A Conversation for Old Announcements: January - September 2011

This thread has been closed

crosses fingers

Post 121

GreyDesk

You think that's impressive. I got -3 for Atled Volunteers smiley - silly


crosses fingers

Post 122

egon

When I went to the Atled thread, it had said on my space (1 new post", so I went there, read the one new post by Mina, went back to my PS, and then it said -2 new posts smiley - weird


crosses fingers

Post 123

dasilva

I've got -38 posts on one thread smiley - silly


crosses fingers

Post 124

the third man(temporary armistice)n strike)

I've been out of the country for a couple of weeks.
Basically what tyhe f*ck has happened!!!!!!
I'm not impressed at all.


crosses fingers

Post 125

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

Have a smiley - cake. It's a new signing on system and we have to believe it will be all right in the end smiley - winkeye.

See the threads on the <./>announcements</.> page for the details.

smiley - smiley


crossed search

Post 126

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Nephew Who trying to search the Guide
"Did somebody mention the advanced search is not that advanced anymore?
And indeed the 'new posts' is also a bit wacky.
But it comes in handy to see if you are logged in in that instance. (Never occured to us before to wonder if browser instances are logged in!)"

Traveller in Time smiley - tit on his head
"How about the confusing message 'hello researcher, i am not researcher' It is creating a creepy feeling. I do not know if I will expose my children to such ideas."

Signor OnOff
"101010 == 42 (checked!) join the campaign to log off again at < A1355618 >"


crossed search

Post 127

Gnomon - time to move on

The advanced search looks the same to me.


crossed search

Post 128

SEF

In brunel, the advanced search form starts with none of the radio buttons on instead of a default one of search the guide (which would have meant the checkboxes were not greyed/disabled). As soon as you click any radio button it starts behaving as normal (always exactly one button on at a time, forcing the previous one off and changing the disable on the article type checkboxes).


crossed search

Post 129

SEF

In classic, alabaster or plain skin advanced search has separate forms for the different types of search (article, conversation, nickname) so the situation doesn't arise.


Closed Eyes

Post 130

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in time smiley - tit on his toes
"Hmm, just looked up during this post. I get the impression this whole forum is illegal in a way. Posting here draws the announcement into public attention."

Nephew Who clapping words on his console
The first article should be the last. Can they not use instead of ?"


Closed Eyes

Post 131

You can call me TC

When I looked at the advanced search when the changeover first took place, I thought it was better - one bar to fill in and then you just say where to look for it. I just checked again and it's back as before. That is not really an important point. I would like to be able to search thread titles though. When will we be able to do that?


Closed Eyes

Post 132

Gnomon - time to move on

The Advanced Search has had one field to fill in since they introduced the Brunel skin. The only change to the Advanced Search in the last week is that it no longer defaults to searching the Guide. You now have to click one of the three radio buttons. Before, the first radio button was 'pre-clicked'.

Does the 'search conversations' not search the thread titles?


Simple Side options

Post 133

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit on his head
"Checked, search conversations _content_ most recent first. There is a future feature fantasy request to narrow the search to specific forums."


Simple Side options

Post 134

Jim Lynn

We'll be introducing searching of a specific forum shortly.


Simple Side options

Post 135

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Will you be fixing the "punctuation bug" at the same time? smiley - geek


Simple Side options

Post 136

Jim Lynn

I think any punctuation problems are a 'feature' of the index server we use. We build the search strings, but it's up to index server to decide what constitutes a 'word'.


Simple Side options

Post 137

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

The problem seems to be that the process is asymmetrical; from my experimentation, it seems that the search string we enter is pre-processed to have all punctuation removed, but the comparison strings from the database aren't. There's nothing we can do about it at our end...

For example, if there was a thread containing the phrase "Jim's misplaced apostrophes' corner", entering exactly this as a search string might get a hit rating of less than 30%, with less precise matches getting a higher rating. smiley - erm

The solution, as I see it, would be to figure out what pre-processing has been applied to the strings in the index, and then match that exactly when pre-processing the search strings before passing them to the index server. smiley - geek


Simple Side options

Post 138

SEF

Entering search strings in quotes wasn't working before despite what the help page said. Is it working now?

Including the posting titles in the scope of the search was another thing most people who expressed a preference wanted.


Simple Side options

Post 139

You can call me TC

Searching thread titles definitely doesn't work. I experimented by Searching Conversations for the word "Precise". The thread "The return of what music are you listening to at this precise moment" does not appear. (The word precise is not used in any of the posts, just in the title, and the thread title still remains after over 9000 posts!)


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more