The Ultimate DisneyToon Studios Animated Film Guide: 2004-2005 Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

The Ultimate DisneyToon Studios Animated Film Guide: 2004-2005

0 Conversations

The Ultimate Disney MovieToons & DisneyToon Studios Animated Film Guide
1990-1999 | 2000-2003 | 2004-2005 | 2006-2009 | 2010-2015
DVDs in front of the Castle at EuroDisney

Between 1990 and 2015 the Walt Disney Company had two animation studios using the Disney name. The prestigious Walt Disney Animation Studios, the one everyone remembers, makes films classed as 'Walt Disney Classics'. The second animation studio, DisneyToon Studios, headed by Sharon Morrill, the most senior woman at Disney, both adapted Disney's popular television cartoon series and made direct-to-video sequels to recent Walt Disney Animation Studios films. Occasionally their films were released in cinemas.

DisneyToon Studios had launched in 1990 as Disney MovieToons, a division of Disney Television Animation that also used the Disney Video Premieres brand for direct-to-video productions. As well as films, they had released television compilations and abandoned animation projects that Disney Television Animation had rejected. These met with commercial success but lost the studio credibility.

In 2003 Disney MovieToons became a division of Walt Disney Features. This decision would mean that only one more of their films would contain material originally made for television and would improve the quality of their output. It was still led by Sharon Morrill. The division gained a new name: DisneyToon Studios. Disney Television Animation continued to release direct-to-video features, but now under their own label.

The Films

Below is a summary of the films made by DisneyToon Studios during this period. Recurring characters and actors are shown in Bold. Please note that Disney use both numbers and Roman numerals interchangeably, so that a film titled 'II' on screen may have '2' on the front cover of home media releases and vice versa. Also mentioned is whether the films pass the The Bechdel Test (this can be summarised as whether the film involves two or more named female characters who have a conversation together that does not include or mention any male characters). The film's European runtime is also included1.

24. The Lion King 3: Hakuna Matata (2004)

DirectorBradley Raymond
ReleaseDirect-to-Video
PlotTimon and Pumbaa are watching The Lion King in the cinema but Timon only wants to see the bits he is in. Pumbaa then suggests that they watch their own story. A young and accident-prone Timon leaves his meerkat colony to follow the guidance of Rafiki and find 'Hakuna Matata'. Accompanied by new acquaintance Pumbaa they search for a new home, but everywhere they go there is singing and dancing as they are on the outskirts of the events of the first film. Will Timon admit that Pumbaa is not merely an accomplice but a friend, will they be able to raise a lonely lion cub and, when he becomes an adult, will they stop him from feeling the love tonight?
Length73 minutes
SettingAfrican Pride Lands and surrounding area
Animation TypeCel
InspirationHamlet (c 1599) by William Shakespeare and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead (1966)
Characters
  • Timon, a meerkat (Nathan Lane)
  • Pumbaa, a warthog (Ernie Sabella)
  • Simba, a lion (Adult: Matthew Broderick, Cub: Matt Weinberg)
  • Ma, Timon's mother (Julie Kavner)
  • Uncle Max, Timon's eccentric uncle (Jerry Stiller)
  • Nala, a lioness (Moira Kelly)
  • Rafiki, a mysterious, mischievous mandrill (Robert Guillaume)
  • Shenzi, Benzai & Ed, hyenas (Whoopi Goldberg, Cheech Marin & Jim Cummings)
  • Zazu, a hornbill (Edward Hibbert)
Songs:Written by Tim Rice and Elton John unless stated:
  • 'Grazing in the Grass' by Harry J Listopn and Philemon Hou
  • 'Digga Tunnah' by Martin Erskine and Seth Friedman
  • 'That's All I Need'
  • 'Hakuna Matata'
  • 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight' by Solomon Linda
  • 'Jungle Boogie' by Robert Bell, Ronald Bell, Donald Boyce, George Brown, Robert Mickens, Claydes Smith, Dennis Thomas and Richard Westfield
  • 'The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly' by Ennio Morricone
  • 'Sunrise, Sunset' by Jerry Bock and Sheldon Harnick
  • 'Circle of Life'
  • 'Can You Feel the Love Tonight'
Spin Off Of
  • The Lion King (1994) – 10 years earlier
BechdelFail

Also known as The Lion King 1½, this is a fun, light-hearted midquel2 to the original film. It presents many of the same events from a new, humorous perspective and contains several cameos and jokes. The characters are all voiced by the original actors except Rowan Atkinson does not play Zazu and the young Simba is not voiced by Jonathan Taylor Thomas, whose voice had aged in the previous decade.

25. Winnie the Pooh: Springtime with Roo (2004)

DirectorsElliot M Bour & Saul Andrew Blinkoff
ReleaseDirect-to-Video
PlotRabbit stops his friends from celebrating Easter, replacing it with 'Spring Cleaning Day' and ordering his friends to tidy his house for him. When Roo believes Rabbit has forgotten Easter and decorates his house, Rabbit flies into a towering rage. The Narrator takes Rabbit back in the past to the previous Easter when he was proud to be the Easter Bunny but, after bossing the others around, was hurt when Roo called the fun-loving Tigger the best Easter Bunny. The Narrator then takes him to the present and Roo's room, where Roo wishes that Rabbit will experience the joys of Easter, and then into a future where all Rabbit's friends, fed up with being bossed about, have left the Hundred Aker Wood. Can Rabbit change his ways and learn the true meaning of Easter, and will Eeyore get to wear fluffy bunny ears?
Length62 minutes
SettingHundred Aker Wood, Ashdown Forest, Sussex
Animation TypeCel
InspirationA Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, AA Milne's books Winnie-the-Pooh (1926) and The House at Pooh Corner (1928)
Characters
  • Rabbit (Ken Sansom)
  • Roo (Jimmy Bennett)
  • Winnie the Pooh (Jim Cummings)
  • Tigger (Jim Cummings)
  • Kanga (Kath Soucie)
  • Eeyore (Peter Cullen)
  • Piglet (John Fiedler, singing: Jeff Bennett)
MusicComposed by John Kavanaugh unless stated:
  • 'We're Huntin' Eggs Today'
  • 'Sniffly Sniff' words by Tom Rogers, music by John Kavanaugh
  • 'Easter Day With You'
  • 'The Way It Must Be Done' by Randy Rogel and Grant Geissman
  • 'The Grandest Easter of Them All' by Randy Rogel and Grant Geissman
Spin Off Of
  • The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1977), comprising:
    • Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree (1966)
    • Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day (1968)
    • Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Too (1974)
BechdelFail

What the Dickens? This film is a remake of A Christmas Carol, focussing on Rabbit as Scrooge and with Roo in the role of Tiny Tim. Owl and Christopher Robin do not appear. Nikita Hopkins was replaced by Jimmy Bennett as Roo.

26. Mickey, Donald, Goofy: The Three Musketeers (2004)

DirectorDonovan Cook
ReleaseDirect-to-Video
PlotClumsy janitors Mickey, Donald and Goofy dream of being musketeers, but Pete, the Captain of the Musketeers, believes they are completely incompetent. Pete is secretly plotting to usurp Princess Minnie's throne and so appoints the three to be her musketeer protectors. Will Minnie find her one true love? Will Pete become king? Who will cut the cheese? With the three musketeers at hand it is one for all and two for tea!
Length65 minutes
Setting17th Century France
Animation TypeCel
InspirationThe Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas (1844)
Characters
  • Mickey Mouse (Wayne Allwine)
  • Donald Duck (Tony Anselmo)
  • Goofy (Bill Farmer)
  • Pluto (Bill Farmer)
  • Princess Minnie Mouse (Russi Taylor)
  • Daisy Duck (Tress MacNeille)
  • Captain Pegleg Pete (Jim Cummings)
  • Lieutenant Clarabelle Cow (April Winchell)
  • The Beagle Boys, bad guys (Jeff Bennett and Maurice LaMarche)
  • Troubadour, turtle narrator (Rob Paulsen)
MusicNew lyrics by Chris Otsuki to classical music and operetta:
  • 'All for One And One For All' music from Jacques Offenbach's 'Orpheus In the Underworld'
  • 'Love So Lovely' music from Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky's 'Nutcracker' and 'Romeo and Juliet'
  • 'Sweet Wings Of Love' music from Johann Strauss' 'The Blue Danube'
  • 'Petey's King Of France' music from Edvard Grieg's 'In The Hall Of the Mountain King'
  • 'Chains Of Love' music from Georges Bizet's 'Habanera' from Carmen
  • 'This Is The End' music from Ludwig van Beethoven's 'Symphony No 5 in C Minor'
  • 'L'Opera' music from Gilbert & Sullivan's The Pirates of Penzance including 'With Cat-like Tread', 'Poor Wandering One' and 'I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major-General', and the Overture from Princess Ida
BechdelFail

Unusually Mickey, Donald, Goofy: Three Musketeers isn't a spin-off or sequel to an existing film or television series. Instead it was the first feature-length Disney film starring Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and Goofy3. This also marks a return of Pegleg Pete's wooden leg.

27. Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas (2004)

DirectorMatthew O'Callaghan
ReleaseDirect-to-Video
PlotFive Christmas stories about love and friendship.
Component Parts
  • Belles on Ice
    Minnie Mouse and Daisy Duck let their competitive natures threaten their friendship when each tries to outdo the other in an ice-skating competition.

  • Christmas: Impossible
    Huey, Dewey and Louie Duck, realising how naughty they've been, travel from their Uncle Scrooge's mansion to the North Pole in order to write their names on Santa's good list, yet cause chaos and destruction. Will they destroy Christmas for all?

  • Christmas Maximus
    Max brings his girlfriend Mona home from university to meet his father, Goofy, and is constantly embarrassed and humiliated by his father.

  • Donald's Gift
    All Donald wants is some peace and quiet and a huge cup of hot chocolate but, forced to go Christmas shopping, he is bombarded by noise, particularly the never-ending song 'We Wish You a Merry Christmas', until he reaches breaking point.

  • Mickey's Dog-Gone Christmas
    After Pluto inadvertently destroys all the Christmas decorations, Mickey gets angry and shouts at him. Pluto decides to run away, reaching the North Pole where Santa's reindeer decide to adopt him as a pet.

Length64 minutes
SettingDisney fictional towns of Duckburg and Spoonerville, turn of 21st Century
Animation TypeComputer Animation
Characters
  • Mickey Mouse (Wayne Allwine)
  • Donald Duck (Tony Anselmo)
  • Goofy and Pluto (Bill Farmer)
  • Minnie Mouse (Russi Taylor)
  • Huey, Dewey and Louie (Russi Taylor)
  • Daisy Duck (Tress MacNeille)
  • Scrooge McDuck (Alan Young)
  • Max (Jason Marsden)
  • Mona, Max's girlfriend (Kellie Martin)
  • Santa Claus (Chuck McCann)
  • Donner & Blitzen, reindeer (Jeff Bennett and Jim Cummings)
  • Narrator (Clive Revill)
Music
  • 'Share this Day' by Danny Jacob and Matt Bissonette
  • 'Belles on Ice' by Mark Watters
  • 'Make Me Look Good' by Jim Wise
Spin Off Of
  • 'Christmas: Impossible' based on television series DuckTales (1987-90)
  • 'Christmas Maximus' based on television series Goof Troop (1992-3)
BechdelPass

Although a sequel to Once Upon a Christmas (1999) there are several changes: for example Huey, Dewey and Louie live in a different house and Mickey and Minnie's financial situation and homes have completely changed. Jason Marsden replaces Shaun Fleming as Max Goof, who is about ten years older than in Once Upon a Christmas. Kellie Martin, who plays Mona, had previously played Roxanne in A Goofy Movie (1995). Like many Disney films this has a traditional 'book beginning' sequence, but in this case it is a pop-up book.

This is the first computer-animated film by DisneyToon, and except for Mickey and Donald, all the Disney characters appear in CGI for the first time4. Once again there are numerous references to other Disney films, which rewards multiple viewing. 'Belles on Ice' features the alligators and hippos from Fantasia (1940). At the North Pole the SC logo that Huey, Dewey and Louie see had first been used in Disney's The Santa Clause trilogy.

28. Mulan II (2005)

DirectorsDarrell Rooney and Lynne Southerland
ReleaseDirect-to-Video
PlotThe Emperor of China urgently seeks an alliance with Qui Gong to prevent the Mongols from destroying China. To cement this, his three daughters must marry Lord Qin's three sons. Mulan and General Shang, newly engaged, are ordered to escort the Emperor's daughters to their wedding, but en-route the daughters all fall in love with their escorts, soldiers Yao, Ling and Chien-Po. Meanwhile Mushu learns that he will no longer be an official family guardian if Mulan marries Li Shang as Mulan would become a member of the Li family. In order to avoid losing his position and privileges, Mushu tries to sabotage the journey to break Mulan and Shang apart.
Length75 minutes
SettingAncient China, a month after Mulan.
Animation TypeCel
InspirationBallad of Mulan, traditional Chinese Ballad
Characters
  • Fa Mulan (Ming-Na Wen)
  • Mushu, Mulan's dragon guardian (Mark Moseley)
  • General Li Shang (BD Wong)
  • Yao, soldier in love with Princess Mei (Harvey Fierstein)
  • Ling, soldier in love with Princess Ting-Ting (Gedde Watanabe)
  • Chien-Po, soldier in love with Princess Su (Jerry Tondo)
  • Princess Mei (Lucy Liu)
  • Princess Ting-Ting (Sandra Oh)
  • Princess Su (Lauren Tom)
  • Emperor of China (Pat Morita)
  • First Ancestor Fa (George Takei)
  • Grandmother Fa (June Foray)
  • Fa Zhou, Mulan's father (Soon-Tek Oh)
  • Fa Li, Mulan's mother (Freda Foh Shen)
  • Cri-Kee, Mulan's lucky cricket (Frank Welker)
MusicMusic by Jeanine Tesori, lyrics by Alexa Junge unless stated:
  • 'Lesson Number One'
  • 'A Girl Worth Fighting For' music by Matthew Wilder, original lyrics by David Zippel, new lyrics by Alexa Junge
  • ' (I Wanna Be) Like Other Girls'
  • 'Here Beside Me'
Spin Off Of
  • Mulan (1998) – 7 years earlier
BechdelPass

A fairly superfluous film that seems to exist largely to emphasise that Mulan is not a princess by showing the audience three young women who are princesses. The voice cast remains impressive, although Eddie Murphy did not return to voice Mushu as he was under an exclusive contract for DreamWorks Animation following Shrek 2.

29. Pooh's Heffalump Movie (2005)

DirectorsFrank Nissen
ReleaseCinema
PlotThe Hundred Aker Woods has been visited by Heffalumps (elephants). Rabbit encourages the others to fear the Heffalumps for being different. They decide to have an 'expotition' into Heffalump Hollow to catch a Heffalump. After they tell Roo he cannot go with them, Roo goes on ahead. He catches and befriends a young Heffalump named Lumpy. Are all the stories he has heard about Heffalumps true?
Length65 minutes
SettingHundred Aker Wood, Ashdown Forest, Sussex
Animation TypeCel
InspirationAA Milne's books Winnie-the-Pooh (1926) and The House at Pooh Corner (1928)
Characters
  • Winnie-the-Pooh, bear of very little brain (Jim Cummings)
  • Tigger, bouncy and enthusiastic tiger (Jim Cummings)
  • Roo, young unprejudiced kangaroo (Nikita Hopkins)
  • Lumpy, a Heffalump whose full name is Heffridge Trumpler Brompet Heffalump IV (Kyle Stanger)
  • Eeyore, depressed donkey (Peter Cullen)
  • Rabbit, bossy bunny (Ken Sansom)
  • Piglet, small, nervous pig (John Fiedler)
  • Kanga, kangaroo mother (Kath Soucie)
  • Mamma Heffalump (Brenda Blethyn)
MusicComposed by Carly Simon unless stated:
  • 'Winnie the Pooh' by the Sherman Brothers (Richard M and Robert B Sherman)
  • 'The Horribly Hazardous Heffalumps!' music by Carly Simon, lyrics by Brian Hohlfeld
  • 'Little Mr Roo'
  • 'The Name Game' by Carly Simon and Brian Hohlfeld
  • 'Shoulder to Shoulder'
  • 'In the Name of the Hundred Acre Wood'
  • 'What Do You Do?'
Spin Off Of
  • The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1977), comprising:
    • Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree (1966)
    • Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day (1968)
    • Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Too (1974)
BechdelFail

This film does not feature Christopher Robin or Owl. Heffalumps had first appeared in the 'Heffalumps and Woozles' song in Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day and 'The Horribly Hazardous Heffalumps' song is animated in the same style. One of the Heffalump traps made features a life-ring from HMS Ashdown, named after Ashdown Forest that inspired the Winnie-the-Pooh stories. Despite its cinematic release, it had a disappointing performance at the US box office, being only the 8th highest-grossing animated film of the year5. This led to the next Winnie-the-Pooh film being direct-to-video rather than a cinematic adventure.

30. Tarzan II (2005)

DirectorBrian Smith
ReleaseDirect-to-Video
PlotYoung Tarzan was adopted by apes as a baby. Realising he is unable to be as strong or as fast as an ape, he runs away believing his family will be better off without him. On Dark Mountain he encounters an old ape who masquerades as a monster called Zugor to stay safe and secure; however, an aggressive family of apes threatens his territory. Will Zugor help Tarzan realise that he is an individual with his own talents and abilities?
Length68 minutes
SettingDeep in the Edwardian jungle of Africa
Animation TypeCel animation
Characters
  • Tarzan, human orphan raised by apes (Harrison Chad)
  • Kala, his adopted gorilla mother (Glenn Close)
  • Terk, his gorilla best-friend (Brenda Grate)
  • Tantor, an elephant (Harrison Fahn
  • Zugor, old hermit ape (George Carlin)
  • Mama Gunda, mother of Uto and Kago (Estelle Harris)
  • Uto and Kago, aggressive gorillas (Brad Garrett and Ron Perlman)
  • Kerchak, a gorilla (Lance Henriksen)
SourceTarzan of the Apes (1912) by Edgar Rice Burroughs
Songs:By Phil Collins
  • 'Son of Man'
  • 'Leaving Home (Find My Way)'
  • 'Who Am I?'
Spin Off Of
  • Tarzan (1999) – 6 years earlier
BechdelFail

This prequel film is known as both Tarzan II and Tarzan 2 and thus is the third film in Disney's animated Tarzan series - feature-length animation Tarzan & Jane (2002) had been produced by Walt Disney Television Animation from three unaired episodes of the series The Legend of Tarzan. Only Tarzan's ape parents are played by the original cast; all other characters are played by new actors. Despite this, Phil Collins again provides the songs.

31. Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch Has a Glitch (2005)

DirectorsMichael LaBash & Tony Leondis
ReleaseDirect-to-Video
PlotIn the lead-up to Lilo's hula competition, Stitch is having nightmares about turning evil and going on a murderous rampage. He starts to experience blackouts where he loses all control over his behaviour during the day, destroying everything in sight. While this puts a strain on Lilo and Stitch's relationship, Jumba realises that Stitch's behaviour is a symptom of a larger problem. When Stitch was created, his molecules were not charged. They are now on the point of exhaustion, which will result in Stitch's death.
Length65 minutes
SettingEarly 21st Century, in Space and on the Hawaiian island Kaua'i
Animation TypeCel
Characters
  • Stitch, aka Experiment 626 (Christopher Michael Sanders)
  • Lilo Pelekai, a young girl who considers Stich her pet/best-friend/'ohana (Dakota Fanning)
  • Nani Pelekai, Lilo's older sister (Tia Carrere)
  • Dr Jumba Jookiba, Stitch's mad scientist creator (David Ogden Stiers)
  • Pleakley, alien assigned to watch over Stitch (Kevin McDonald)
  • David Kawena6, Nani's boyfriend (Jason Scott Lee)
  • Moses Pulok, Lilo's hula tutor (Kunewa Mook)
  • Mertle Edmonds, Lilo's spoilt and unfriendly classmate (Liliana Mumy)
Songs
  • 'I Need Your Love Tonight' by Sid Wayne, Bickley Reichner
  • 'Rubberneckin' by Dory Jones and Bunny Warren
  • 'A Little Less Conversation (JXL Radio Edit Remix)' by Billy Strange and Scott Davis
  • 'Always' music by Jeanine Tesori, lyrics by Alexa Junge
  • 'Hawaiian Rollercoaster Ride' by Alan Silvestri and Mark Keali'i Ho'omalu
Spin Off Of
  • Lilo & Stitch (2002) – 3 years earlier
BechdelPass

Lilo & Stitch was one of the few Disney success stories from the first five years of the 21st Century and so was a natural choice for DisneyToon Studios to adapt, keeping most of the original cast although Daveigh Chase was replaced by Dakota Fanning as Lilo.

While this was being made, Walt Disney Television Animation also made two feature-length direct-to-video productions that opened and closed their Lilo & Stitch: The Series television show. Stitch! The Movie was released in 2003, making Lilo & Stitch 2 the third Lilo and Stitch film. Leroy and Stitch was released in 2006. Neither of these films have any impact on Lilo & Stitch 2, which can best be considered to take place before Stitch: The Movie.

32. Pooh's Heffalump Halloween Movie (2005)

DirectorsElliot M Bour & Saul Andrew Blinkoff
ReleaseDirect-to-Video
Component Parts
  1. Pooh's Heffalump Halloween Movie
    It is Lumpy's first ever Halloween. Although he is scared of Spookables, Woozles and Jagulars, he and Roo are looking forward to apple bobbing, drinking cider and trick or treating to get lots of sweets. When Pooh eats all the treats, Roo and Lumpy decide that the only way they can save Halloween is to capture the Gobloon, the scariest Spookable of all – if they catch it they can have a wish granted, but if the Gobloon catches them, they will be turned into a 'jaggedy-lantern' jack-o'-lantern.

  2. Boo To You Too! Winnie-the-Pooh
    Can Piglet overcome his fear and celebrate Halloween with his friends? And if not, will his friends celebrate without him?

Length63 minutes
SettingHundred Aker Wood, Ashdown Forest, Sussex
Animation TypeCel
InspirationAA Milne's books Winnie-the-Pooh (1926) and The House at Pooh Corner (1928)
Characters
  • Roo, young kangaroo and Lumpy's best friend (Jimmy Bennett)
  • Lumpy, a young, nervous Heffalump (Kyle Stanger)
  • Winnie-the-Pooh, bear of very little brain (Jim Cummings)
  • Tigger, bouncy and enthusiastic tiger (Jim Cummings)
  • Eeyore, depressed donkey (Peter Cullen)
  • Rabbit, bossy bunny (Ken Sansom)
  • Piglet, small, nervous pig (John Fiedler & Travis Oates)
  • Kanga, kangaroo mother of Roo and the only female character (Kath Soucie)
  • Gofur, a gopher (Michael Gough)
  • Narrator (David Ogden Stiers)
MusicComposed by Michael Silversher and Patty Silversher unless stated:
  • 'Winnie the Pooh' by the Sherman Brothers (Richard M and Robert B Sherman)
  • 'As Long As I'm Here With You' music by Mark Watters, lyrics by Lorraine Feather
  • 'Trick Or Treating With Our Friends
  • 'Brave Together'
  • 'I Wanna Scare Myself!'
  • 'I Am Not Afraid'
Spin Off Of
  • The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1977), comprising:
    • Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree (1966)
    • Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day (1968)
    • Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Too (1974)
BechdelFail

This film combines the 1996 television special Boo to You Too! Winnie the Pooh with new footage featuring the character of Lumpy. The earlier footage is explained narratively as a tale told by Roo to Lumpy, even though Boo To You Too! Winnie the Pooh did not feature Roo. In the earlier film Pooh said he was scared of Heffalumps as well as Woozles and Jagulars; for this version in which Lumpy the Heffalump is a main character, 'Spookables' was dubbed in.

This film does not feature Christopher Robin or Owl and only briefly features Gofur in the archive footage. The characters in this film are shown drinking cider, or to put it another way, Lumpy downs Scrumpy, despite being underage7. This was the last time Piglet was played by John Fiedler, who had played the role since Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day in 1968. As Fiedler passed away before the film was finished Travis Oates recorded the remaining lines. Coincidentally Fiedler died the day after Paul Winchell, the original voice of Tigger.

33. Kronk's New Groove (2005)

DirectorsElliot M Bour & Saul Andrew Blinkoff
ReleaseDirect-to-Video
PlotKronk's father, who has never been proud of him, is coming to visit. Kronk is ashamed of his life as he hasn't achieved the goals his father set for him of having a big house on a hill and settling down and getting married. Instead Kronk has concentrated on making those around him happy while working as a chef and delivery boy in a restaurant and being the troop leader of the Junior Chipmunks. Each of Kronk's friends decide to help him impress his father during the visit by impersonating his wife.
Length72 minutes
SettingAncient Incan civilisation
Animation TypeCel
Characters
  • Kronk, former henchman turned chef (Patrick Warburton)
  • Miss Birdwell, Chipmunk troop leader and love interest (Tracey Ullman)
  • Yzma, evil catwoman trying to rule the world (Eartha Kitt)
  • Emperor Kuzco (David Spade)
  • Pacha, happily-married peasant (John Goodman)
  • Chicha, Pacha's wife (Wendie Malick)
  • Papi, Kronk's father (John Mahoney)
  • Rudy, old man (John Fiedler)
  • Bucky, a squirrel (Bob Bergen)
Music
  • 'Let's Groove' by Maurice White and Wayne Vaughn
  • 'Be True To Your Groove' by Peter Lurye
  • 'Feel Like A Million' by Jeanine Tesori
  • 'Camp Chippamunka' by Randy Petersen and Kevin Quinn
  • 'This Land' by Hans Zimmer and Lebo M
  • 'It's a Small World' by Richard M Sherman and Robert B Sherman
Spin Off Of
  • The Emperor's New Groove (2000) – 5 years earlier
BechdelNarrow Pass

This is the first DisneyToons Studio direct-to-video film where all the main cast from the original film reprise their role, including John Fiedler as old man Rudy - he died shortly afterwards. Eartha Kitt is a singer who had played Catwoman in the 1967 series of Batman; in tribute her character Yzma had been turned into a cat at the end of The Emperor's New Groove and in this film she appears as part cat, part human. Kronk briefly has his own miniature railway, just like Walt Disney himself.

The Future

Over the next few years DisneyToon Studios would continue to make numerous sequels to Walt Disney Animation Studios Classic films. By the end of the decade they would also move away from traditional cel animation and towards computer animation.

1There are different video standards – NTSC in America, which has 525 scan lines and 30 frames per second (fps) and PAL in most of Europe (except France, which uses SECAM) with 625 scan lines and 25fps. When converted from film NTSC duplicates every fourth frame to compensate for the higher frame rate while PAL does not, meaning that unedited films released in Europe are 4% shorter than the same unedited film in America; a film with a 100-minute runtime in the US is 96 minutes long in Europe.2A sequel is set after the original film, a prequel is set before the original film and a midquel is set during, or in the middle of, the events of the film it is based on.3The previous attempt Mickey and the Beanstalk was only half-completed due to Disney's financial crisis and was released with Bongo to make the ninth official Disney Animated Classic, Fun and Fancy Free (1947).4Mickey had appeared in Muppet*vision 3-D (1991) and both he and Donald Duck were in Mickey's PhilharMagic (2003), both attractions at Walt Disney World, Florida.5After DreamWorks' Madagascar, Disney's Chicken Little, Blue Sky's Robots, Aardman's Wallce & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, Laika's Corpse Bride, Blue Yonder Films' Hoodwinked! and Vanguard Animation's Valiant.6Who wears a fishhook similar to Maui's in Moana (2016).7In US English, 'cider' refers to apple juice, whereas in UK English 'cider' contains alcohol. The Winnie-the-Pooh films are set in a fictional version of England.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Edited Entry

A87956626

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more