A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1841

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

I knew I forgot something.

Salt + watermelon? I supposed it can't be any worse than Oreos + mustard.


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1842

marvthegrate LtG KEA

Hey! Oreos and Mustard is not *that* bad.


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1843

mikerhike - guardian of the wa, and now also of WA

I don't cook with salt any more. I was eating a dish in a restaurant once that was incredibly salty, but I didn't notice until one of the group that tried mine and someone else's pointed it out. i basically discovered that I had no idea how salty things were. Perhaps I'm lucky in that I don't notice..

Having said that every time I walk past the chippy I smell the salt and the vinegar and the batter-y-ness and I just REALLY want some. So far managed to resist.

Hyp: Could you send me an application form for that librarian job? I can drink coffee and play on the internet.

I'm sure I heard something about adding salt, or vinegar(?) definitely something weird to strawberries to enhance the flavour. Anyone know?


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1844

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Mustard on oreos? smiley - weird

I'm home from the meeting and about 75 miles of driving, just finished off the last of the scones with caramel bits smiley - drool that weren't eaten, brought in and put away all the shopping, and am contemplating just looking at the wall for a while.

Our retired sheriff is a big squarely handsome sort of fellow, white haired and friendly, and he dresses exactly the way you would hope the Sheriff of Lincoln County would, with the hat and the boots and the kerchief and all. His colleague, the retired Mayor of Capitan, is the same except even taller. And they both talk like genuine cowboys.

Last year a French film crew came to Lincoln and made a documentary about Billy the Kid and the research that Sullivan and Sederwall have been spearheading, the revisiting of his escape from the Lincoln Courthouse and where he's buried and all. Now the documentary is being presented at the Cannes Film Festival -- and Sheriff Sullivan and Mayor Sederwall are there, all expenses paid, with their wives! Every time we think of them in their genuine rancher cowboy clothes, strolling around in Cannes, we are transported with amusement and delight. It's a canny publicity move by the French crew -- Sederwall is 6 foot 7 without the cowboy hat -- and an amazing free vacation for our friends.

Like Hypatia, I thrive on salty stuff. And in the cooking, it's just not the same to salt it post-production. But I understand its alleged role in blood pressure. I'm just not sure one should do without it completely. Why else do we have salt discrimination in our taste buds?


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1845

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

Is that your sheriff in the picture at the bottom of http://www.festival-cannes.fr/films/fiche_film.php?langue=6002&id_film=4355535 , Lil?


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1846

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

The bottom pic has Sheriff Sullivan on the left and Mayor Sederwall on the right. And Sheriff Sullivan is in the second pic down, with the white horse behind him.

Amy, thank you for finding this -- I never thought to actually look for ~evidence~ of their little jaunt!


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1847

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

Marv is right, they aren't that bad. Good contrast in flavors.


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1848

FG

That's okay, GDZ. I know someone who sprays EZ Cheese (cheese in a can, for those playing outside the US) on Kit-Kat bars. She claims it's good for the soul. smiley - weird

I too am a salt-a-holic. I used to eat rock salt right out of the bag as a child. Of course, thanks to the gods above, hypertension runs in my family. I have the blood pressure of a middle-aged man who has eaten bacon and smoked cigars all his life. Thankfully, I'm on medication that controls it without wreaking havoc on the rest of my body (if there's a side effect to be had with any medication, I'm the girl to experience it). Although I am much better at controlling my salt intake. I barely eat any junk food, and use spices and herbs in more creative ways so I won't overload on the salt.

I forgot to tell everyone this story yesterday--

Montana is famous for its wildlife: bears, moose, elk, elephants, bison, antelope, deer. Wait a minute. I suppose some of you just did a double take. So did my friend Dave yesterday morning. In his quest to lose weight, he's been going on a morning walk before work every weekday. He was walking through a city park on his way to work, when he walked by three elephants resting a grove of pine trees. He walked on for a few steps, then did the world's biggest double take. Sure enough, there were three elephants sitting on the ground among the trees. It was a cool, misty, rainy morning and the elephants were cooling off after a long trip. You see, the circus is in town, and their keepers thought the elephants would like to be out of their cages, and enjoy the pleasantly moist spring morning. smiley - cool


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1849

Teuchter

Some people put pepper on strawberries, mikerhike. Is that what you were thinking of?

I rarely use salt - either in cooking or on the table. The only things I do salt are porridge and baked potatoes.

Our recommended daily intake of salt is surprisingly small - 6g, or a teaspoon and a bit.
When you think about how highly salted some processed foods are, it's easily possible to exceed 6g in just one meal.


Enjoyed the picture of the sheriffs - exactly as you described them, Lil.


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1850

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Elephants in Montana! smiley - cool


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1851

Lady Chattingly

Loved the pix of the sheriff and mayor. Rather enjoyed the picture of Kris too.

That is one film I would like to see. We don't go to the movies much anymore, but would go for that one.

Have a good Sunday everyone.

Don't eat too many oreos and mustard............(yuk).


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1852

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

I've actually not had oreos and mustard since Marv's last birthday party that was in Salt Lake.

One of the gifts that C got for his birthday was the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle 3 movie, it was a lot funnier back in 1993.


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1853

Gw7en, Voice of Chaos (Classic)

[G7]

*sips smiley - tea*


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1854

FG

Later in the day I met one of the elephants, Lil. A baby girl elephant. She was still in the park while her older friends were performing at the circus. For each bite (a long, solemn contemplation) of hay, she would take another trunk full and toss it on her belly or over her head. To be honest, I'm not comfortable with the idea of circuses--or zoos, for that matter--so it was sad to see her all alone, in a foreign environment, chained to a stake in the ground. Her keeper was sitting 10 feet away on a cot, watching her eat. All I really wanted to do was go up and give her a hug. She had such big brown sad eyes with long, long eyelashes.

*sigh*


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1855

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

Good night all.


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1856

Hypatia

I have just been to two Wal-Marts looking for bolts to use to put together some chairs I bought in a box. smiley - erm The ones that came with them are too short. They sent 2.5 inch ones. The longest I could find the right diameter were 3 inches and they just barely work. Remember the good old days when you could get things already assembled? And customer service wasn't hostile? smiley - sigh

I found a cute straw hat while I was there, though. smiley - smiley I have been ordered to never be in the sun without a hat.


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1857

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

They've managed to put cheese in spray cans? smiley - erm How does that work then?


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1858

Coniraya

So K and I have decided to do that mile run for Sports Relief in July! Our aim is to actually get fit enough to run it. We could walk it easily, but that's no challenge and we both really need to get to fit again.


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1859

Phil

Yup those guys look like real cowboys all right.


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1860

Teuchter

I've been thinking about that too, Caer - but couldn't run a whole mile. Reckon I could Scouts' Pace it, though.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more