A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1801

Teuchter

Can't help with the curry recipe, I'm afraid - but Mu Beta seems to be the Curry King around these here parts, so he might be worth asking.

I've been 'tickled' by something I heard on the radio this week.
On Terry wogan's morning show they've had a running gag about the Irish version of that new film - you know, the one starring Tom Hanks, based on the best-selling book.

It's called The Maeve Binchey Codesmiley - biggrin


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1802

Agapanthus

[Ag - has been drinking gin, will comment, err, tomorrow]


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1803

FG

Awwwwww. Some of the best comments are made while drinking gin, Ag!


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1804

Hypatia

Teuchter, when will No.3 hear about the job?

I've heard it takes 3 weeks for your taste for salt to disappear and then you don't miss it. Anyone know if this is true?


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1805

Z

Chesterfield! I was on a train today from Birmingham to Leeds that should have stopped at Chesterfield and didn't because the driver forgot to stop!

smiley - rofl

Curry. I had a curry recipe posted on the here before.

Ingredients.

1. An onion.
2. Tinned tomatos,
3. Spices of your choice - to taste.
4. White stuff, potatoes or aubergine.
5. Other veg and stuff.

Step 1.

Find a clean pan, a fairly large one, I use a wok.

Step 2,

Fry the onion and garlic and leeks if you're using them.

Now add the white stuff I use either aubergine or tinned potatoes, or par boiled pots.

Fry that a bit.

Now add the spices. If you are using dried spices you need to cook the spices at this stage. Don't let them burn but fry them for a few minutes.

Now add the tinned tomatoes.

Gently simmer it all to thicken the tomatoes into a sauce. Whilst you're doing this add any spinach, precooked tinned veg that you might be using and mushrooms.

Eat when cooked.



85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1806

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

[GDZ]


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1807

Gw7en, Voice of Chaos (Classic)

Mmmmm... Curry... Mmmmm... Gin... Now I'm hungry and thirsty.

*sips smiley - tea*


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1808

logicus tracticus philosophicus

ltp ?? some one trying to say something F38024?thread=ltp ?? some one trying to say something F38024 censored as to 86 means erm what then


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1809

Lady Chattingly

Just can't get into curry. Maybe I haven't eaten the right stuff, but if it has cilantro in it, forget it................smiley - tongueout
I love hot sauce, but not if it has cilantro in it and most of the Mexican restaurants around here put cilantro in it. SIL makes awesome hot sauce..............no cilantro! smiley - biggrin


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1810

Mr. Cyde: The Tearer and Master of Bad Jokes.

I'll go with the Dave Lister diet myself.


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1811

Gw7en, Voice of Chaos (Classic)

"Cow Vindaloo"? smiley - winkeye


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1812

Lady Chattingly

I plead ignorance...........what is the Dave Lister diet? Or should I ask?


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1813

Mr. Cyde: The Tearer and Master of Bad Jokes.

Invest some time in a BBC comedy series called RED DWARF.


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1814

Lentilla (Keeper of Non-Sequiturs)

> I have found that there are lots and lots of fonts that turn out to be identical except that the name has been changed.

smiley - geek Lots of fonts that we use today were created by a printer like Caslon or Baskerville. They're known today for the typeface they created, but back then they just published a whole bunch of books using their own special font. Eurostile was created by a guy named Aldo Novarese in 1964. Optima was created by Hermann Zapf, who did a lot of faces - like Zapf Chancery, for example. When we switched to digital, all those fonts had to be converted over. Compannies like Bitstream took a lot of faces that were in public domain... or maybe they changed the font slightly so they could use it... renamed the font, and released it in their giant font package of 500 fonts. Pretty cool, except that many of their fonts are TrueType. Not always the best format for a font, and their kerning on some of the letters is a bit wonky. Adobe is a bit more reliable, as they already own the rights to the fonts they release. Lots of companies do this - I have a subscription to ClipArt.com, which has a bunch of fonts that are identical to Adobe Postscript fonts. So that's why you'll find fonts that are identical, but with different names.

> I've heard it takes 3 weeks for your taste for salt to disappear and then you don't miss it. Anyone know if this is true?

Dunno. I couldn't go without salt for three weeks!

Speaking of Red Dwarf, remember the vindaloo monster? Ewwww.... smiley - ill

Dave Lister ate nothing but vindaloo, and drank nothing but lager. And ate no toast.

Well, this is interesting. Looks like cilantro is one of those flavors that you either love or hate, like anise. I can't stand anise, especially in candy form. Black licorice - bleah. Those green candies? Double bleah.

I love cilantro. Pico de gallo isn't pico de gallo without cilantro in it. I have a great recipe which basically calls for diced tomato, onion and jalapeƱo - heat it on the stove, then add chopped cilantro after the fire is turned off. Then for extra yumminess add chopped avocado. smiley - drool

I also do a palak paneer which has half a tablespoon of ground coriander in it. Z, do you do milk? Or are you a strict vegan? If you like, I'll post the recipe after the weekend.

I'm off to Austin tomorrow for my pop's convocation. I'll have to call him Dr. Dad after this, I guess. As a graduation present, I'm giving him The Botany of Desire, by Michael Pollan. He's a vegetarian, although not a strict one, so I think he'll enjoy it. Hope so, anyway!


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1815

Gw7en, Voice of Chaos (Classic)

Welcome to my part of the world, Lentilla! smiley - biggrin

*sips smiley - tea*


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1816

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

The birthday party is finally over, all the guests have left, there is peace in my house!


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1817

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

The Commission meets tomorrow morning. I feel as if I have hardly been home in two weeks.


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1818

Lentilla (Keeper of Non-Sequiturs)

Gwen, where you at in Austin? Unfortunately we won't have time for visiting, as we'll be relative-ing...


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1819

Sol

I must confess to have occassionally wondered what front gardens are for. I am beginning to understand that the idea is to have a lot of fun with pure design.


85Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1820

Phil

[p] A damp saturday morning here.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more