Talking Point: Mixed-race Relationships

19 Conversations

We are all of equal worth, born equal in dignity and born free and for this reason deserving of respect whatever our external circumstances.
- Archbishop Desmond Tutu speaking at the United Nations

Did you know that 50% of all black children born in Britain have one white parent? Britain currently has one of the highest rates of inter-racial relationships in the Western world, producing a society that is culturally rich and varied. Does this statistic matter? Do mixed race relationships show how multi-cultural Britain and the world is becoming? Or do inter-racial relationships erode cultures? We want to know:

  • Can cultural and ethnic differences strengthen or destroy a relationship?

  • Would you turn down a blind date with someone if you found out they were of a different ethnic group to you?

  • Have you been involved in a mixed-race relationship?

  • Or do you only look for a partner within your ethnic group?

  • Did you encounter racial hatred because your partner was a different colour to you?

  • How did your parents react when you took your partner home to meet them?

  • Do you know someone who has changed their religion in order to be able to marry their partner of a different race?

  • Are you the child of an inter-racial relationship? What have been your experiences of growing up?

  • Do the children of mixed-race couples benefit from a diverse cultural upbringing or will they never truly be accepted by either ethnic group?

Tell us your thoughts and experiences on the issues affecting mixed-race couples.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A695199

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more