A Conversation for Role Playing: The Last Voyage of the Mary Celeste

Captain Brigg's Cabin

Post 1

Witty Moniker

*Lizzie enters, places the basket in the corner and climbs into her bunk. She's feeling a little overwhelmed with the events of the day. She can hear bit and pieces of conversation on the deck as various members of the walk near the cabin window.*


Captain Brigg's Cabin

Post 2

Gw7en, Voice of Chaos (Classic)

*comes into the cabin and goes to sit on Lizzie's bunk*

What story would you like to hear, dear?

*smoothes Lizzie's hair back from her face*


Captain Brigg's Cabin

Post 3

Witty Moniker

Mother, I want to tell you about something Mr. Head said. He did say I could bring playthings to the galley. He said I probably have nice playthings and even nice jewelry to wear.

But there was something about the way he said it that made me think I didn't understand him. Why would Mr. Head want me to wear nice jewelry, Mother?


Captain Brigg's Cabin

Post 4

Gw7en, Voice of Chaos (Classic)

*blinks* I don't know, Lizzie. I think that Mr Head was just trying to make conversation, that's all. He's very lonely in the galley all by himself, so maybe he just wants company. *thinks* He said that he can make jewelry. Maybe he was looking for something to base it off of. He asked me to leave a piece so that he could make something for us. I didn't have anything at the time, so I didn't leave anything. *thinks some more*

*shakes head to clear it* I'm sure that he didn't mean anything serious by it, dear. What else happened while I was talking with Uli?


Captain Brigg's Cabin

Post 5

Witty Moniker

Not very much. Mr. Richardson brought Miss Amelia out for some fresh air and you came out not much after.

Do you have some extra yarn or string I could have. I'd like to make a toy for smiley - cat. And I could play cat's cradle, too.


Captain Brigg's Cabin

Post 6

Gw7en, Voice of Chaos (Classic)

Of course, dear. *stands up and goes over to her sewing basket and sorts through it. finds a long piece of green yarn* Here you are. That should be just about right for your purposes.


Captain Brigg's Cabin

Post 7

Witty Moniker

Thank you. smiley - smiley That will be perfect!

I'm ready for a story now. I'd like to hear about a princess, a sad princess. And there should be magic in the story, too. Can you tell me a story like that?


Captain Brigg's Cabin

Post 8

Gw7en, Voice of Chaos (Classic)

I'll see what I can do, Lizzie

*takes her seat on the bunk and thinks for a moment*

Many years ago, a lovely young princess was born to a queen in exile. The princess and the queen lived the life of a humble family and in fact the princess did not know how truly special she was until she turned 13.

On her 13th birthday, her mother the queen took her aside and told her the wonderful story of her heritage. You see, her family came from a long line of royalty, dating back longer than the princess could ever have imagined.

Her kingdom had suffered a terrible fate at the hands of black sorcerors, who had wanted to use its people to conquer the world. The princess' ancestors fought against this misuse until they finally had to trap the black sorcerors in the magnificent palace. When they realized that they had been tricked, the black sorcerors cast a mighty spell, figuring that if they couldn't have the world, then the royal family couldn't have their kingdom. The skies darkened, the thunder rolled, and the palace itself - once made of white marble - turned black from the evil magic that was being cast within it. No one expected to survive the black sorcerors' power.

But the princess' ancestors had magic of their own. They surrounded the palace with a curtain of pure white light. Then they pushed against the light so that it got smaller, and smaller, and smaller. The palace, with the black sorcerors inside, shrank as well, until all that was left was a gem. A beautiful gem of white and blue. The royal family had the stone set in pure gold and gave it to their eldest daughter to protect.

And so the stone was passed down this family, always to the eldest daughter and always on her 13th birthday. When the princess heard this, she knew that one day she would have a beautiful daughter of her own and would pass on the story, the stone and the responsibility to her.

As the princess got older and spent more time with the stone, she realized what a burden this could be. The magic of the stone was getting old and no one knew how to strengthen it again. This made the princess very sad, because she did not want to give her future daughter anything that dangerous. The princess worried about this every night and could not sleep well.

One night, she heard her mother the queen call out for her. The queen, who by this time was quite old, was dying adn she made the princess swear that she would guard the stone and make sure that nothing happened to it. Then she died. The princess had now become the queen, but her heart was very heavy.

A few years later, the queen happened to meet a handsome prince. They fell desperately in love and were soon wed. The prince made the queen so happy and lifted so many of her burdens that she was able to sleep again. Then it happened. The queen gave birth to a lovely baby girl.

The queen and the prince were both happy that their daughter had come to them, but again the queen's responsibility weighed heavily on her mind and heart. So, one day, she took a boat out to the middle of a large lake and dropped the stone into it. She knew that it would no longer bother her family, and that it would be safe in the water. She didn't have to worry about it any more. And she and the prince and their daughter the new princess lived happily ever after.

*leans over and kisses Lizzie on the forehead*

Sorry this is so long. I just got into telling the story. smiley - winkeye


Captain Brigg's Cabin

Post 9

Witty Moniker


Applause! That was very well done, thanks for the effort. Too bad that nobody but you and I (and the lurkers smiley - winkeye) will read it.


*While Mother told the story, Lizzie gently cradled her pendant in her little hand. As the story neared its end, her eyes got heavier and heavier and she is almost asleep.*


Thank you, Mother. I believe in magic, don't you?


Captain Brigg's Cabin

Post 10

Gw7en, Voice of Chaos (Classic)

Yes, dear, I most definitely do.

*kisses Lizzie's forehead again and gazes fondly at the little girl. then rises slowly and carefully and heads back for the bridge*

Have a nice nap, Lizzie. I'll wake you for dinner.


Captain Brigg's Cabin

Post 11

Gw7en, Voice of Chaos (Classic)

I meant "deck" not "bridge". smiley - doh


Captain Brigg's Cabin

Post 12

soeasilyamused, or sea

*the cat climbs in through the open window and looks around quietly, so not to wake lizzie*


Captain Brigg's Cabin

Post 13

Witty Moniker

*Lizzie stirs from her nap and notices the smiley - cat exploring the cabin.*

Kitty, I've got something for you.

*Lizzie takes the length of green yarn and goes over to Mother's sewing basket. She takes the embroidery scissors and cuts off a piece about 1 yard long which she rolls up and puts in her pocket. After putting the scissors away, she takes the remaining longer length and winds it into a ball about three inches in diameter. She leaves a short length hanging from it.

She dangles the makeshift toy in front of the smiley - cat*

Come on... want to play? smiley - smiley


Captain Brigg's Cabin

Post 14

soeasilyamused, or sea

*the cat meows and bats at the ball with one paw*


Captain Brigg's Cabin

Post 15

Witty Moniker

*Lizzie pulls up on the yarn so that the ball is just out of reach of smiley - cat, trying to get the kitty to show a little more enthusiasm.*

You can do better than that! Come on! Be a good kitty.


Captain Brigg's Cabin

Post 16

soeasilyamused, or sea

*the cat reaches with one paw again, and misses. she tries both paws, and misses. then she jumps at it with both paws*


Captain Brigg's Cabin

Post 17

Witty Moniker

smiley - biggrin That's better! You had me worried for a minute.

*Looks cat in the eyes and speaks softly.*

I know you aren't a regular cat. I can just tell. I wish you could talk to me. I want to know all about you.

*Scratches smiley - cat behind the ears and dangles the yarn again.*


Captain Brigg's Cabin

Post 18

soeasilyamused, or sea

*the cat looks at lizzie, not the yarn*

[cat] are you /sure/ you want to have a talking cat? you don't prefer the silent, brooding, /normal/ type?


Captain Brigg's Cabin

Post 19

Witty Moniker

*smiley - bigeyes Lizzie drops the yarn and claps her hands together.*

Oh, wonderful. Yes, of course I prefer a talking smiley - cat. Please talk to me. The adults are always begin whispering when they see I am near. They say nice things, but I really don't learn anything. You go all over the ship and see many things. Maybe you could tell me what is going on. We could help each other.

*Thinks for a bit.*

But I don't think you should ever talk to me when the others are around. It should be a secret. What do you think?


Captain Brigg's Cabin

Post 20

soeasilyamused, or sea

[cat] i agree. some of the sailors might throw me overboard if they knew i could talk... so it's our secret. i'll pretend to be a regular cat when anyone else is around.

*the cat jumps up on the bed and sits facing lizzie*

[cat] what would you like to know, miss lizzie?


Key: Complain about this post