A Conversation for Talking Point: Mixed-race Relationships

We are all "mixed race"

Post 1

ali1kinobe

Just a thought a recent TV program analysed mitochondrial (this is only inherited from your mother and can pick up small mutations which can build up in populations of people, correct me if i'm wrong) DNA from a range of people from different cultural backgrounds. The suprising finding was that people who consider themselves 100%black, white, asian etc often had genetic marker which could only have come from an ancestor with a different racial background. In otherwords, for almost all of us, we would only have to look back a few generations to find an ancestor of a "different" racial background.

Secondly Britain always has been a mishmash of different "races" for example the celts (who I believe were origonally from n.africa), germanic peoples (saxons) latin peoples (romans) and the normans. So britain always has been (at least in a biological sense) multiracial


We are all "mixed race"

Post 2

CMaster

well hell, according to the biologists we all came from a bunch of apes in africa anyway, so were all thhe same race anyway. And you're right, all those who complain that British are becoming a mongrel race, they've mist the chance to prevent that by a few 1000 years


We are all "mixed race"

Post 3

tonderai (wearing an itchy baobab hat)

i'd agree wholeheartedly with everything above. indeed, the concept of racial purity is a complete misnomer, and a very dangerous one at that. We are all so-called 'mongrels' and should be proud of it. Biologically, the strength of all species, including homo sapiens, lies in its diversity; similarly with cultures are enriched by diverse ideas and approaches from different parts of the world. Often these strengths seem to be crushed by blind intolerance to the most visible differences between people - which is simply a reflection climate of the planet.

the word 'race' is simply a line drawn in the sand, separating an entire spectrum of people on the basis of colour, language, religion, or even political ideas. in a rainbow, where excactly does blue become green become yellow, well you catch my drift. it often seems to tell you more about the motivations of the person speaking than who they are describing. hence, as hell said in this thread, "mixed race relationship" is a really poor way of putting this talking point.

i think that acceptance of marriages of different skin colour, religion, culture etc usually depends on the context. if people are exposed to diversity every day then it soon becomes a normal and, for me - exciting, part of their lives. i really noticed this when i moved from london to southampton uni, which is i'd say is less diverse. there's an even greater difference between london and my home town in Kent. even in places where you do stick out, however, people generally adjust once they get used to it.

apologies for the rant smiley - winkeye

[i'd recommend the film 'American History X' on this smiley - smiley ]

easi.


We are all "mixed race"

Post 4

Researcher 205627

i am 14 and i am dealing with a mixed race relationship now. i am white and my boyfriend is mexican, well my mom is trippin and said me and him are to have no contact what so ever. i flat out told her that we all are mixed cultured. for heaven sakes i am german, ukrainion, cherokee, dutch german, italion, and irish. that is so mixed it isn't even funny. i don't think people should be judged by the color of their skin. i don't care if their black, mexican, white, pink or purple...


We are all "mixed race"

Post 5

CMaster

Hmm, Mexican, despite being essentially spanish, isn't 'White'.
White seems to have come to mean 'The majority in developed countries' almost. I think it shows that prejudice isn't even about race, but picking on the minority. And damn right, have a go at your mother for such a backwards and narrow view.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more