Once upon a time this was a very ambitious project to create some diverse biographical entries for the guide. Due to general organisation and time-management issues and specific internet access issues on behalf of the organiser, it was unfortunately abandoned, but not before some really spectacular entries were completed.
'Done Too Soon' appeared on Neil Diamond's 1970 release 'Tap Root Manuscript'. The lyrics are primarily a list of people throughout modern history who were 'done too soon', either having been killed while still very young (comparatively), or having passed away after having made a significant contribution to the progression of history. You can hear the song (and see a nifty graphic display) here.
Listed below are the 25 people included in the song. For the biographies that have been written there are links to the Edited Entries (where appropriate), those published in The Post and The Underguide. Those that have been written but not published in other areas of the site are linked to the author's orignial entry. The names not linked have yet to be written, and are fair game to any interested parties. If anyone takes on a subject and would like a nifty link to your completed work, just drop a line below with a link to your completed entry1.
And each one there
Has one thing shared
They have sweated beneath the same sun
Looked up in wonder at the same moon
And wept when it was all done
For bein' done too soon.
'Done Too Soon'
- Jesus Christ - b.~4 BC d.~30 AD age ~34 -- Opti
- Fanny Brice (edited) - b.1891 d.1951 age 59 -- broelan
- Wolfie (Wolfgang Amadeus) Mozart (edited) - b.1756 d.1791 age 35 -- Dr Prunesquallor, also Mozart's Death (edited) by Farlander seems relevant...
- Humphrey Bogart - b.1899 d.1957 age 56
- Genghis Khan - b.1162 d.1227 age 65
- H G Wells - b.1866 d.1946 age 80
- Ho Chi Minh (edited) - b.1890 d.1969 age 79 -- John-the-gardener
- Gunga Din (edited) - poem by R Kipling -- Phred
- Henry Luce - b.1898 d.1967 age 69 -- Opti
- John Wilkes Booth - b.1838 d.1865 age 27
- Alexander King - b.1899 d.1965 age 66
- Alexander Graham Bell - b.1847 d.1922 age 75
- Ramakrishna (edited) - wrote Bhagavatha -- John-the-gardener
- Mama Whistler (The Post 4-5-06) - painting by James Abbot McNeill Whistler -- Pinniped
- Patrice Lumumba (edited) - b.1925 d.1961 age 36 -- John-the-gardener
- Russ Columbo - b.1908 d.1934 age 26 -- Opti
- Karl Marx - b.1818 d.1883 age 65 -- Flinch and Not Banned Yet
- Chico Marx - b.1887 d.1961 age 74 -- Community entry on the Marx Brothers
- Albert Camus - b.1913 d.1960 age 47
- E A Poe - b.1809 d.1849 age 40
- Henri Rousseau (The Post 4-5-06) - b.1844 d.1910 age 66 -- Pinniped
- Sholom Aleichem (edited) - b.1859 d.1916 age 57 -- Hell
- Caryl Chessman (edited) - b.1921 d.1960 age 39 -- John-the-gardener
- Alan Freed (edited) - b.1921 d.1965 age 44 -- Shagbark
- Buster Keaton - b.1895 d.1966 age 71