Will This Winter Never End?

1 Conversation

OK, Now they admit it, the winters were better during World War 2! The newspapers tell us that there was more cold, dry weather with sparkling snow in sparkling sunshine in the
good old days when Everything was Better.


This winter it has been raining 70% more than usual! No wonder people have been grumpy. After months of dark, cold, wetness we all long for the spring. The local newspaper has sent out a call for evidence of spring (vÄrtegn). Anything that can be associated with the coming of the new season is welcome, like an early flower, small green tips on twigs, findings of last years lost marbles... We want to wear light shoes instead of these heavy boots, we want to wear miniskirts and sunglasses. We want green. Green, green, green!

You wouldn't think that eyes could get hungry, but they do. The whole population is longing to be able to visit sidewalk restaurants, drinking beer in the sun; even those of us who don't drink. We want to sit outside and feel the warmth from the sun turn our dough-white faces into rosy pink, stretch our hunched bodies to full length and look at each other again. We want to recognise faces not seen since last summer, even if we have been in the same town all the time... the most desperate of us gives up and leaves, at least for a while!


Best regards from Birthe (off to Lanzarote, Canary Islands in two weeks time!)

So, the sun is shining as I write this, it's still ****** cold!

(Have a great time then! Ed.)


Bumblebee


27.03.00. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A504695

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more