Spot the Researcher

1 Conversation

Researchers Partying

This is a little word puzzle to help while away those long December nights. There are no prizes, but the answers will be posted at a later date.

When I first joined h2g2 I used to compile a regular quiz where people had to find words hidden within other, longer words. It might be the names of fruit and vegetables hidden within book titles, or birds hidden within songs, or whatever. I still compile the odd puzzle and post them on my h2g2 journal. Anyway, this is a h2g2-themed version which you might like to have a go at.

In this puzzle, you need to spot the names of h2g2 researchers hidden within the titles of h2g2 Edited Guide Entries. The length of the hidden name is shown in brackets, so, for example, if the title of the entry was...

Tick if You do Not Wish to Receive Further Information (8)

...then the hidden researcher would be "Icy North". The letters appear in order within the title:

tICk if You do NOt wish to Receive furTHer Information

Before You Start

There are 30 researchers to find. I've chosen well-known, well-established names as far as possible. I haven't included all the additional gubbins that people add to their name tags from time to time ('Keeper of the mystic hamster cage', etc). I've also ignored spaces, capitalisation and punctuation. One name uses one or more digits from the title. You may find additional researchers that I hadn't spotted. Award yourself bonus points if you do!

That's about it. What are you waiting for? Off you go!


1Charles Dickens - Author(8)
2Climbing Greasy Poles(5)
3Football World Cup - 1950: Brazil(5)
4Getting the Most out of a Pizza Restaurant Chain(9)
5Hangover Cures(5)
6Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle(8)
7Hershey's 5th Avenue Chocolate Bars(8)
8How to Build a Snowman(5)
9Japan for the Visitor(6)
10Making a Chemical Garden(6)
11Naper Settlement - A Museum Village in Naperville, Illinois USA(9)
12National Botanic Garden of Wales(7)
13Object-oriented Programming (6)
14Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA(6)
15Portchester Castle, Hampshire, England, UK.(9)
16Removing Wallpaper(5)
17Shaving Your Patient's Face(7)
18Supporting British Tennis Players at Wimbledon(8)
19Telling a Tall Tale - A Primer(7)
20The Great Lakes of North America(8)
21The h2g2 Calendar - 8 - August(5)
22The Halifax Explosion(8)
23The Humvee - a Military Vehicle(6)
24The Last Words of the American Founding Fathers(10)
25The Maltings Pub, Edinburgh, Scotland(6)
26The Natural History Museum, London, UK(8)
27Tips for Backpackers: Travelling Around(8)
28Tips on Moving in with Someone(6)
29Trousers versus Pants(6)
30Why Someone Might Choose Neo-Paganism Over Mainstream Religion(11)

Competitions and Quizzes Archive

Icy North

14.12.09 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A60561452

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more