
  • Sinbad (Brad Pitt)
  • Marina (Catherine Zeta-Jones)
  • Eris, Goddess of Chaos (Michelle Pfeiffer)
  • Proteus, Prince of Syracuse (Joseph Fiennes)
  • Kale, a pirate (Dennis Haysbert)
  • Rat, a pirate (Adriano Giannini)
  • Dymas, King of Syracuse (Timothy West)
  • Spike, a dog (Frank Welker)
Spin OffCyclops Island (2003) short film

As Katzenberg had enjoyed tremendous success at Disney with Aladdin, Sinbad was perhaps a natural choice at DreamWorks. However, Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas was a major flop and almost resulted in the animation studio's closure. The film itself is a highly enjoyable fantasy, yet by 2003 films made using traditional animation methods were beginning to look old-fashioned.

There was some criticism of racism levelled against the film. Sinbad, traditionally from Baghdad, is portrayed as growing up in the Greek city of Syracuse and has a Caucasian skin colour. The truth is perhaps that the film owes less to the traditional tales of Sinbad than to the films of Ray Harryhausen, who often employed a mix-and-match mythology approach. Not only are Harryhausen's Sinbad trilogy8 a strong influence in the film, his interpretation of Greek myths9, in which gods play games with men, is echoed in the scenes with Eris. Even his dinosaur films are referred to - the character of Marina is carried away by a mythical monster in an identical way to how Raquel Welch was taken by a pterodactyl in One Million Years BC.

So why did it flop? Perhaps the reason is more cultural than any flaw in the film itself. Currently in Western culture, animated films aimed at a young, male audience have consistently done poorly at the box office, as a young, male audience is the target group least likely to go to see an animated film10.

Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas was unable to compete with Finding Nemo (2003) at the box office and lost around $125million. Following this, DreamWorks SKG spun off the animation division into a separate company, DreamWorks Animation SKG. DreamWorks Animation abandoned the cel animation format; from now on, all their films would be CGI.

8. Shrek 2 (2004)

DirectorsAndrew Adamson, Kelly Asbury & Conrad Vernon
PlotPrincess Fiona takes Shrek to her home kingdom of Far Far Away to meet her parents. However, Shrek and her father do not get on and the king employs an assassin, Puss in Boots, to eliminate Shrek. Meanwhile the Fairy Godmother plots to marry Fiona to her son, Prince Charming, so that he would inherit the kingdom.
Length93 minutes
Animation TypeCGI
SettingFar Far Away, magical kingdom
Characters
  • Shrek (Mike Myers)
  • Donkey (Eddie Murphy)
  • Princess Fiona (Cameron Diaz)
  • Puss in Boots (Antonio Banderas)
  • King Harold (John Cleese)
  • Queen Lillian (Julie Andrews)
  • Prince Charming (Rupert Everett)
  • Fairy Godmother (Jennifer Saunders)
  • Doris the Ugly Stepsister (Jonathan Ross in UK / Larry King in US)
Music
  • 'Accidentally in Love' by Adam Duritz, Dan Vickrey, David Immerglück et al
  • 'Funkytown' by Steven Greenberg
  • 'Fairy Godmother Song' by Andrew Adamson, Stephen Barton, Walt Dohrn, Harry Gregson-Williams, David P Smith & Aron Warner
  • 'Little Drop of Poison' by Tom Waits & Kathleen Brennan
  • 'I Need Some Sleep' by Mark Everett
  • 'Ever Fallen in Love' by Pete Shelley
  • 'People Ain't No Good' by Nick Cave
  • 'Changes' by David Bowie
  • 'Livin' La Vida Loca' by Desmond Child & Draco 'Robi' Rosa
  • 'Holding Out for a Hero' by Dean Pitchford & Jim Steinman
  • 'You're So True' by Joseph Arthur
  • 'As Lovers Go' by Christopher Carrabba
Sequels
  • 5. Shrek (2001)
  • 14. Shrek the Third (2007)
  • 20. Shrek Forever After (2010)
  • 23. Puss in Boots (2011)
  • Shrek in the Swamp Karaoke Dance Party (2001) musical short film
  • Shrek 4-D (2003) theme park ride
  • Far Far Away Idol (2004) musical short film
  • Shrek the Halls (2007) Christmas short film
  • Donkey's Carolling Christmas Shrek-tacular (2010) musical short
  • Scared Shrekless (2011) Halloween anthology
  • Shrek's Thrilling Tales (2012) Halloween anthology

Three years after the release of Shrek DreamWorks Animation released their first sequel, creating a film as good as the original. Fantastic new characters were introduced, played by an amazing voice cast, while the returning characters were all allowed their moment to shine also. Shrek 2's success made up for Sinbad's poor performance and proved that in the 21st Century, well-made fairy tales were still by far the most popular animated film format.

Shrek 2 is DreamWorks Animation's most successful animated film to date and was the most successful animated film ever until Toy Story 3 was released six years later.

The film continues the trend begun in the first film by spoofing Disney fairy tale films including The Little Mermaid, as well as popular culture such as The Lord of the Rings. This is perfectly encapsulated in 'The Fairy Godmother Song' which particularly references Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast. Shrek 2 has also forever changed the assumption that a charming prince is the hero, a trend even Disney have followed in their films including Enchanted (2007) and Frozen (2014).

9. Shark Tale (2004)


DirectorsVicky Jenson, Bibo Bergeron & Rob Letterman
PlotOscar is a fish with a dead-end job - he dreams of a better life, but is indebted to loan sharks. When he witnesses a shark's death he proclaims himself a Shark Slayer to gain fame and fortune, while the only other witness, Lenny, is a vegetarian shark who wishes to be free from his father's expectations and live his own life.
Length91 minutes
Animation TypeCGI
SettingUnder the Sea
Characters
  • Oscar, a blue fish (Will Smith)
  • Lenny, vegetarian great white shark (Jack Black)
  • Don Lino, great white shark godfather (Robert De Niro)
  • Angie, an angelfish (Renée Zellweger)
  • Lola, a lionfish (Angelina Jolie)
  • Sykes, a pufferfish (Martin Scorsese)
  • Ernie & Bernie, jellyfish (Ziggy Marley & Doug E Doug)
  • Frankie, Lenny's brother (Michael Imperioli)
Music
  • 'Theme from Jaws' by John Williams
  • 'Car Wash' by Norman Whitfield, additional lyrics by Missy Elliott
  • '(We Went As) Far as We Felt Like Goin'' by Kenny Noland & Bob Crewe
  • 'Three Little Birds' by Bob Marley
  • 'Gold Digger' by Alonzo Lee, Shamar Daugherty, Christopher Bridges, Bobby Wilson & Arbie Wilson
  • 'Got to Be Real' by David Foster, David Paich & Cheryl Lynn
  • 'Secret Love' by Phillip White, Jared Gosselin & Samantha Jade Gibbs
  • 'Good Foot' by Justin Timberlake & Tim Mosley
  • 'Can't Wait' by Harvey Mason Jr, Damon Thomas, Antonio Dixon, Eric Dawkins & Steven L. Russell
  • 'Get It Together' by Drew Ramsey, Shannon Sanders & India Arie
  • 'Sweet Kind of Life' by Jimmy Jam, Terry Lewis & Cheryl Lynn
  • 'Lies & Rumors' by D 'Proof' Holton, D Porter et al
Spin OffClub Oscar (2004) short film
LogoThe boy fishing on the moon puts a worm on the line's hook, which is cast into the water where it attracts the attention of sharks.

A film that somehow comes across as being both extremely shallow and out of its depth, especially in comparison to Pixar's Finding Nemo (2003). Both films have a father-son relationship as one of the central themes. Finding Nemo asked what it would be like if your family was eaten by predators, or if you had no long-term memory, and then provided heart-felt answers. Shark Tale asks 'what would Robert De Niro look like if he was a shark?' and 'what if a fish looked really, really sexy?'

The character of Oscar comes across like an aquatic clone of Donkey combined with some of the selfish elements of Shrek. As Donkey's singing had been such a success, we now have a rapping fish. Most of the jokes, referring to films such as The Godfather, completely miss the target audience of young children. The film did make DreamWorks Animation the first animation studio to release two CGI animated films in the same year, although some critics felt that this was at the expense of putting quantity in front of quality.

The Ultimate DreamWorks Animated Film Guide
1998-2004 | 2005-2009 | 2010-2014
1There is a very good reason why no Disney film to date has discussed drinking fluid from other animals' anuses, for example...2Not to be confused with film The Queen (2006), starring Helen Mirren,3A single version was released, sung by Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston rather than Michelle Pfeiffer and Ofra Haza.4No relation of actor Colin Baker, who played the coat-of-many-colours wearing Sixth Doctor.5Cats were highly revered in Ancient Egypt; however, viewers cannot help wondering whether this was a deliberate euphemism by DreamWorks' animators.6DreamWorks Animation have made numerous short specials.7Including Christopher Columbus: The Discovery, 1492: Conquest Of Paradise and even Carry On Columbus, all 1992, with others including Asterix Conquers America (1994) and Pocahontas (1995).8The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, The Golden Voyage of Sinbad and Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger.9See Jason and the Argonauts and Clash of the Titans.10Examples of films aimed at a young male audience that subsequently flopped include The Lord of the Rings (1978), Disney's The Black Cauldron (1985), Treasure Planet (2002) and Mars Needs Moms (2011), Warner Bros' The Iron Giant (1999) and 20th Century Fox's Titan AE (2000).

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Edited Entry

A87878533

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Credits

References

h2g2 Entries

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more