A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 901

soeasilyamused, or sea

bwahahahaha!

'twas 80 degrees here in CA today. so nice i wished i had worn shorts.... smiley - devil

still having issues with D. every time i look at him, it's like he has tally marks on his forehead. smiley - cross *sigh*


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 902

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

sea, might I recommend...oh, no, you don't drink, do you.

well, then. um, deep breath, dear.

And yes, wasn't the weather lovely today? I'm rather enjoying it.

*pokes FG in the ribs, and then runs away before she's decked*


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 903

Gw7en, Voice of Chaos (Classic)

*smiley - hug sea*

*looks at notebook* Shoot ard^^^armadillos, pick up tankers, go shopping. Hmmm... Well, hopefully the native guide my companion is providing has a few additional suggestions. After all, I'm pretty sure there are only so many tankers I can bring home with me. smiley - winkeye (I'm kidding, Marv. K-I-D-D-I-N-G. smiley - laugh) Seriously, though, thanks to any and all for suggestions made. I get the feeling that there is a new page in the offing when I get back...

*sips smiley - tea contentedly*


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 904

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

smiley - snowman I wish it was 80 degrees here.


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 905

Coniraya

It is 1.3C here and it was trying to snow when I woke up. Now it is dry with patches of blue visible, sunshine will compensate for the lack of snow for awhile.

Cassie smiley - cat is already desperate for someone to play with. I shall have to give some thoughts to rigging up a smiley - cat gym!


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 906

Hati

It's -20C/-4F here. Expecting -33C/-27F next week.
Please send me woollen socks, I can't knit.


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 907

Titania (gone for lunch)

Could someone explain to me why I'm receiving spam mails with 'Norton' included in the subject, indicating that there is something seriously wrong and I have to take action immediately (I deleted those mails without even bothering to open them) and why these mails only started arriving after I installed Norton anti-virus a week ago? Is there some kind of intention behind these spam mails? (besides just flooding my in box)


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 908

Coniraya

Just checked, T and I have a couple of those too. I have deleted them. If you are still concerned that Norton might have a problem, then check their website. But I doubt it as H would have heard it first through w*rk.


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 909

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

It's just a coincidence Ti. I think they've found that Norton is a good word to get past the spam filters used by the ISPs - blocking that keyword would cause uproar. Most people wouldn't individually filter 'Norton' into the trash either. And they're probably hoping to ride on the coattails of Norton's 'reponsible' reputation. It's a name that people trust so they're more likely to open the email.

Spam is exploding just now. If you've got an address that can be guessed by a super-computer armed with every dictionary, telephone directory and book of children's names in the world, you're going to get spammed.

Incidentally, another spamming trick is that they send an email saying that someone fancies you and has left a loving message or ecard which you can pick up from a certain website. On that website they invite you to guess who has sent you the message by typing in the email addresses of your friends and associates until you get bored. They collect the addresses, repeat the scam on them and also sell the collection to the big spamming companies in Mexico and China.

I would like to strangle whoever it was that typed my amytheant address into such a website. I can't imagine which deluded fool thought I might leave them a loving note smiley - monster.


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 910

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence


I'm getting all sorts of spam off my thoroughly compromised sprynet address -- the ones I hate actually threaten me about an overdue bill or an error on my phone bill, the kind of thing you can't NOT look at. smiley - grr And someone is harvesting yahoogroups addresses, too.

My local ISP's spam filter functions very effectively and I almost never get spam from them. They use Postini.

Off to work. See you all later.


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 911

Phil

Been out for a short walk in the snow earlier to take some pictures. Now I've got to go and get them developed, hope they turn out OK.
Saw some kids out playing with sledges going downhill. Might have to speak to my sister and get them to take the kids out (and me) with a sledge smiley - biggrin

One of the christmas pressies I got was a book about what to see in the night sky throughout 2003, it's come in usefull already.
We went out to try and see some Quantrid meteors last night, managed to see one before we got too cold and it had clouded over too much. Still managed to get a good look at the orion nebula and the andromeda galaxy (faint fuzzy patches through the big binoculars) as well as jupiter and saturn. Tonight (if I remember at the right time) I'll be out comet hunting smiley - smiley


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 912

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC

Poor Sporky. Last night the prediciton was for nearly 2 feet of snow in New England. Mac must have a lot too. I only had a light dusting, and lots of rain.
smiley - dog


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 913

Hypatia

We have a beautiful sunny morning. It's a little chilly, but I can take cold as long as the sun is out. smiley - smiley

Spam is really getting out of hand. Has anyone tried the software that is supposed to stop it? I heard about it but cvan't remember what it's called. smiley - erm


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 914

marvthegrate LtG KEA

Most of the software that stops spam is used on the server and not client side of the equation. I take some measures to rid myself of spam. If there is an optout on the mail I will follow itand opt out. If it is bogus I will block the address with a filter. If it persists I tend to start taking real action to ferret out the scumbag ass that is sending it to me in the first place. There is some forensics that can be done to tell the true sender of the spam, but some spammers will forge headers and abuse open relays. That is when you get your ISP involved. They hate spam as much as you do (Or they should) and will often take measures. They can get the spammers ISP put on a blacklist and no traffic will come from them.


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 915

Gw7en, Voice of Chaos (Classic)

Morning, all. smiley - smiley

I have an address set aside specifically for all the sites that ask you to include one for whatever reason. This gives me a chance to just come along once a week, delete everything and be done with it, without getting my main mail involved.

*sips smiley - tea and tries to ignore the fact that she needs to start cleaning the apartment soon*


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 916

Coniraya

So far I've only had spam sent to my hotmail and yahoo accounts. I don't know if the ISP or our firewall stops the ones to our company domain name, but I get virtually zero spam to that address.


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 917

Hati

I don't get any spam on my latest yahoo account. Maybe it's because I never type it anywhere online in one piece. My old account is overloaded with spam. smiley - erm


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 918

Gw7en, Voice of Chaos (Classic)

Very nice, Caer. smiley - smiley Here's hoping it stays that way. *crosses fingers*


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 919

marvthegrate LtG KEA

My work address and home address are both fairly spam free, but my hotmail account goes through cycles of bad spam followed by nothing at all.


57Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 920

Courtesy38

Courtesy *basking in 85 F weather smiley - winkeye*


Key: Complain about this post