The Ultimate DisneyToon Studios Animated Film Guide: 2006-2009 Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

The Ultimate DisneyToon Studios Animated Film Guide: 2006-2009

0 Conversations

The Ultimate Disney MovieToons & DisneyToon Studios Animated Film Guide
1990-1999 | 2000-2003 | 2004-2005 | 2006-2009 | 2010-2015
DVDs in front of the Castle at DisneyWorld

Between 1990 and 2015 the Walt Disney Company had two animation studios using the Disney name. The prestigious Walt Disney Animation Studios, the one everyone remembers, makes films classed as 'Walt Disney Classics', while the other animation studio, DisneyToon Studios (headed by Sharon Morrill, the most senior woman at Disney) both adapted Disney's popular television cartoon series and made direct-to-video sequels to Walt Disney Animation Studios films. Occasionally their films were released in cinemas.

DisneyToon Studios had launched in 1990 as Disney MovieToons, a division of Disney Television Animation. Despite some successes, it had also released compilations and abandoned animation projects that Disney Television Animation had rejected. In 2003 DisneyToon Studios was transferred from being a division of Walt Disney Television Animation to being a division of Walt Disney Feature Animation. This decision meant that only one more of their films would contain material originally made for television and the quality of their output would improve.

In the early 2000s, Disney seemed to have lost direction. Many of Walt Disney Feature Animation's films had flopped, including Fantasia 2000 (2000), Dinosaur (2000), Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001), Treasure Planet (2002), Home on the Range (2004) and Chicken Little (2005). Rather than making sequels to Disney's recent financial failures, DisneyToon Studios had instead turned to making adaptations of Disney's earlier, successful films. This had attracted criticism from those who felt that making a sequel 50 or 60 years later without any involvement from those who had made the original film cheapened, exploited and detracted from the original.

Making a successful animated film is a commercial art form. While the Walt Disney Animation Studios' prime purpose is to make a profit, it has also continuously pushed the boundaries of what is possible in animation. DisneyToon Studios' focus, however, seemed purely commercial to the total exclusion of the art. Particularly as its President Sharon Morrill had a background in business, not art or animation.

The Films

Below is a summary of the films made by DisneyToon Studios during this period. Recurring characters and actors are shown in Bold. Please note that Disney use both numbers and Roman numerals interchangeably, so that a film titled 'II' on screen may have '2' on the front cover of home media releases and vice versa. Also mentioned is whether the films pass the Bechdel Test (this can be summarised as whether the film involves two or more named female characters who have a conversation together that does not include or mention any male characters). The film's European runtime is also included1.

34. Bambi II (2006)

DirectorBrian Pimental
ReleaseDirect-to-Video
PlotImmediately after his mother's death, Bambi, a male fawn, spends time with his father, the Great Prince of the Forest. Yet the Great Prince is only looking after Bambi until he finds a suitable doe to raise him.
Length69 minutes
SettingA forest (with porcupine, skunks and groundhogs) in the 20th Century, opening on Groundhog Day, the day after Bambi's mother was shot.
Animation TypeCel
InspirationFelix Salten's novel Bambi, Eine Lebensgeschichte aus dem Walde (Bambi, A Life in the Woods) (1923)
Characters
  • Bambi, young prince of the forest and fawn (Alexander Gould)
  • Great Prince of the Forest, Bambi's father (Sir Patrick Stewart)
  • Thumper, Bambi's best friend and rabbit (Brendon Baerg)
  • Flower, a skunk (Nicky Jones)
  • Faline, a female fawn (Andrea Brown)
  • Ronno, egotistical deer and Bambi's slightly older rival (Anthony Ghannam)
  • Friend Owl (Keith Ferguson)
  • Thumper's sisters (Makenna Cowgill, Emma Rose Lima, Ariel Winter)
  • Mena, doe that may adopt Bambi (Cree Summer)
MusicMusic by Frank Churchill, Lyrics by Larry Morey unless stated:
  • 'There is Life' by David Friedman
  • 'First Sign of Spring' by Michelle Lewis and Daniel Petty
  • 'Through Your Eyes' by Richard Marx and Dean Pitchford
  • 'The Healing of a Heart' by Marcus Hummon
  • 'Love Is a Song'
  • 'Let's Sing a Gay Little Spring Song'
Spin Off Of
  • Bambi (1942) – 64 years earlier
Bechdel TestFail

Also known as Bambi and the Great Prince of the Forest, this is a sequel to Disney's third flop. The film is not based on Bambis Kinder: Eine Familie im Walde (Bambi's Children: The Story of a Forest Family), author Felix Salten's 1939 sequel to Bambi.

The original Bambi was rush-released during a financial crisis at Disney. Approximately ten minutes' worth of story was never completed and, in the scenes that were rush-finished, the eye and skin colour of several characters including Thumper's sisters and Faline change from scene to scene and even during scenes. This makes Bambi II one of the few DisneyToon sequels to be technically superior to the original film. Many of the cut scenes were included in this film, which is technically a midquel2 to the original. Some of the original oil-painting backgrounds were scanned into a computer and re-used.

Despite the original story's setting in Austria, Disney populated the forest with animals more familiar to American audiences. Bambi is shown as a white-tailed deer rather than a roe deer. Although Patrick Stewart steals every scene he is in, one cannot help but wonder how the film would be had it starred a genuine Austrian actor instead, such as Arnold Schwarzenegger. On release, Bambi II held the record for the sequel released the longest after the original, being made 64 years after Bambi. Patrick Stewart was the only actor in this film to have been alive when the first film was released. It has the distinction of being both the last Disney film and the last animated film to have a VHS release.

This film is particularly suitable for very little children but is unlikely to entertain older children for long.

35. Brother Bear 2 (2006)

DirectorsBen Gluck
ReleaseDirect-to-Video
PlotMating season and spring is almost here! Bears Kenai and Koda awake from hibernation. Kenai, who used to be human, had dreamed of his childhood sweetheart, Nita, to whom he once gave an amulet as a token of his affection. Nita is about to get married but her wedding day is ruined by spirits. Only if she and Kenai travel to Hokani Falls together, where the amulet was exchanged, and burn it during the Equinox will the spirits let Nita give her heart to another. Will Nita and Kenai succeed in this mission and work together in the goal of breaking apart, or will Koda become jealous of their bond?
Length74 minutes
SettingSpring, Prehistoric Northwest America
Animation TypeCel
Characters
  • Kenai, a bear who was once a man (Patrick Dempsey)
  • Koda, a bear cub (Jeremy Suarez)
  • Nita, Kenai's childhood sweetheart (Mandy Moore)
  • Rutt & Tuke, moose (Rick Moranis & Dave Thomas)
  • Anda & Kata, female moose (Andrea Martin & Catherine O'Hara)
  • Tug, a bear (Michael Clarke Duncan)
  • Atka, Nita's fiancé (Jeff Bennett)
  • Innoko, shaman (Wanda Sykes)
  • Aunts Siqniq and Taqqiq (Wendie Malick & Kathy Najimy)
  • Chilcoot, Nita's father (Jim Cummings)
MusicComposed by Melissa Etheridge unless stated:
  • 'Welcome To This Day'
  • 'Feels Like Home' by Matthew Gerrard and Robbie Nevil
  • 'It Will Be Me'
Spin Off Of
  • Brother Bear (2003) – 3 years earlier
Bechdel TestPass

Joaquin Phoenix chose not to return to play Kenai. This is one of only two DisneyToon Studios films in which the sequel has a higher rating than the original on film website Rotten Tomatoes3. Although the standard of animation is much lower than that of Brother Bear, the story is much more engaging. The cast also impressed Disney officials enough for Patrick Dempsey to be cast as the main male in Enchanted in 2007 and Mandy Moore would play Rapunzel in Tangled (2010).

36. The Fox and the Hound 2 (2006)

DirectorJim Kammerud
ReleaseDirect-to-Video
PlotYoung hound Copper constantly trips over his ears. Tired of being called a 'bad dog', he travels with his fox friend Tod to visit a travelling fayre. There he hears a group of singing dogs, 'The Singin' Strays', and is enchanted. The two lead singers, Cash and Dixie, argue and Dixie refuses to perform. Copper sings along during the next performance and is invited to replace Dixie in the band. He is told that they are expecting a talent scout from the Grand Ole Opry and will become famous. Dazzled, he stops spending time with Tod. Will Copper become famous and leave his home, and can his friendship with Tod survive?
Length66 minutes
SettingEarly 20th Century America near Nashville
Animation TypeCel
InspirationThe Fox and the Hound (1967) by Daniel P Mannix
Characters
  • Tod, a young fox (Jonah Bobo)
  • Copper, a young hound (Harrison Fahn)
  • The Singin' Strays:
    • Dixie, singing dog (Reba McEntire)
    • Cash, singing dog (Patrick Swayze)
    • Granny Rose, singing dog (Vicki Lawrence)
    • Waylon and Floyd, singing dog brothers (Jim Cummings)
  • Lyle, Singin' Strays' trainer (Jeff Foxworthy)
  • Winchell P Bickerstaff, talent scout (Stephen Root)
  • Chief, older hound (Rob Paulsen)
  • Widow Tweed, Tod's owner (Russi Taylor)
  • Amos Slade, Copper's hunting owner (Jeff Bennett)
  • Zelda, Dixie's pet cat (Kath Soucie)
MusicComposed by Marcus Hummon unless stated:
  • 'Friends for Life'
  • 'We're in Harmony' by Will Robinson
  • 'Hound Dude' by Will Robinson
  • 'Good Doggie, No Bone!'
  • 'Blue Beyond' by Gordon Kennedy and Blair Masters
  • 'We Go Together'
  • 'You Know I Will' by Gordon Kennedy
Spin Off Of
  • The Fox and the Hound (1981) – 25 years earlier
Bechdel TestFail

This film has quite an impressive soundtrack, which was recorded in Nashville, Tennessee. This was the last Disney film to use the 'Walt Disney Pictures' stripy castle on a blue background logo first introduced on The Black Cauldron (1985). The Grand Ole Opry is a real Country and Western radio programme in Nashville.

37. Cinderella III: A Twist in Time (2007)

DirectorFrank Nissen
ReleaseDirect-to-Video
Plot Cinderella has been happily married to Prince Charming for a year. After acquiring the Fairy Godmother's wand, Lady Tremaine uses it to travel back in time to the day the slipper fitted. She uses it to make her daughter Anastacia's foot fit the glass slipper and casts a spell on the prince so that he believes it is Anastacia he danced with at the ball. Can true love defeat a magic spell? Will the Handsome Prince marry the wicked stepsister and be the Stepmother's son-in-law? Does the Prince look even more like an Action Man doll than usual, and will he actually do something for once?
Length71 minutes
Setting An unnamed mediæval kingdom
Animation TypeCel
InspirationThe French fairy tale popularised by Charles Perrault, 1697
Characters
  • Cinderella (Jennifer Hale)
  • Prince Charming (Christopher Daniel Barnes)
  • Lady Tremaine, Cinderella's wicked stepmother (Susanne Blakeslee)
  • Anastasia Tremaine, Cinderella's stepsister (Tress MacNeille)
  • Fairy Godmother (Russi Taylor)
  • Drizella Tremaine, Cinderella's other stepsister (Russi Taylor)
  • King (Andre Stojka)
  • Grand Duke (Rob Paulsen)
  • Prudence (Holland Taylor)
Animated Animals
  • Jaq, a mouse (Rob Paulsen)
  • Octavius 'Gus', a mouse (Corey Burton)
  • Lucifer, a cat (Frank Welker)
MusicComposed by Alan Zachary and Michael Weiner unless stated:
  • 'Perfectly Perfect'
  • 'More Than A Dream
  • 'Anastasia's Theme
  • 'At the Ball'
  • 'I Still Believe' by Matthew Gerrard and Bridget Benenate
Spin Off Of
BechdelPass

A strong improvement on the weak Cinderella II: Dreams Come True (2002). The film enjoys the same cast. Prudence, who was introduced in Cinderella II, appears in this film and the baker that Anastacia is in love with appears as a picture in the end credits, but this film does not appear to be a direct sequel to the second film. This was the last film made at Disney Australia's studio before it closed.

38. Disney Princess Enchanted Tales: Follow Your Dreams (2007)

DirectorDavid Block
ReleaseDirect-to-video
PlotTwo princesses learn the value of perseverance
Component Parts
  1. Keys to the Kingdom
    King Stefan, Queen Leah, King Hubert and Prince Phillip leave the kingdom to attend a conference, leaving Princess Aurora behind to rule in their absence. Will magic solve all the kingdom's problems or will the quick and easy way be no match for perseverance?

  2. More than a Peacock Princess
    Princess Jasmine is bored of the same, meaningless chores and wishes for more responsibility. Will she cope as the Royal Assistant Educator at the Royal Academy for misbehaving pupils, and can she find and return an unrideable, runaway horse?

Length53 minutes
Setting
  1. An unnamed mediæval kingdom in the 14th Century
  2. Fictional Arabian country of Agrabah
Animation TypeCel
Inspiration
  1. La Belle au bois dormant or The Beauty sleeping in the Wood by Charles Perrault (1697)
  2. Les Mille et Une Nuits, aka Arabian Nights, translated from Arabic into French by Antoine Galland in 1710
Characters
  • Narrator (Susanne Blakeslee)
  • Princess Aurora (Erin Torpey)
  • King Stefan (Corey Burton)
  • Queen Leah and Flora (Barbara Dirickson)
  • King Hubert and Duke (Jeff Bennett)
  • Prince Phillip (Roger Craig Smith)
  • Fauna (Russi Taylor)
  • Merriweather (Tress MacNeille)
  • Princess Jasmine (Linda Larkin)
  • Iago (Gilbert Gottfried)
  • Sultan (Jeff Bennett)
  • Hakeem (Zack Shada)
  • Sharma (Tara Strong)
MusicSongs by Amy Powers and Russ DeSalvo:
  • 'Keys To The Kingdom'
  • 'Peacock Princess'
  • 'I've Got My Eyes On You'
Spin Off Of
  • Sleeping Beauty (1959) – 48 years earlier
  • Aladdin (1992) – 15 years earlier
Bechdel TestPass

This was intended to be just the first in a whole series of Disney Princess Enchanted Tales videos; however, executive John Lasseter cancelled them, despite a trailer promoting the next one, showing Belle singing to Chip, being included on the DVD release. From the quality of this film it is not difficult to ascertain why the tales were cancelled, featuring as it does two shorts with the same moral message repeatedly reinforced with the subtlety of a sledgehammer. The first half's plot is identical to part of Cinderella II: Dreams Come True in any case.

The Aladdin segment does feature three of the original voice cast: not only the original artists behind Jasmine and Iago but also Frank Welker who played both Abu and tiger Rajah. Corey Burton, who had briefly appeared as Prince Achmed in Aladdin, plays Aurora's father King Stefan.

39. The Little Mermaid III: Ariel's Beginning (2008)

DirectorPeggy Holmes
ReleaseDirect-to-Video
PlotAfter seeing his beloved wife Queen Athena killed through being run over by a passing pirate ship, King Triton, heartbroken, bans all music in Atlantica. Ten years later his youngest daughter, Ariel, discovers an underwater club where music-lovers gather in secret, including Sebastian, King Triton's chief advisor. This plays into the hands of her governess, Marina, who longs to govern the kingdom.
Length75 minutes
SettingAtlantica, under the sea
Animation TypeCel
InspirationThe Little Mermaid (1837) by Hans Christian Anderson
Characters
  • Ariel, a little mermaid (Jodi Benson)
  • Sebastian, a music-loving crab and Triton's chief advisor (Samuel E Wright)
  • King Triton, Ruler of Atlantica and Ariel's father (Jim Cummings)
  • Marina Del Rey, ambitious governess (Sally Field)
  • Flounder, a fish (Parker Gorís)
  • Ariel's sisters:
    • Attina (Kari Wahlgren)
    • Alana (Jennifer Hale)
    • Adella (Tara Strong)
    • Aquata (Grey DeLisle)
    • Arista (Grey DeLisle)
    • Andrina (Tara Strong)
  • Benjamin, a manatee (Jeff Bennett)
  • Queen Athena (Singing: Andrea Robinson; Speaking: Lorelei Hill Butters)
MusicComposed by Jeanine Tesori unless stated:
  • 'Part of Your World' by Alan Menken and Howard Ashman
  • 'Athena's Song'
  • 'Just One Mistake
  • 'Jump in the Line' by Raymond Bell, Steven Samuel, Rafael de León and Gabriel Oller
  • 'I Remember'
  • 'I Will Sing'
Spin Off Of
  • The Little Mermaid (1989) – 19 years earlier
Bechdel TestPass

Known also as The Little Mermaid III and The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning, it tells the story of how Ariel restored music to the kingdom of Atlantica and reveals a little about Ariel's mother, who is the spitting image of Ariel herself. Most of the voice cast from the original film returned except Kenneth Mars, who had pancreatic cancer, was replaced by Jim Cummings as Triton. Ariel's sisters have a larger role than in previous films. Tara Strong, who had played Ariel's daughter Melody in The Little Mermaid II, plays Adella and Andrina while Grey DeLisle is Aquata and Arista.

This was Peggy Holmes' first full film as a director, although she had directed some of the 'Belles on Ice' segment in Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas (2004). She had previously worked with Disney as an actress, dancer and choreographer and had never animated, but her experience as a choreographer was considered invaluable for the numerous dancing sequences. This was DisneyToon Studio's last sequel to a classic film.

40. Tinker Bell (2008)

Only Tinker Bell appeared in previous films. Characters and actors in Bold would appear in later Tinker Bell films.

DirectorBradley Raymond
ReleaseDirect-to-Video
PlotFairies are born when a baby first laughs, but live in a highly stratified society. Each fairy has a talent that defines what work they shall do for the rest of their lives. Much of this work revolves around the changing of the seasons as well as looking after the natural world in general. When Bell is born she learns she is a Tinker, someone who makes and fixes things for everyone else. She is particularly capable of repairing 'Lost Things' - items from the human world. Other fairies look down on tinkers and she learns that because of this, unlike other fairies, she won't get to travel from Pixie Hollow to the Mainland4 to create Spring. Tinker Bell befriends other fairies and desperately tries to be more than a mere tinker, creating havoc and chaos and almost destroying Spring. Can Tinker Bell accept who she is and save not only the day, but the whole season?
Length78 minutes
SettingPixie Hollow in Never Land, and Victorian London
Animation TypeCGI
InspirationPeter Pan, or The Boy Who Wouldn't Grow Up by JM Barrie (play 1904, novel 1911)
Characters
  • Tinker Bell, a tinker fairy (Mae Whitman)
  • Fairy Mary, chief tinker (Jane Horrocks)
  • Rosetta, a garden fairy (Kristin Chenoweth)
  • Silvermist, a water fairy (Lucy Liu)
  • Iridessa, a light fairy (Raven-Symoné)
  • Fawn, an animal fairy (America Ferrera)
  • Vidia, fast-flying fairy (Pamela Adlon)
  • Terence, pixie-dust keeper (Jesse McCartney)
  • Bobble, tinker fairy (Rob Paulsen)
  • Clank, tinker fairy (Jeff Bennett)
  • Queen Clarion, ruler of Pixie Hollow (Anjelica Huston)
  • Minister of Spring (Steve Valentine)
  • Ministers of Summer, Autumn and Winter (Kathy Najimy, Richard Portnow & Gail Borges)
  • Narrator (Loreena McKennitt)
  • Wendy Darling, girl who believes in Peter Pan (America Young)
MusicComposed by Joel McNeely, songs:
  • 'To the Fairies They Draw Near' by Loreena McKennitt
  • 'Fly to Your Heart' by Michelle Tumes
  • 'You Can Fly, You Can Fly, You Can Fly!' music by Sammy Fain, lyrics by Sammy Cahn
  • 'How To Believe' by Summer & Ruby Spiro
Spin Off Of
  • Peter Pan (1953) (55 years earlier)
Films in Series
  • 1. Tinker Bell (2008)
  • 2. Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure (2009)
  • 3. Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue (2010)
  • 4. Tinker Bell: Secret of the Wings (2012)
  • 5. Tinker Bell: The Pirate Fairy (2014)
  • 6. Tinker Bell and the Legend of the NeverBeast (2015)
Bechdel TestPass

Tinker Bell is an amusing and heartwarming film that would change DisneyToon studios forever - it was to be the first film in a trilogy that would launch a whole new merchandise range.

Tinker Bell Tinkering

In 2006 Disney purchased Pixar Animation Studios. Pixar's executives John Lasseter and Ed Catmull were appointed to head Walt Disney Feature Animation, with DisneyToon Studios technically outside their jurisdiction. However, Lasseter felt that DisneyToon Studios' output detracted from the original films. He heavily criticised an early version of Tinker Bell in mid-2007. Reportedly it was to be entirely set in modern-day London, but Lasseter declared the film needed a substantial rewrite to become watchable. The cost of Tinker Bell skyrocketed to over $50 million amidst much speculation that the film would be abandoned. After considering Disney's existing vast investment in the Disney Fairies: Tinker Bell series, it was allowed to continue - it was rewritten and the trilogy proceeded.

The expected 2007 release date was pushed back to 2008 and Sharon Morrill was removed from her position. The firing of one of the first female presidents of a major animation studio attracted criticism and so, after a short period in which the studio was run by Disney Studios President Alan Bergman, Meredith Roberts of Walt Disney Television Animation was appointed Senior Vice President and General Manager of DisneyToon Studios in early 2008.

41. Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure (2009)

DirectorKlay Hall
ReleaseBrief cinema run
PlotAutumn is the time of rebirth in Pixie Hollow. Every eight years the Blue Harvest Moon shines through the Moonstone to create blue pixie dust. This rejuvenates the Pixie Dust Tree, which gives the fairies the ability to fly. Tinker Bell is entrusted with making a sceptre to house the Moonstone. Following an argument with her best friend Terence, the sceptre she has been making breaks and she accidentally shatters the Moonstone. With time running out before the fairies lose the ability to fly forever, she believes that only a long-lost magic mirror that grants wishes has the power to fix the Moonstone. Will she be able to locate the lost mirror, mend the Moonstone and fix her friendship?
Length82 minutes
SettingAutumn in Victorian Pixie Hollow, Neverland
InspirationPeter Pan, or The Boy Who Wouldn't Grow Up by JM Barrie (play 1904, novel 1911)
Animation TypeCGI
Characters
  • Tinker Bell, a tinker fairy (Mae Whitman)
  • Terence, pixie-dust keeper (Jesse McCartney)
  • Fairy Mary, chief tinker (Jane Horrocks)
  • Fairy Gary, chief pixie-dust keeper (Jeff Bennett)
  • Silvermist, a water fairy (Lucy Liu)
  • Iridessa, a light fairy (Raven-Symoné)
  • Rosetta, a garden fairy (Kristin Chenoweth)
  • Fawn, an animal fairy (Angela Bartys)
  • Vidia, fast-flying fairy (Pamela Adlon)
  • Queen Clarion, ruler of Pixie Hollow (Anjelica Huston)
  • Bobble, tinker fairy (Rob Paulsen)
  • Clank, tinker fairy (Jeff Bennett)
  • Lyria, story-telling fairy (Grey Griffin)
  • Narrator (Grey Griffin)
  • Minister of Autumn (John DiMaggio)
MusicComposed by Joel McNeely, songs:
  • 'The Gift Of A Friend' by Adam Watts, Andy Dodd and Demi Lovato
  • 'Fly Away Home' by John Van Tongeren and Debra Van Tongeren
  • 'If You Believe' by Brendan Milburn and Valerie Vigoda
  • 'Fairy Tale Theatre' by Joel McNeely and Seth Friedman
  • 'Where the Sunbeams Play' by Joel McNeely, Brendan Milburn and Valerie Vigoda
  • 'Pixie Dust' by Summer and Ruby Spiro
Spin Off Of
  • Peter Pan (1953) (56 years earlier)
Films in Series
  • 1. Tinker Bell (2008)
  • 3. Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue (2010)
  • 4. Tinker Bell: Secret of the Wings (2012)
  • 5. Tinker Bell: The Pirate Fairy (2014)
  • 6. Tinker Bell and the Legend of the NeverBeast (2015)
Bechdel TestPass

This film features Terence as Tinker Bell's best friend; however, he never features so prominently in any other film in the series. Angela Bartys replaces America Ferrera as Fawn and the Minister of Autumn is now John DiMaggio.

Due to its short cinematic run and being conceived as predominantly a direct-to-video release, Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure did not make the top ten most successful films of the year list.

The Future

In these five years DisneyToon Studios had all-but abandoned cinematic releases but by the end of this time were beginning to find their own identity. John Lasseter made it clear that DisneyToon Studios would no longer make direct-to-video sequels to existing Disney films and cancelled all other sequels that were in various stages of production. DisneyToon Studio's output would be dramatically reduced, but from then on, instead of undermining and exploiting existing films, they would have to establish their own franchises.

1There are different video standards – NTSC in America, which has 525 scan lines and 30 frames per second (fps) and PAL in most of Europe (except France, which uses SECAM) with 625 scan lines and 25fps. When converted from film NTSC duplicates every fourth frame to compensate for the higher frame rate while PAL does not, meaning that unedited films released in Europe are 4% shorter than the same unedited film in America; a film with a 100-minute runtime in the US is 96 minutes long in Europe.2A sequel is set after the original film, a prequel is set before the original film and a midquel is set during, or in the middle of, the events of the film it is based on.3The other being An Extremely Goofy Movie.4Here 'the Mainland' refers to the human world, particularly London, not Lymington, Portsmouth or Southampton as seen from the Isle of Wight.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Edited Entry

A87958930

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more