A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1041

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Hallo sea! I am bracketed by simulposts! smiley - silly


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1042

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

I was going to say something, but I forgot what it was.

Oh, yes. There's also lemon marmalade.


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1043

Mac (having trouble typing with a pug dog in his lap)

sea, doesn't CA have draconian anti-ferret laws? My understanding was it was the only state that resticts the little guys (irrational fears that they will escape and start a colony).
Remember, never feed ferrets after midnight.

Pet insurance is available everywhere, but it hasn't caught on. Mostly, it's a hedge against catastrophic illness or injury, to avoid the heartbreak of "economic euthenasia."


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1044

Titania (gone for lunch)

I wonder if what we in Sweden call 'marmelad' is closest to marmalade - or jam?smiley - huh Although jam might be what we call 'sylt' which is a bit runnier... and I definitely prefer chunks of the fruit and/or berries used - just smooth plain jello/jelly seems a bit... a bit... artifical - where does the flavour come from?


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1045

Bumblebee

*smiley - handbag belches rather rudely behind the screen and spits out another calling-card*
[-B-]


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1046

Coniraya

There are all sorts of marmelade and there really isn't much difference between them and jam. Usually they are citrus fruits, but recently I've seen onion marmelade that is served with meat. It is not set but sort of gloopy.

We have had a light covering of snow and Cassie smiley - cat is out exploring the changes to her world. I think it is unlikely that she has seen snow before, she approached it very gingerly and couldn't work out what happened to the water in the empty tubs.


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1047

a girl called Ben

Sylt is about the consistency of British Jam, Titania. I have always thought of marmalade as being citron jam, Roses make a fine cut lime marmalade and you can get three fruits marmalade (oranges, lemons and lime). Isn't the Portugese for 'jam' something like 'marmalada'?

The two things I always bring back from Sweden with me are Hjortron Sylt and Kockens Cintronpeppar. In fact you could take away the whole of the rest of my spice-jars so long as you left the Citronpeppar.

Talking of the Portugese, didn't they have a run-in with the EU Commission? - A traditional preserve there is Carrot Jam (which makes sense - carrots have an incredible amount of sugar in them), and the EU have strict regulations about the amount of fruit there must be in a jam for it to be called 'Jam'. And carrots.... etc etc etc.

Going to a Tai Chi class this morning smiley - zen - if I am working from home, I may as well get tehe benefits of cheap fitness!

Ben


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1048

Titania (gone for lunch)

Thanks ben!smiley - smiley Yes, the lemon pepper is very useful - especially on fried salmon, I think...


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1049

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

[Amy]


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1050

Phil

I used to love walking past the marmalade factory near where I grew up (think golliwogs smiley - winkeye) A lovely orangy smell coming from the buildings permeating the air.


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1051

Munchkin

Big fan of Lime Marmalade myself, followed by Apricot Jam. As far as I can see, the name marmalade basically applies to citrus fruits. Any other fruit preserves are jam in my world, with jelly being that stuff kids have. I like my food divisions simple. smiley - smiley


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1052

Blue-Eyed BiPedal BookWorm from Betelgeuse (aka B4[insertpunhere])


smiley - cool B4itakemyTHI&Goff smiley - biggrin


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1053

Gw7en, Voice of Chaos (Classic)

Mmmm... Apricot jam... Only thing better are peach preserves. smiley - winkeye

*feeling better but still not wanting to go to work*

[G7]


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1054

SE

*wonders who will start the next convo.


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1055

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

*also wonders*


very busy


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1056

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

Not me. Did it already.

I cannot stand apricot or peach jelled anything. Come to think of it, I can't stand apricots period, although I love peaches (when they're not jelled).

School's back in, and I can't seem to get into the swing of things. Yikes!


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1057

a girl called Ben

Me neither - I missed most of it!

Apricot Jam? Ptah! Ptarrghh! Spit!!!! Quelle Horreur! You think you are going to get some lovely bitter-sweet marmalade and get yukky slimey suger-suger-suger-sweet stuff. Ptah, I say again!

Actually it is probably quite nice in its own right, it is just I have only ever eaten it thinking it was going to be marmalade.

The Tai Chi doesn't start till next week, so that was a nice walk in the sunshine for no particular outcome, but I am going to join a gym this evening so I can swim and row - the target is three sessions a week and one each weekend, so ask me how I am doing and shame me into keeping it up.

a future fit-person called Ben


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1058

Hypatia

Frank is Portuguese, and I've never heard him ask for carrot jam. Also, I have several Portuguese cookbooks. Carrot jam is missing from all of them. I can't imagine what it would taste like. I thought tomato preserves were weird. smiley - weird Please don't tell me that there is parsnip jam or rutabaga jam.


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1059

Coniraya

I quite like apricot jam, but smiley - strawberry is my favourite, especially on crumpets. smiley - smiley


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1060

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

I've never had carrot jam. I've made onion marmalade a few times though.

On a different matter entirely, I'm submitting a copy of the pantomime's programme to smiley - thepost for publication this week. It's at A920404 and borrows heavily from Lil's Magoose page A904961. I've quoted from Witty Moniker and Carmel Bunny. Is this ok? Have I made any typos?

smiley - ant


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more