h2g2 Post 27.03.2000

0 Conversations


Posted: 27th March 2000

Life seems to get stranger by the day!

A Russian Pensioner's birthday plans were wrecked when her intended dinner dish fought back, Mayak Radio reported this week. Maria Kimenko, who had invited some friends round to help her celebrate her 70th birthday, spotted a handsome Pike weighing an impressive 10Kg. She paid for the fish, but disaster struck when she tried to place it in her shopping basket. It obviously decided that it wasn't ready for the pot just yet, as it sank it's teeth into her wrist and held on. Luckily, fellow shoppers came to her rescue! The fish was detached, and a tourniquet applied to her arm where a vein had been severed. I think that I will buy my fish frozen from now on!


The age-old war between England and France is still raging in South West France apparently. A villager from the town of 'Reynies' took his British neighbour to court over some noisy frogs! (No disrespect intended by the ed.!) The Frenchman complained that a pond built by his neighbour was attracting the frogs, whose croaking was making life intolerable for his sick wife. He lost the case. The Britons' lawyer argued that the town's name itself was derived from the French for 'Tree Frog'. The plaintiff countered that the name was, in fact, of Germanic origin, but the judge wasn't happy with that statement, and threw the case out.


On a slightly more serious note, the British Medical Association met on Saturday to discuss the impact of hundreds of Web Sites purporting to give medical advice. They are concerned that too many people may rely on the information displayed within these sites, some of which are grossly inaccurate. If you are ill... go and see your Doctor... but read this week's edition of the Post first!


shazzPRME

  • 1-2-1

  • Remember that article about the thinking computer programme?
    Well here's the guy who wrote it.

  • Take 5

  • The pick of this week's batch of new Guide entries.

  • Agony Aunt

  • h2g2 is not a 'normal' community, it doesn't have 'normal' problems,

    therefore a 'normal' Agony Aunt would be useless.

    Ours is far from 'normal'.

  • h2g2 Clubs

  • h2g2 is getting big.

    Here a a good way of finding people on it.

  • Virtual Tower of London

  • After last week's virtual trip along the river Thames,

    why not take a tour of the Tower of London?

  • The Think Tank


  • A central point to exchange ideas on articles.

    Whether you're writing a future Guide entry and want some help with spelling,

    grammar or content, or you have a few moments to spare and wish to proof read

    for a fellow researcher, this is the place.


Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A474842

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more