The Humvee - a Military Vehicle Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

The Humvee - a Military Vehicle

1 Conversation

In 1979, the United States military started to look for a replacement for the venerable Jeep of World War II fame. The military also wanted their new vehicle to be versatile and fulfil a variety of roles. The new vehicle would be a one-and-a-quarter-ton truck, versus the half-ton Jeep. In 1985, the M998 High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV) entered service.

The Humvee, the more pronounceable and sellable version of the acronym HMMWV, is the ultimate off road wheeled vehicle. It is a durable vehicle capable of negotiating virtually any terrain. Unlike many civilian Sport Utility Vehicles, the Humvee was specifically designed to be an off road vehicle rather than being a modified truck. During the Gulf War, the United States used some Dodge 4x4s and Chevrolet Suburbans. They also purchased a large number of Toyota Land Cruisers. It was not uncommon to have Humvees push or pull these vehicles when they were stuck.

The Humvee is a four-wheel-drive vehicle with a diesel V-8 engine. It's geared for off-road use, and it isn't much fun to drive on the highway. Its specifications say that it has a top speed of 65 miles per hour. It will go faster, but you won't like it. The Humvee is 7.08 feet (2.16 metres) wide, and it's virtually impossible to overturn. The Humvee can climb 60% grade, descend on a 45% grade1 and negotiate 40% lateral grades. They can ford water up to 2.5 feet deep without modification. With an extended air intake and exhaust vent, the six-feet-tall Humvee can go through five feet of water.

The military Humvee has a several versions. The basic version of the Humvee is a soft-top vehicle that can seat four passengers. With a different kit, the back seats can be removed and bench seats can be put along the sides of the vehicle. There is an armoured Humvee that can be mounted with the Mark 19 Grenade Launcher, M-2 .50 calibre machine gun, M-60 7.62mm machine gun, or the TOW anti-tank missile. There are also versions that are mounted with Stinger Anti-Aircraft Missiles and an ambulance.

The Humvee was one of the symbols of the Gulf War that was often shown on television. Along with the press came an interest in the Humvee in the civilian community. AMC started producing a street-legal2 version of the Humvee called the Hummer.

1Yes, over-enthusiastic drivers can climb steeper hills than they can get down.2The military Humvee does not meet requirements for civilian vehicles that operate on the public highways of the United States.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A875504

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more