A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What's Wrong With Americans

Post 6081

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

Interesting, Rev...

Post 6082

seargantFlipper

Rev. Are you serious? A commercial like that is actually on the air? You would think that a somewhat intelligent person would see through it, but as they say "the masses are asses"

Abbi, I don't know about the Iraqi oil co. My knowledge here in Iraq is more on the tactical street level, with a certain amount of knowledge about the rebuilding activities through experience. As far as the war ending. "Major combat" ended in May. Basically when Baghdad fell Bush called the war over, yes folks it was a press move. I didn't see any contractors until mid may. I am sure that all of the projects are costing more than they should. There is fleecing going on but that is what DC is all about, right? However, you have to keep in mind that a project over here is going to cost more than it would in N America or Europe. Not just security, but the difficulty of not having the infrasturcture to support it. I wish you could post pictures on this site. I have a lot of good ones.

I know a lot of you out there such as Della (and I think you too Abbi?) think we should pull out immediately and hand Iraqis the reins. But we are putting the pieces in place to do that. Forming governments, building infrastructure I have been involved with the training and equipping of Iraqi Police and military.

America is a young country and modern society is getting very used to instant gratification. Both of these combine to make people very impatient. I think the biggest thing we need right now is to spend the time and money to make Afghanistan and Iraq viable nations where economic growth and freedom are possible. If we can do that I think that positive examples of Muslim states competing on th world market will take a lot more wind out of the sails of the terrorist recruiters than military power ever could

Post 6083

abbi normal "Putting on the Ritz" with Dr Frankenstein

Since we are there I think the worst thing we could do is pull out quickly.

I have not gotten over the shame and disgust about the Shiites (is it?) that were promised help by the Sr Bush and then desserted which slaughtered another 400,ooo people.

I think they are owed a huge apology at the very least. They should not be desserted in that way.

The Iraquis must have a sense of power before we leave.

I also cannot help but think the decade or more of sanctions should have clued the US into what shape the infrastucture would be in. The UN had reports that were not considered. They could have used their information more efficiently.France and Germany and Russia knew the shape they were in from being sub-contractors there.

The lack of planning for the rebuilding is negligent.

Post 6084

Saturnine

Ever heard of a political void?

No one in their right mind would think Iraq should be left to the Iraqi's right now.

(Especially when they would rather hand it back to the warlords than set up a brand new shiny democratic structure.)

However, I would still like to know whether the war we have caused is about humanitarian issues, or our own safety. I'm still just a *little* confused... smiley - bigeyes

Post 6085

I would like to see the pictures ,too bad they cannot be posted.

I have not been to your page Sargent Flipper but a diary would be wonderful. Do you have one here or would you consider doing one about your daily life there?

*waves* Saturnine ( sorry if spelling is wrong it's been a while!)

Post 6086

clzoomer- a bit woobly

smiley - book

Post 6087

Oetzi Oetztaler....Anti Apartheid

That 13yr old Canuk Kid again.

Slouching towards Washington

Post 6088

A Super Furry Animal

Well, I don't know what the editorial policy of the NYT is, so can't comment...but, what exactly is wrong with (i) eating sushi, (ii) driving a Volvo? I have theoretical objections to everything else on that list, though (including polluting your coffee with lactic products).

Slouching towards Washington

Post 6089

A Super Furry Animal

Sorry, shoulda said, that's in response to post 6080 smiley - blush

Post 6090

Saturnine

Oetzi? What are you talking about when you say : "That 13yr old Canuk Kid again"? You've put that in a few threads now. Very odd.

Post 6091

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

smiley - catsmiley - peacedove (Waves - Hi, Saturnine!)

Post 6092

Saturnine

*waves back*

So has anyone worked out what's wrong with Americans, or shall the thread spin on? smiley - smiley

Post 6093

"Uncle Sam wants you"

http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0109/dailyUpdate.html?s=mets
Numbers of volunteer troops available lowest in 30 years

http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0352/mondo2.php
US looks to Canadas native Inuits for volunteers

I am also wondering if the non-citizens that are serving in the US military will gain citizenship if so desired?

Post 6094

Emotionally Zoom is 13 and I'm 12. We're two kids who never grew up.
That's why we keep falling out. He likes me eally but pretends not to. I like him all the time. It's sad.

I beg you pardon. It was the sight of his post. I had not seen him post up for some time.

Post 6095

Aw you missed zoomer, he has that effect on people.

Post 6096

Yeah I know.

Post 6097

toolman2

Well one thing I feel is wrong: At age 20 you cannot drink in the USA, yet you are old enough to die for your country. I am American and feel Iraq is so messed up it will take a long time to get better. You see all the press "experts" from other countries who say it should not be a long drawn out occupation by the USA, yet when in history has this been done before with success and exactly when should this end and why, I would like to see their logic.

Post 6098

http://www.worldmag.com/world/issue/01-17-04/international_2.asp

A view of the new Afghan constitution (from the right-wing)
Not done there yetsmiley - erm

Post 6099

Hello Toolman
The press need to sell copy.
Take the content with a sceptical eye.

Post 6100

badger party tony party green party

So it sounds like the Bush and the boys are saying as long as you dont back terrorism you can be as religiously fanatical as you like just do it through your parliament so it looks good to the rest of the world.

Well at least they are true to their word. They are exporting US democracy.The US has a constitution based on religious codes. It persecutes minorities and passes all its religiously biased laws through its government.

Shame they cant give up illegal use of millitary force like they want other countries to.

God Bless America.

smiley - rainbow

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more