Talking Point: Smoking in Public

29 Conversations

Are people allowed to smoke at your place of work? At one time people were allowed to smoke wherever they liked; on trains, planes and buses; in the cinema; even in the doctor's waiting room. Many places have now become no smoking zones and smokers don't expect to be able to 'light-up' anywhere they chose.

Some countries have banned smoking in all public areas, others have stopped people smoking on public transport. But just how far should the no smoking rules extend? Where do you think it is acceptable for people to smoke? In which of these places do you think that should smoking be banned? Why?

  • Restaurants
  • Pubs and bars
  • Nightclubs
  • Friends' houses
  • The street
  • Parks and open spaces
  • Public transport
  • Public spaces (Museums, Libraries etc)
  • Cinemas, concerts and theatres
  • At work
  • At college

Would you allow smoking in these areas if specially designated smoking areas were provided?


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A678963

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more