A Conversation for Wind force twelve abaft the Beam

The Pelican's Nest.

Post 1

shagbark

The sikorskys return with the shipwrights who set about replacing the main mast. They compain bitterly about the difficulties in constructing a crows nest from bedposts and construct a pelican's nest instead. The mast with it's pelicans nest is raised and set in place. The lines are attached and winched tight. They decide to let the smiley - pirates deal with raising the sail of newly stitched sheets. they take the helicopter and depart the way they came.


The Pelican's Nest.

Post 2

Archibald (Harry) Tuttle considered a radical HVAC technician, Zaphodista, Descent3 pilot

Well the main difference between a Pelican's nest and a Crow's nest would have to size. (apart from that fishy smell) Pelicans are larger than crows so there is probably room now for that hot tub Marie-rae requested.
I'll see if I can round up the ships plumber for the water supply and the ships electrician for the solar panels to power the heater and the pumps.


The Pelican's Nest.

Post 3

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

dont forget we need a new dumb waiter also smiley - erm

smiley - pirate


The Pelican's Nest.

Post 4

shagbark

shagbark climbs to the top of the new mast and installs the rope to
hold the flag. he then hoists the Jolly Roger which flaps in the
gulf breezes above the Pelican's Nest.


The Pelican's Nest.

Post 5

shagbark

I think the captain said we wanted a dumb waiter, now where did I put that gizmo. shagbark disappears for a minute.


The Pelican's Nest.

Post 6

shagbark

shagbark reappears with his top secret automatic dumbwaiter installation smiley - wizard. He draws a few runes on the mast pushes a couple buttons and the smiley - magic starts. A haze envelops the mast and when it clears there sits the door to a new dumbwaiter.


The Pelican's Nest.

Post 7

shagbark

shagbark returns the smiley - wizard to his hiding place and returns with a
large table which he bolts down next to the hot tub.


The Pelican's Nest.

Post 8

shagbark

shagbark then climbs down the rigging and goes for a walk on the foredeck.


The Pelican's Nest.

Post 9

Archibald (Harry) Tuttle considered a radical HVAC technician, Zaphodista, Descent3 pilot

I've decided that the hot tub will be a fully self sustaining appliance.
hangs mist nets in the rigging above the Pelican's nest. These nets are specialy designed to catch the sea mist and collect the droplets, a clever arrangement of piping brings the collected water to the tub. Fiendishly clever flexible solar cells are attached to the sails to gather enough power to heat the tub to a lovely 105 deg. F. and instead of nasty chemicals the circulation pump is piped through an ultraviolet light sanitizer where any microbes are killed by intense bombardment of ultraviolet light from specialy designed lamps.

Nothing left to do now but sit back and enjoy the view, and a smiley - stiffdrink of course.


The Pelican's Nest.

Post 10

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

:: jumps into the hot tub with a nice cold smiley - ale ::

smiley - pirate


The Pelican's Nest.

Post 11

mari-rae(tee reads: (entangled in cardboard boxes, please send tape...)

*Climbs the rigging and stands there looking in amazement at her new workplace. She is really surprised and happy! smiley - wow She waves to the Captain who is splashing happily in the new, fantastic hot tub, and rushes over to the smiley - magic dumbwaiter and tries it out... in an instant a nice large V&T complete with a slice appears. smiley - stiffdrink. Drink in hand she goes over to inspect the workings for the hot tub and sees all the careful thought and care that went into its construction. smiley - cool She is even more amazed when an actual pelican appears and skids to a landing in the hot tub next to the Captain! It floats around, preening its glossy feathers in a very self-satisfied and contented manner. m-r obtains a smiley - fish out of the dumbwaiter and feeds it to the pelican who accepts the offering happily and rubs its head against her hand. She climbs into the hot tub with Pierce and the Pelican. *

This calls for a PARTY!!!! Thank you, everyone for this lovely work enviornment. I'm sure I will be very happy carrying out my lookout duties from here!!!

smiley - cheers


The Pelican's Nest.

Post 12

Batty_ACE

*hauls Holy Tail up the rigging to see what's going on*

smiley - bigeyes

Woohoo! A party!!!

*takes a bottle of smiley - bubbly out of her bag and pops the cork*


The Pelican's Nest.

Post 13

mari-rae(tee reads: (entangled in cardboard boxes, please send tape...)

Hi Batty! smiley - cheers Join us in the new hot tub! smiley - cool

*Orders lots of eats and drinks from the smiley - magic dumbwaiter that is built into the new main mast... Punches up island music on her portable boom box. smiley - musicalnote *




The Pelican's Nest.

Post 14

Batty_ACE

Very nice, Mari Rae!!! smiley - ok

*strips down to her skivvies and hops in the tub, bringing the smiley - bubbly and several straws with her*


The Pelican's Nest.

Post 15

Archibald (Harry) Tuttle considered a radical HVAC technician, Zaphodista, Descent3 pilot

smiley - cheers all. A lovely veiw from here.


The Pelican's Nest.

Post 16

mari-rae(tee reads: (entangled in cardboard boxes, please send tape...)

*The Pelican paddles around the hot tub happily.*

Hi Harry! smiley - cheers The hot tub is great! I think that this Pelican Nest is higher up than the old Crow's Nest. My horizons have widened! Thank you!


The Pelican's Nest.

Post 17

Archibald (Harry) Tuttle considered a radical HVAC technician, Zaphodista, Descent3 pilot

Entirely my pleasure Marie-rae. And thanks to Shagbark for the dumbwaiter with out which we would be faced with tiresome treks to the bar to refresh our smiley - stiffdrinks


The Pelican's Nest.

Post 18

Archibald (Harry) Tuttle considered a radical HVAC technician, Zaphodista, Descent3 pilot

I mean of course that the treks would be tiresome not the bar which is lovely.


The Pelican's Nest.

Post 19

Kes

*Arrives via the rigging*
Aha! Made it at last! Did someone mention a party?
*Accepts straw and sips the communal bubbly from outside the tub. Inspects the pelican cautiously.*
He seems quite cheerful ... do warn him not to try eating the soap though!


The Pelican's Nest.

Post 20

Batty_ACE

Jump in, Kes. The hot tub feels wonderful.. smiley - erm cept maybe when the pelican swims by, that kind of tickles..


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more