The h2g2 Post 23.03.06

2 Conversations


Posted: 23rd March 2006


 

 


2006


In my recent avowal to read more classic literature, I have finished The Scarlet Letter and am now starting in on 1984. And while I'm only on page 17 just now, I've decided I really like this book. My IM profile now carries the slogan of the Party:

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

I even added a 'BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU' for good measure.

In school today we took the California High School Exit Exam. It's a bit of an odd process in that you're tested two years before you graduate on material most students learn two years prior to the test year. In the spirit of American bureauocracy, our teacher was required to read a script explaining how we were to fill in our 'answer documents' and the testing directions. Among other things, the script proclaimed that if we were to cheat on the test, our scores would be 'invalidated'. Not only did this provoke a series of jokes among the class over who and what else would be 'invalidated', mutterings of 'Big Brother' resounded throughout the room. Maybe George Orwell was right in his prediction of the future - just one that's coming true 22 years too late.

Lest we get too depressed, let me wish those who are celebrating on Sunday a Happy Mother's Day. Though we Americans don't celebrate until later in the year, I'm still, as always, saying thank you to my mom — if only because she made sure I didn't turn out to be a member of the Big Brother society.


echomikeromeo


 

 
FICTION

 

 

  • The h2g2 Poem

  • 'The Many Lives of Angel Man and Scrapper Dog' by cactuscafe


 

 
CARTOONS

 

 

 

 

 
REGULARS

 

 

 

 
FEATURES

 

 

 

 

 
h2g2 NEWS

 

 

 

 
The Post Box
Submissions Click Here
Editorial Feedback Click Here

  • The

    Post

    Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A7645412

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more